Mason Greenwood (trigger warning: violence, sexual assault, threats to kill)

Day

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Regardless of whether the allegations are true or not isn't this a private matter for the police to deal with and then the courts?

Can't understand why a person would not want to go down this route rather than guilt by social media before presumably the alleged offence(s) have even been reported?

Because the conviction rate is shamefully awful. However in this instance it does appear she has good evidence so would probably get a conviction. This is obv if she did decide to go to the police, she doesn't have to and most women wouldn't blame her for choosing not to. 

She has made her point perfectly and backed it up with video and audio. 

8 minutes ago, LauraH said:

Because the conviction rate is shamefully awful. However in this instance it does appear she has good evidence so would probably get a conviction. This is obv if she did decide to go to the police, she doesn't have to and most women wouldn't blame her for choosing not to. 

She has made her point perfectly and backed it up with video and audio. 

Totally disagree but coming off this thread now need to train for a 10k 

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Was just following your assertion to it's logical conclusion if people don't have faith in our judicial system. 

It's the best and only one we have at the moment which isn't me defending it for avoidance of doubt. 

Doesn't give folks the right to start using trial by social media though. 

If you don’t want you’re dirty poo spread all over social media, don’t go round beating and raping women.

a he said / she said tweet is one thing, but if you’re arrogant enough to leave video and photo evidence, and assume you’re going to get away with it, and you’re stupid enough to believe that it’s not going to end uk all over social media, then you deserve everything that’s coming to you. 

(just realised I’ve used the word ‘you’ a lot in their, and I obviously don’t mean you you, I’m just not posh enough to use the word ‘one’). 

What did he think she was going to do?

7 hours ago, David said:

If proven to be true, his career is over before it's even begun.

As much as we might want this to be the case, do you think that's actually true? I doubt he'd play at the level of a team like Man Utd again, but football's shown repeatedly that there's always someone willing to sign up anyone, no matter what you've done.

Marlon King got signed by Coventry almost immediately after he was released from prison for sexual assault. Ched Evans, who has now had his conviction quashed, was getting offers from clubs even before that decision. Graham Rix maintained a managerial and coaching career in England and Scotland after being convicted of indecent assault of an underage girl. Robinho managed to continue his career in Brazil and Turkey into his mid-30s after being convicted of taking part in a gang rape, including winning the Super Lig with Basaksehir a couple of years ago. Indeed, his one-time manager Cuca managed to have a full playing career (including national team honours) and a continuing highly successful managerial career in Brazil despite being convicted in absentia of the rape of a 13-year old Swiss girl during the 1980s.

Frankly, even if it's fully proven that Greenwood did everything he's been accused of, and even if he serves time for it, I'd be more shocked if he doesn't have a career somewhere than if he did. It won't be at Man Utd, but some club somewhere will just see a Man Utd quality player available on the cheap and won't care about the rest of it.

Just now, JfR said:

As much as we might want this to be the case, do you think that's actually true? I doubt he'd play at the level of a team like Man Utd again, but football's shown repeatedly that there's always someone willing to sign up anyone, no matter what you've done.

Marlon King got signed by Coventry almost immediately after he was released from prison for sexual assault. Ched Evans, who has now had his conviction quashed, was getting offers from clubs even before that decision. Graham Rix maintained a managerial and coaching career in England and Scotland after being convicted of indecent assault of an underage girl. Robinho managed to continue his career in Brazil and Turkey into his mid-30s after being convicted of taking part in a gang rape, including winning the Super Lig with Basaksehir a couple of years ago. Indeed, his one-time manager Cuca managed to have a full playing career (including national team honours) and a continuing highly successful managerial career in Brazil despite being convicted in absentia of the rape of a 13-year old Swiss girl during the 1980s.

Frankly, even if it's fully proven that Greenwood did everything he's been accused of, and even if he serves time for it, I'd be more shocked if he doesn't have a career somewhere than if he did. It won't be at Man Utd, but some club somewhere will just see a Man Utd quality player available on the cheap and won't care about the rest of it.

Wishful thinking on my side, you are right. After some time away another club will offer him a chance to return, IF guilty of the offences.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Wishful thinking on my side, you are right. After some time away another club will offer him a chance to return, IF guilty of the offences.

And it’ll be some great redemption story cos he’ll score a few goals for Crystal Palace and become a fan favourite, and that’ll make it all better. 

9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's still not valid though trial by social media. Go to the police then the CPS will assess if there's a case then the courts will decide justice. 

Or are you advocating everyone then circumnavigates this route?

Unfortunately, in this world money talks.  Report it first, legal reps stop it, never gets heard.  Then it's all made up.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Unfortunately, in this world money talks.  Report it first, legal reps stop it, never gets heard.  Then it's all made up.

In this instance what you're saying is mostly true. I can't say why she went public, maybe she was just angry, maybe she genuinely wants to stop him from treating anyone else this way? Either way, good on her. If she'd reported his handlers would've offered her a huge lifetime payoff to sweep this under the rug.

Does anyone know what the extent of criminal charges could be based the evidence presented in public? Photos of injuries from alleged abuse and verbal threats of violence caught on audio tape.

Many years ago (but not that many really) the police had the stance ‘we don’t come between a man and his wife’. Domestic violence was commonplace and women suffered at the fists of their husbands, never ever to get over it. Even though life moved on for them, the emotional scars remain just as the physical ones do. 
do not ever underestimate what DV victims suffer. Whether this girl has dealt with it rightly or wrongly in your eyes, that’s not the point. The memories of fists heading towards your face and the fear never goes away. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

After seeing and hearing what she posted, how can anyone's first thought be that they hope Greenwood gets fair treatment and are concerned for his rights? 

Because it's the law, and law underpins democracy?

(yes, I realise that 'democracy' is currently a two-edged mudguard off a clown car).