The Administration Thread

Boycie

35 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

No it's not a good deal. For me the Daily Mail article seems that it may well be a pretty accurate account of where the final stage of negotiations with the bidders now sit. The key line for me in the article is that Sunderland was recently valued at £30m and Hull exchanged hands for £25m. Given the level of debt at DCFC the valuation has to be somewhere near to those two clubs and in Division One the valuation falls. So £50m as a package for DCFC and the stadium is excessive.

The only true valuation of any property or entity is the amount that the highest bidder is prepared to pay. That currently may well be nearer £30m than £50m. Mel and Mel alone got us into this mess and it is morally incumbent upon him at this late stage to do the decent thing for once and do what he can to open the door to the club's revival. If he has to take a bigger hit on the stadium so be it. He is holding all of the right cards, only he can play them.

A few months ago this very question was put to Mel by a supporter at a private function local to where they both live. In an extremely polite and amiable conversation Mel offered the assurance of "Don't worry, there will be a future for the club. If I have to give the stadium away, so be it."

The time may be nearing where we will find out if his actions speak louder than his words for once.

Agree, and it also perhaps shows why he found it so hard to get a buyer before we went into administration. If he's honestly suggesting that the reason bidders aren't prepared to stump up £20million for the stadium is that they are "playing hardball" - and if he honestly thinks he just needs to wait for them to crack - then he's being completely unrealistic. 

I understand he doesn't want to settle the loan himself - who knows how easy it would be for him to absorb a £20million loss - but let's not pretend this is a clever negotiating tactic, or in any way in the interests of the club.

Feels like a version of the sunk costs fallacy: he just can't believe now, and couldn't when he tried to sell before, that the club he's driven into the ground (at great personal cost) could be worth so little. But it is.

Edited by vonwright

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ironically, £10m funding from Mel Morris and the club would've been able to see out the season without being in administration, overcome a 9 point deduction, still had a viable squad and be in no worse a position (arguably better) for him to sell as a solvent business.....

Christ he's really *redacted for legal reasons and good taste*

As time goes on, the decision to put us in administration appears to have been a ‘nuclear option’. He needed someone else aside to strategise the next few years and how it would look. It may have been a bigger hit short term as we asset stripped (possibly losing Rooney would be the biggest one), but we’d have a club, a stadium and as you say a solvent business to sell.

There’s been no foreshadowing for if something goes wrong, whether that’s the EFL, Boro or anything else. Like there was no foreshadowing for ‘getting to the premier league’ or the realities of using academy players. That’s just poor business strategy. 

As many, like Knighton and members of the council have said over time, if Mel doesn’t play ball then he has a lot more to lose than money…so he needs to play ball here!

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

As time goes on, the decision to put us in administration appears to have been a ‘nuclear option’. He needed someone else aside to strategise the next few years and how it would look. It may have been a bigger hit short term as we asset stripped (possibly losing Rooney would be the biggest one), but we’d have a club, a stadium and as you say a solvent business to sell.

There’s been no foreshadowing for if something goes wrong, whether that’s the EFL, Boro or anything else. Like there was no foreshadowing for ‘getting to the premier league’ or the realities of using academy players. That’s just poor business strategy. 

As many, like Knighton and members of the council have said over time, if Mel doesn’t play ball then he has a lot more to lose than money…so he needs to play ball here!

Makes you wonder how Mel made the money he has

44 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

£80M or £22M or is it a bottomless pit of money if there is no club to play at the said stadium

I wonder if the stadium could be used profitability as a non-football venue?

You would generate income from the retail units. You could trade a couple of licensed premises and hire out the rest of the hospitality units for functions. 

Then there's the main arena. Without the need to maintain a pitch, you could stage concerts, boxing, monster trucks, Top Gear Live type events regularly. You could also lay a temporary pitch if you staged American Football or some big egg chasing event. Then if you put a roof on you can use all year round and go for exhibitions and 'indoor' sports like snooker and darts - don't need to use the whole arena.

