Stoke City (A) Matchday Thread

Inverurie Ram

What a performance. And we controlled the game because we took the game to the Stokies right from the start, and passed with pace. And Thompson was running the show, so much that I expected Joe Allen to come clattering in, only he didn't. 

The opening goal was superb, with Joswiack doing a suitable impression of his Poland performances, and such a cool finish from Plange. I think Stoke tweaked their tactics a bit because the game eased towards Stoke after the goal, but there was still only one team looking like winning for most of the match. The equaliser came after a bit of stop-go action - when the corner was cleared we had most of the team in the area, with most on the floor or on one leg, but the ball falling to Ince and being fired in happened before they could re-adjust. I was slightly nervous with the commentators trying to talk up a last 20 minutes battering, but instead we toughened up and increased our threatening play. Ebosele played a major part in that, and the substitution was so timely. Tom Lawrence missed a challenge and his face said that he was out of it. I thought the equaliser had got to his head, but in reality he was all Covided out, and had left everything he did have on the pitch. What more could we ask?

And the ref! He gave one of the best refereeing performances I have seen in ages. The advantage he played for the foul on Knight ensured our first goal. How often does that not happen? And he then booked the Stoke player! How often does that not happen?  He lost grip of the match towards the end of the first half, but got it back again son afterwards, although Joe Allen shoujld have been carded (a well known, and oft repeated phrase, I am sure!) for not responding to the ref calling him over. Surrige should also have been carded for a blatant dive in the area, but he got away with it. Curiously, the ref found it easier to give a foul throw than penalising a dive, which again never normally happens! But as I said, I rate the ref as one of the best we've seen for ages! So that's him for the sack, then.

The escape is on, folks! COYR!!!

what a fantastic performance from the lads last night. My motm has to be Thompson, once again absolutely everywhere running their midfield ragged. It was such a dynamic start full of pressing and energy that stoke struggled to live with. After the goal, we went back in ourselves slightly and let them slightly back into the game. They looked dangerous at times from crosses but that was more due to our hesitancy in dealing with them than their ability. Bird especially was quite sloppy I thought getting caught out a few times but stoke couldn't bring themselves to threaten us. 

Second half we seemed to regain the initiative without creating much. That all changed when Ebosele came on and he absolutely terrified them and we began to start creating something in the final third. Their goal was completely undeserved but we struck back so well. Both CKR and Morrison with brilliant composure to pass and slot it home. It was a well deserved win and even I'm now thinking the great escape may just be possible.... 

On the fans it's wonderful to see how we've showed such unity and backing for the team during 2 seasons of absolute misery. I'm not sure how many clubs could muster such fighting spirit both in the stands and on the pitch. So immensely proud to be a ram right now

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

what a fantastic performance from the lads last night. My motm has to be Thompson, once again absolutely everywhere running their midfield ragged. It was such a dynamic start full of pressing and energy that stoke struggled to live with. After the goal, we went back in ourselves slightly and let them slightly back into the game. They looked dangerous at times from crosses but that was more due to our hesitancy in dealing with them than their ability. Bird especially was quite sloppy I thought getting caught out a few times but stoke couldn't bring themselves to threaten us. 

Second half we seemed to regain the initiative without creating much. That all changed when Ebosele came on and he absolutely terrified them and we began to start creating something in the final third. Their goal was completely undeserved but we struck back so well. Both CKR and Morrison with brilliant composure to pass and slot it home. It was a well deserved win and even I'm now thinking the great escape may just be possible.... 

On the fans it's wonderful to see how we've showed such unity and backing for the team during 2 seasons of absolute misery. I'm not sure how many clubs could muster such fighting spirit both in the stands and on the pitch. So immensely proud to be a ram right now

There is a virtuous circle there - the Team feeds off the fans and the fans feed off the Team; it's palpable. Big numbers of fans all as one voice. When football unites people, it is joyful and moving. 

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think Craig Forsyth had a really good game last night. Didn't put a foot wrong defensively, his passing was spot on and he was a constant outlet down the left. 

He was playing very well before he got ill - then when Buchanan got injured he had to return a bit too early and it showed with some poorer performances - great Derby county servant 

59 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think Craig Forsyth had a really good game last night. Didn't put a foot wrong defensively, his passing was spot on and he was a constant outlet down the left. 

Yes...it would be churlish of me to point out he choked that shot at the back post from the corner. 

15 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Had a pint this evening with the chap who proudly parades the Bexley Ram flag around the world at every England match, football and cricket. I don't know if he looks in on here but if he does, lovely to catch up with you fella, take care and have a safe journey home tomorrow.

COYR.

No photo's for the Derby County Flags thread!

Detention tonight for you from 8pm to 2am. Essay required by 3am on "Every time I see Tom Ince it makes me smile"