Survival - a percentage evaluation thread.

50% chance as we are at the moment. Have we got three more wins and a couple of draws in us more than Reading, Peterborough and Barnsley before the end of the season? With the backs to the wall mentality and the fighting spirit that the lads have been showing recently I'm beginning to believe we can do it. If the squad is still together by the end of January with a couple of additions I reckon you'd struggle to get better than 2/1 or evens at any bookies.

Squad breaks up in January 0%

13 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

A many years viewer, but not a regular poster, for a while, but tonight's heroic efforts got me thinking about starting a thread about our perceived percentage chances of achieving survival in our division. Before tonight I'd have assessed our chances of survival at about 1-2%, despite 2 consecutive wins, although after tonight I'd upgrade that probability to 10%.  I love maths, probabilities and percentages - the reality of an event happening, versus a blind-faith hopefulness of it happenning.

After tonight, indulge me if you will, where do you put our percentage chances of survival?

It would be interesting to update this thread on a match by match basis.

Indulge the nerd in me, what do you think our percentage chance of survival is, as of today?

As I said, I'll get the ball rolling at 10% - today.

What's your assessment - in percentage terms of us pulling it off?  No guffawing in the cheap seats.

Skybet offering 9/2 so they have it at around an 18% chance. Seems a little high to me, I think your 10% is reasonable.

18 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

A many years viewer, but not a regular poster, for a while, but tonight's heroic efforts got me thinking about starting a thread about our perceived percentage chances of achieving survival in our division. Before tonight I'd have assessed our chances of survival at about 1-2%, despite 2 consecutive wins, although after tonight I'd upgrade that probability to 10%.  I love maths, probabilities and percentages - the reality of an event happening, versus a blind-faith hopefulness of it happenning.

After tonight, indulge me if you will, where do you put our percentage chances of survival?

It would be interesting to update this thread on a match by match basis.

Indulge the nerd in me, what do you think our percentage chance of survival is, as of today?

As I said, I'll get the ball rolling at 10% - today.

What's your assessment - in percentage terms of us pulling it off?  No guffawing in the cheap seats.

We could do it as a poll after each match, if people like that idea. There have been lots of responses!

Obviously too many imponderables to calculate a rational answer, but I'd say 35-40%. It looks grim just looking at the table as it is now, but our form so far this season is mid-table, as others have pointed out. On this basis we should be garnering about another 30 points. However, we had a rough patch, dropped a lot of silly points, but we do seem to have come together as a team more, the defence is quite tight, and we're blooding some talented youngsters. We could well pick up more points in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st.

Also, what's to say other clubs won't be deducted points this season.

Survival? Unlikely, but a close call, I'd say.

As I understand the history of these things, no team has overturned a 12 point deduction. Our deduction is 21 points virtually double any previous un achieved challenge. This should effectively confirm a zero percent chance on the evidence available. 

Yet, there are other numbers in play. 
1) I suspect (correct me if I am wrong)  our deduction and the task facing us has come earlier than any other team

2) Our team has an overly large contingent of youthful players. In the right circumstances they will improve their basic abilities way beyond what mature journeymen could hope to achieve. This is evidenced by recent form. Form may be temporary but if this 3 game blip continues then maybe that form becomes “class” They didn’t just play well .. they are good players .. There is a difference.

3) The fans home and away .. I have no doubt that they make a major contribution over and above ordinary fans .. The pictures and noise from Stoke were remarkable 

4) other clubs may face deductions or administration that we don’t yet know about. 

I live in hope, but weighing everything right now, it’s a single figures chance 
Get a new owner in this month, without the loss of key players ? Then I’d raise it to the OP’s 10% 

3 more straight wins ? and it’s Game on ! 

Statistically, we are a fraction under 3 points short of Cardiff and Hull ATM which would suggest around a 5 or 6 point shortfall at the end of the season, if things continue as they done so far.

A couple of extra wins or holding on to leads compared with the first half of the season, is what we need. When you think of the 17 points we have lost from winning positions, those 3 points shortfall seem to be quite achievable.

11 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

image.thumb.png.c0f8662bc99c06a8bcd060ae6268839a.png

Here is a coming home showing the points per game needed to get to 48 points at the end of the season, which should be enough to stay up. The recent run of 3 wins puts us bang on the line and we need to maintain 1.71 points per game, which is play off form! Its going to be a ride for sure.

1.71 ppg is effectively a 55% win ratio from now until the end of the season which would beat the win record of any Derby manager in recent years, Clough, McClaren, Mackay you name them.