The big advantage is we are close to everywhere and have an excellent communications infrastructure. You could even do a 'festival' using PPS and the velodrome. 

It would be a risky venture, but I'd say it's possible that the stadium COULD have a life beyond Derby County. 

54 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

When MM took on the Club he got the stadium ownership BUT with a 20m mortgage. I fail to see why a new owner would not see buying the Club with stadium for 30m and refinance  the mortgage on better terms would not be a favourable option. Someone like Ashley would get a fairly good rate I feel sure. 

Someone who's reportedly worth circa £2billion would he want a mortgage, £22million for Pride Park would be like us telling the barman to keep the change from £3.60 for a £3.50 pint of beer ?

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I wonder if the stadium could be used profitability as a non-football venue?

You would generate income from the retail units. You could trade a couple of licensed premises and hire out the rest of the hospitality units for functions. 

Then there's the main arena. Without the need to maintain a pitch, you could stage concerts, boxing, monster trucks, Top Gear Live type events regularly. You could also lay a temporary pitch if you staged American Football or some big egg chasing event. Then if you put a roof on you can use all year round and go for exhibitions and 'indoor' sports like snooker and darts - don't need to use the whole arena.

The big advantage is we are close to everywhere and have an excellent communications infrastructure. You could even do a 'festival' using PPS and the velodrome. 

It would be a risky venture, but I'd say it's possible that the stadium COULD have a life beyond Derby County. 

No Derby County fan would ever set foot inside such a venue.

Add an Anya and a Blackman together with a couple of years wages.  That's all he's losing.  Saving a football club he supposedly supports is far better value for money surely. I still consider this digging in of heels ensuring he has money to deal with Gibsons 'accord' should it go pear shaped.  Just a way of getting any new buyer to cover this through the back door.  It won't work.  I wonder if he's still including his rent since September in this deal listed in the EFL misery bulletin as something still not paid the other month.  How much is that ? on top. 

Give the ground back and pay the loan and on we go.  You might even get away with renting it at a couple of million a year with a hand over in 5 years as an alternative.  Tie in a further 10 million payment if we ever do get back to the top division . Do something man.  Said the other week that the 28 million plus 2 was a great offer and likely best offer we get at this stage.  Pure insanity to not keep it and work with it.  

16 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

He's a Tory who refuses to solely blame Mel, continues to blame EFL/Boro being the main problem and his pal who he did Twitter Spaces with is pally with Mel. I wouldn't take anything he 

He’s a journalist. For proper newspapers unlike Nixon who writes for the sun. I don’t know what a twitter space is but I think it’s pretty tenuous to say you can’t rely on what he says because he shares twitter space with someone who you say is friends with Mel. 

4 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Did anyone listen to Radio Derby last night.  I must admit, I found Ed Dawes a little annoying.  He contradicted himself in about 30 seconds firstly saying he’s tried to get hold of Quantuma but hasn’t had a reply then immediately said they won’t say anything until the EFL have signed it off.  Pretty much answered his own question!!

They had Gerald Krasner on who’s dealt with a few football club administrations, inc Wigan.  He said all of this is pretty normal when it comes to football.  Also mentioned that even though bids are in, bidders will still be trying to do deals for the lowest possible outlay.  He did say that based on what he knows and the size of debt -15 next season is pretty much inevitable.

Yes it was a very interesting listen. He suggested the administrators should take whatever comes in to get the issue resolved. Hinting that the Binnie offer shouldn’t have been turned down 

9 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Not heard mention of the training ground for a while. Mel said he spent £20 mill on it. But the land is leased from the council. If anyone was going to build on it - It would be them.

I think the land for Moor Farm is owned by Locko Park, Derby have a 100+ year lease on it, or something like that.

6 minutes ago, Oldben said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10657199/Derby-County-Frustrated-buyers-say-22M-price-tag-Pride-Park-forced-cost-deal-50M.html?ito=whatsapp_share_article-masthead

The administrators need to consider selling derby without the stadium.

Derby can rent a stadium in the area to use.

Less crowd though

Buyers probably would only take DCFC with Pride Park.