Fans are our own worst enemy at times

IlsonDerby

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It does sound like that! ? However also sounds like few of the police/security were 'around' then either. I think it sounds like much of how to deal with hooliganism at matches has been 'forgotten'?

The police were around in the 70s. They'd just whack the offenders across the head. And some none-offenders too if you got in their way.

Ouch!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Stuff that! He had a pie in one hand, a large glass of coke in the other, was slabbering and throwing it all over while trying to simultaneously stick fingers up and chant at the opposition. Directly in front of him was a family with a kid of five or six having to put up with the obscene behaviour. 

He was a caricature of everything that is wrong with football. 

Could have been a filo pastry vegetable pie in one hand and a Diet Coke in the other 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

The police were around in the 70s. They'd just whack the offenders across the head. And some none-offenders too if you got in their way.

Ouch!

True. ? But I was thinking more about how 'fan interactions' are being dealt with.

10 hours ago, David said:

Saw this topic bumped and feared the worse after the game today, @TexasRam have a word with yourself grrr!

I’ve had a word and come on @Davidits stimulated a good discussion including the senior members talking about the old days again ?

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

With regard to civil liberties, surely you know that the freedom of expression doesn’t actually give you the right to say or do absolutely anything you want? Here is an extract from an article on the Public Order Act:

Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 (POA), which makes it an offence for a person to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour that causes, or is likely to cause, another person harassment, alarm or distress”. This law has been revised over the years to include language that is deemed to incite “racial and religious hatred”, as well as “hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation” and language that “encourages terrorism”.

I think we're heading the wrong way, So this will be my last post to you on this subject.

I have the right to walk down the street without harassment, It would be upto myself if threatened or abused to handle as I see fit, Defend myself or seek redress in our courts, You have now added the "public order act", This Law will continue to be revised as more offences come into it's remit.

If anyone is offended by words or action has the right to seek redress, It will be for our courts to decide whether any laws have been broken.

You will reply to this post, But i'll not reply to your reply, As replying will only futher other replies from people who feel they need to reply to your or my replies

36 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Must admit, "Flicks" is a term I am familiar with, but never used personally.  I know "Why" it was called that, but no idea "Where" it started, so my reference to The good old U S of A was a complete shot in the dark, if I'm honest!

I do (just) remember that building being a cinema (or still looking like one, at least) but I'm a decade or so behind you, (b. '63) so never attended. 
My Saturday mornings were spent at The Odeon on London Rd.  Was never a fan of The ABC.  Probably around the time the little "d" was being replaced by a little "p", although the odd tanner or thru'penny bit were still around!  ?  

?

The essaldo was always referred to as the fleapit.?

10 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I think we're heading the wrong way, So this will be my last post to you on this subject.

I have the right to walk down the street without harassment, It would be upto myself if threatened or abused to handle as I see fit, Defend myself or seek redress in our courts, You have now added the "public order act", This Law will continue to be revised as more offences come into it's remit.

If anyone is offended by words or action has the right to seek redress, It will be for our courts to decide whether any laws have been broken.

You will reply to this post, But i'll not reply to your reply, As replying will only futher other replies from people who feel they need to reply to your or my replies

For once your assumption is correct ?

I added the public order act because this is an important addition to clarify the law on freedom of expression. 

I agree everyone has the right to seek redress if they feel abused and it would be then for the court to decide. Therefore, the activities being undertaken by these “plain clothed stewards” isn’t an erosion of civil liberties, as I think you were suggesting, and certainly nowhere near the level of the countries you listed.

10 minutes ago, Gritstone Tup said:

That sounds a dangerous job for you kid on minimum wage to undertake. Disgraceful that a club should consider such risks acceptable.

Could be but I’m not sure they’ll be reporting what they see/hear on the spot which would certainly put them at risk. More likely, they’ll provide a report after the event. They’ll hopefully blend in during the game (hence the age range stipulated) and won’t be recognised if, by chance, they come across the offender again. The difficulty would be if there was always the same group of fans sitting in that area and they may notice a newcomer (would they confront them though given no report has yet been filed?) or if their identity was disclosed in court.

In theory, I think it’s a good idea as a way to gather evidence in support of existing complaints in order to address unacceptable behaviour but, as you point out, it is fraught with challenges.

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

What is classed as breaking the law? Swearing? Are clubs going to publish a list of words that can and can’t be used? 
I agree that any racist behaviour needs stamping out and fortunately I haven’t seen or heard any at Derby for years but I have seen plenty of pyrotechnics and most of our song have swear words in them.

I don’t care about swearing but I care about racism, inciteful behaviour to a steward/police, violence of any type or any type of throwing stuff onto the pitch or the opposition.

That is where I would draw the line and to be quite Frank, anyone who does that (with or without alcohol) are not proper supporters and wouldn’t be welcome to games in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

What is classed as breaking the law? Swearing? Are clubs going to publish a list of words that can and can’t be used? 
I agree that any racist behaviour needs stamping out and fortunately I haven’t seen or heard any at Derby for years but I have seen plenty of pyrotechnics and most of our song have swear words in them.

That is classified as a breach of the peace so yes is arrestable offence.

Not sure about the logistics of arresting a whole football stadium full of fans mind you. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

weny yesterday , before and after the game was like the late 70s early 80s , large pockets of fans looking for trouble , i went with my usual crowd of Rams fans in a mini bus  and while all of us would stand our ground we dont go looking for it , but at times yesterday it was fight or flight , the sheer hatred from both sides was something we havnt seen for a while

5 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

weny yesterday , before and after the game was like the late 70s early 80s , large pockets of fans looking for trouble , i went with my usual crowd of Rams fans in a mini bus  and while all of us would stand our ground we dont go looking for it , but at times yesterday it was fight or flight , the sheer hatred from both sides was something we havnt seen for a while

Regardless of all the idiots involved the majority of the blame lies firmly at the EFL’s door. They could have stopped this at source but chose to facilitate it. Shameful really.