VAR for Championship

Curtains

2 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Only if it can work in less than a minute. If not I’d prefer the errors

It does work in less than a minute, It takes the officials an age to decide what they should give after seeing the offence some 20 times, And as most officials are blind a conclusive decision is often not the right one

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Where it is used, what I'd like is to hear the conversation (obviously not if you're at the ground) between the referee and the VAR team as they do in rugby union. If fact, why can't we hear all the conversations with the players again, as we do in Rugby?

I haven't been to a rugby international since the 1980's. 

Though it sometimes takes them a long time, I think it works well. If watching on TV, you can hear what's being discussed. 

Can the crowd in the stadium hear that too?

38 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Though it sometimes takes them a long time, I think it works well. If watching on TV, you can hear what's being discussed. 

Yes you can pay for a receiver and earpiece that is tuned into the refs mic. 

Even then, there are very different levels of reffing chat. I hired one once when Jonathan kaplan was reffing and thought it wasn't working for a while, then heard a quiet "scrum white"..... ?

51 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Edited by Tamworthram

I'm with RadioactiveWaste and nottingram on this. It may make more 'correct' decisions but at what cost ? I love that moment of insanity like when Bielik's overhead kick hit the net. I can live with a glance at the ref and assistant to see if they are indicating goal but the forensic examination to try and find something wrong with a goal is just counterproductive in entertainment terms to me at least and I'm happy enough to take my chances with an official's decision, good or bad. I appreciate that not everyone sees it that way.

On 13/02/2022 at 12:09, Rambalin said:

Wrong decisions are one of the things over the years that has driven the popularity of the game. Making for many friendships bought about debating the rights and wrongs of it. 

Chris Coles raised a theory yesterday that Prem refs dropping to the lower leagues are not making the big decisions because they are used not having too, due to var making them for them. It is a interesting theory to discuss 

This.  You see it in cricket all the time - umpires no longer bother to judge no balls by bowlers; guess on LBW's and catches knowing that the review system will probably bail them out; captains and players review tactically rather than when they necessarily think that an incorrect decision has been made.  It has changed the game.  Umpires are less competent than they were.

To be fair at least cricket has got the use of the review system largely correct, though limiting the number of reviews introduces a tactical element to the system, but football with all its money and technology has got VAR significantly wrong.  It was meant to help referees get everything right primarily because an error was too expensive, cost managers' jobs and because fans don't like errors.  Even with VAR they still make huge mistakes, just different ones, managers are still getting sacked, clubs still get relegated and fans don't like it because we can't celebrate a goal in the moment, have to spend as much time talking about VAR as we do about finance and can't talk about the football.

Get rid/never introduce it.

On 25/02/2022 at 16:43, GeneralRam said:

No.

VAR has ruined the Premier League for me. Don't need it ruining the Championship too

Just watched the perfect advert for why I do not want VAR in the Championship. 

Someone, somewhere, has spent 2 or 3 minutes watching someone blatantly handball the ball in their own area and decided it is not a penalty.

Happy for matters of fact to be decided by VAR but matters of opinion should stay with the ref in real time.