v Millwall (H) Match Thread

Day

20 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

A bit too much inexperience in the lineup tonight. You need to stand up to the likes of Millwall and we got bullied first half, which is disappointing.

Second half much improved but we still rarely looked like scoring. Having said that, Millwall offered nothing 2nd half, and we should have had a penalty.

It is what it is. Give me a DCFC at the end of the season, regardless of division and I'll be happy.

Final word for the ex-Rams tonight. Evans and Pearce are fine. Bennett is irrelevant for me, mainly because he's just clearly an idiot, he just isn't intelligent.

Scott Malone though. He's that guy at school who people hated yet somehow hung out with the popular kids. A deeply unpleasant banker. Genuinely, there aren't many former players I like less and his attitude when he returns to play here is incredibly unprofessional. I'm disappointed Kaz didn't leave one on him tbh 

QED

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

4 minutes added on. At least 2 minutes wasted. Ref blows on 94:17 ?‍♂️

The ref in injury time was a disgrace.  Looked a strong shout for penalty not given, playacting by their guy at the throw in and then he books allsop not the Milwall guy. Alreday  loads of timewasting and then another two minutes wasted even in injury time still he blows with nothing added on. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

It’s no good blaming the size of the squad. We looked just as good as them in the second half and we still had fresh legs on the bench. We got it wrong. 

How so? 

It's potentially worrying. Rooney said he got it wrong in smogville. We're running out of chances to get it wrong and then come back from it. 

Sometimes I look on and wonder why some footballers have a complete lack of self respect. Tonight was one of those nights. Their number 2 was an embarrassing cockwomble. Why couldn’t Lawrence have waited a match and stuck it on someone who deserved it. Malone would have also fit the bill. Made him a millionaire and he has no humility whatsoever. I don’t know who Millwall are playing on Saturday but I imagine they have started wasting time already. Celebrated like they had won the league. Ran towards their fans on the final whistle. Surprised they could find them. Tinpot club. Tinpot fans.

#Duckthe EFL

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Their right back was about 5’9 and Buchanan couldn’t win a header against him. Why did he not play Forsyth tonight?

Rooney has this strange obsession with Buchanan.

He was good last season and Rooney started saying he's a future England player.

This season Forsyth has been better and should play in my opinion. We look a better side with him in it, more experience and generally a better balance.

Disappointing - yes. Disheartening - no!

We were up against a savvy, dour, physical team, gave ourselves a mountain to climb after just 2 minutes and despite plenty of effort we just didn't have the quality to break them down.

A few observations. We will fail to get the benefit of Festy's talent until he learns when to make a pass - too many times he turned infield and into a dead end when Knight and Byrne made overlapping runs. We must be the worst team in the Championship at taking throw-ins, with one instance where Byrne took one inside our half and gifted Millwall a chance. I didn't think the ref was as poor as some make out but the East Stand lino had a mare, missing 2 obvious off-sides because he wasn't capable of keeping up with play.

For me, MOTM Cashin (again).

1 hour ago, Brammie Steve said:

He had a beautiful daughter too!image.png.6e0273bf9046b6495c922cc4c832bac8.png

I know right? The mother had to have been a looker because he was a furry orc of a man...

I never thought I'd get through the bitter disappointment of defeat to Millwall through the in-law's fondness for regional detective series, I'm just gutted the BBC never commissioned Swallow...

48 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

How so? 

It's potentially worrying. Rooney said he got it wrong in smogville. We're running out of chances to get it wrong and then come back from it. 

The first half was just soggy. Wrong starting line up for me by some way. The Bielik/Bird conundrum unresolved. Underestimating the benefit of Fozzie’s and Stearman’s experience. Endless long balls (including from Allsop) to no target (except occasionally Festy), aerial crosses into a box with no one up front who will score headers, Plange for long periods playing off no one, or attackers running across each other. At the moment I don’t see Lee or Louis as starters against a craggy team like that, they don’t have the edge (mystified by the recent attempt to play Lee at CB). We have given up the high pace overloading midfield that served us so well in Dec/Jan (admittedly Tommo went off the boil and Joz is injured but it is what our youngsters do best at least the fast ones and teams find it hard to counter). And Festy’s licence to roam seems to have been confiscated but maybe that only works when Fozzie is on. The second half was Much better  - CKR brought some sense to proceedings, Ebiowei did nicely and Morrison had one of his better games. But too late by then (and I’m not sure there is correlation between Morrison playing well and us winning) 

