v Millwall (H) Match Thread

Day

22 hours ago, angieram said:

But it's a fact. 

I think Bielik is potentially the best player we have by a country mile but he isn't producing it yet.

Last night, I think he was less effective than Bird and was bypassed very easily in midfield at times.

It's a dilemma for Wayne because he needs to play matches to get his match fitness back but we suffer in the meantime. Once we lose the ball he is a virtual passenger, he's not mobile enough to cover and because he isn't up to full fitness he is not moving about off the ball. There were many times last night he wasn't available for a pass when we were struggling to get the ball out of defence.

I agree perhaps we should play Bird deeper of the two as he gets us playing and is more mobile when we lose the ball.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We were struggling to retain possession, putting ourselves under a lot of pressure. Those two players give the ball away more than most

If you don't take risks you can keep possession for ever, and never look like scoring. I know it's about balance, but I think it's odd to remove your attacking threats when you're 0-2 down.

25 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If you don't take risks you can keep possession for ever, and never look like scoring. I know it's about balance, but I think it's odd to remove your attacking threats when you're 0-2 down.

We improved with the substitutions

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

We improved with the substitutions

You and @RoyMac5point this out and it's true, but I think it's very likely we'd have improved anyway. Yes we made substitutions and we also improved, but did we improve because of the substitutions? It was incredibly frustrating that no one seemed interested in even taking a shot in the second half until about the 85th minute. Our goal came from a deflected cross. We had a lot of possession in their half, but we also took off the two players most likely to pose a major threat to the opposition. I'm not sure what the right thing was. A problem was we looked very vulnerable on the rare occasions we were attacked, partly because we're building up Bielik in midfield but he isn't there yet. And partly because we're threadbare at the back. So you can understand Rooney wanting to take fewer risks, but we're also in the last chance saloon when we need to do a lot of successful gambling to survive.

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

You and @RoyMac5point this out and it's true, but I think it's very likely we'd have improved anyway. Yes we made substitutions and we also improved, but did we improve because of the substitutions? It was incredibly frustrating that no one seemed interested in even taking a shot in the second half until about the 85th minute. Our goal came from a deflected cross. We had a lot of possession in their half, but we also took off the two players most likely to pose a major threat to the opposition. I'm not sure what the right thing was. A problem was we looked very vulnerable on the rare occasions we were attacked, partly because we're building up Bielik in midfield but he isn't there yet. And partly because we're threadbare at the back. So you can understand Rooney wanting to take fewer risks, but we're also in the last chance saloon when we need to do a lot of successful gambling to survive.

I think we looked incredibly inexperienced and also tired. The substitutes helped with that, plus CKR made a difference up front.