Don’t mind him experimenting but today’s failings we have seen before. So maybe Bielik should come on after 30 mins or more. Festy is our biggest threat but perhaps hold him back until the game is more stretched, he struggles to manage 90.    We miss Jags - so should we play Bielik deep with Bird central and ahead of him? (Bielik plays out of defence like no one in the league and it’s Rooney’s way). Bird needs to play centrally I think or not at all. Or do we throw caution and play Bielik as AM ? He can score, he has the killer pass ... There needs to be a plan and none was evident today until it was too late

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

The first half was just soggy. Wrong starting line up for me by some way. The Bielik/Bird conundrum unresolved. Underestimating the benefit of Fozzie’s and Stearman’s experience. Endless long balls (including from Allsop) to no target (except occasionally Festy), aerial crosses into a box with no one up front who will score headers, Plange for long periods playing off no one, or attackers running across each other. At the moment I don’t see Lee or Louis as starters against a craggy team like that, they don’t have the edge (mystified by the recent attempt to play Lee at CB). We have given up the high pace overloading midfield that served us so well in Dec/Jan (admittedly Tommo went off the boil and Joz is injured but it is what our youngsters do best at least the fast ones and teams find it hard to counter). And Festy’s licence to roam seems to have been confiscated but maybe that only works when Fozzie is on. The second half was Much better  - CKR brought some sense to proceedings, Ebiowei did nicely and Morrison had one of his better games. But too late by then (and I’m not sure there is correlation between Morrison playing well and us winning) 

Don’t mind him experimenting but today’s failings we have seen before. So maybe Bielik should come on after 30 mins or more. Festy is our biggest threat but perhaps hold him back until the game is more stretched, he struggles to manage 90.    We miss Jags - so should we play Bielik deep with Bird central and ahead of him? (Bielik plays out of defence like no one in the league and it’s Rooney’s way). Bird needs to play centrally I think or not at all. Or do we throw caution and play Bielik as AM ? He can score, he has the killer pass ... There needs to be a plan and none was evident today until it was too late

I think we need to find that balance again between the youth and experience. Forsyth and Stearman should come back in.

That was quite difficult to watch tonight tbh. The first half was pretty shocking defensively, Millwall looked dangerous every time they came forward. Cashin looked out of his depth and the shape fell to pieces too easily with Millwall overloading, stretching and then putting it in the middle to find a man. They could have scored 4 in the first half and the midfield struggled to manage the midfield of the park. On the attacking side, at times we did look dangerous but this didn't happen often enough. 

In the second half, it was clear Millwall backed off, let us have the ball and take their chances that we couldn't break through. That is often the Achilles hell of rowetball, it's programmed to suck up the pressure it can at times negate the attacking display that is possible. The few times they did go forward we again didn't look like we could really contain them tbh. I thought we didn't look like we could lay a glove on them. Plange and Colin didn't work well as a 2 tonight really and we couldn't get a way in behind. 

I do think we are starting to run out of steam. They looked tired, out of ideas and couldn't pull themselves out of first gear. I'm not saying the great escape is over but this could be the beginning of the end of the story. The lack of fresh bodies and a slight uptick in form from reading could be what dooms us to league 1 next season. Being 8 points adrift with 13 to play is difficult to overcome and we'll need every point we can muster at home as our away form has been pretty poor all season. 

Still trying to work out why the ref gave them the free kick for the 1st goal. It wasn't the reason we lost but against a Rowett team it was the worst possible start. To be fair to them I thought they did knock it about quite well and the deficit could have been worse at half time.

Despite it being a lacklustre display I still felt we could get something from the game as surprisingly for a Rowett team they didn't look great at the back. We just lacked the guile to exploit that. 

Apart from one loose pass I thought Cashin had a decent game again. The signs are good that he will only get better. Thought Ebiowei had a bit of a swagger about him when he came on and could well be a useful weapon from the bench. It's a set back but whilst it's still possible we have to fight on. UTR.

7 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Disappointing - yes. Disheartening - no!

We were up against a savvy, dour, physical team, gave ourselves a mountain to climb after just 2 minutes and despite plenty of effort we just didn't have the quality to break them down.

A few observations. We will fail to get the benefit of Festy's talent until he learns when to make a pass - too many times he turned infield and into a dead end when Knight and Byrne made overlapping runs. We must be the worst team in the Championship at taking throw-ins, with one instance where Byrne took one inside our half and gifted Millwall a chance. I didn't think the ref was as poor as some make out but the East Stand lino had a mare, missing 2 obvious off-sides because he wasn't capable of keeping up with play.

For me, MOTM Cashin (again).

I am pretty sure Festy has an injury, holding back. Didn’t go at full pace once.