The Administration Thread

Boycie

Just now, WhiteHorseRam said:

Also TBH Newcastle fans expectations are absolutely stellar. They don't understand why they aren't in the Champions League year in, year out.

I read a report a while ago when they were well into the Ashley bashing, and the journo had worked out he would need to spend £1 Billion on players to get into the orbit of Citeh, Man Utd and Liverpool.

Even then - no guarantees of any success at the highest level (look at Everton right now)

And Cheslea owe Abramovich £1 billion. What could possibly go wrong? 

2 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

@Ghost of Clough

ME Wouldn’t season ticket sales achieve this? Normally starts in March. 

YOU Season ticket money is released on a game by game basis, so no.

But there is no problem with money released on match by match basis if it is funding "beyond the summer" that we need....this would be it.

Again, we just want to be treated like any other Club, surely? We will have season ticket sales at the top end of the Championship, Gates the same, probably corporate sales the same and sponsorship the same. Every other Club will be looking ahead at their projected income so why would we not be allowed to if we secure the £5m deposit?

Firstly, we would need additional funding to get to the first game, just to release the first portion of ST money.
Then the money we get from each game would have to be enough to get through to the next game. There are 3 weeks between home games a couple of times each season. Even with a modest club wage bill of about £16m, we'd need just short of £1m to cover costs. Income from one game isn't enough to cover a period such as that.

Everyone seems to be hell bent on Ashley as he can splash the cash. He can't, no matter how much money he has. 

Mel invested a fortune on the squad, breaking FFP in order to make us competitive against the parachute clubs, but it broke us.

He invested heavily in the academy which isn't subject to FFP.

Ashley was criticised by The Toon Army for not investing in the infrastructure of the club, something Mel certainly did.

So money bags Mike can come in and but he cannot splurge on players because we play under FFP in this league. I don't see what a rich owner brings that will change anything. We can only spend what we earn.

So it doesn't matter who comes in the same amount of money will be available to Rooney, or whoever else is in charge next season.

It's a boring prospect but until The EFL and EPL make this a fair competition that's how it is.

Appelby 2.0 will get us stable and edging back to the top of the championship in due course.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Firstly, we would need additional funding to get to the first game, just to release the first portion of ST money.
Then the money we get from each game would have to be enough to get through to the next game. There are 3 weeks between home games a couple of times each season. Even with a modest club wage bill of about £16m, we'd need just short of £1m to cover costs. Income from one game isn't enough to cover a period such as that.

Is this staged-release of season ticket money a normal thing? I was under the impression it was basically a one-off because of COVID, or possibly something related to admin.  Is it certain that any season ticket money taken for next season would be protected in this way?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

All I'm saying is all of what you have said applies to every other Club too. If we have a new owner, surely we and the EFL can accept that the owner understands the Club's cashflow needs over the summer? We will have on of the highest (excluding parachute payments) projected income streams in the EFL....the new owners know this is fairly important part of their purchase.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As we will be under an EFL business plan I imagine our allowed wage bill will be around £10-12m... If we stay up 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Surely the whole point of a business plan is that you are allowed to plan for the future.

our player wage bill next year isn’t  going to be £16 million or anything like that. But if we don’t renew any contracts at all it won’t even be £6 million. We need to be renewing some contracts now otherwise there really is no business plan at all. 

21 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Also TBH Newcastle fans expectations are absolutely stellar. They don't understand why they aren't in the Champions League year in, year out.

I read a report a while ago when they were well into the Ashley bashing, and the journo had worked out he would need to spend £1 Billion on players to get into the orbit of Citeh, Man Utd and Liverpool.

Even then - no guarantees of any success at the highest level (look at Everton right now)

This is why I think Derby and Ashley are a good fit; our expectations are more aligned to his business strategy when it comes to club ownership

21 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Everyone seems to be hell bent on Ashley as he can splash the cash. He can't, no matter how much money he has. 

Mel invested a fortune on the squad, breaking FFP in order to make us competitive against the parachute clubs, but it broke us.

He invested heavily in the academy which isn't subject to FFP.

Ashley was criticised by The Toon Army for not investing in the infrastructure of the club, something Mel certainly did.

So money bags Mike can come in and but he cannot splurge on players because we play under FFP in this league. I don't see what a rich owner brings that will change anything. We can only spend what we earn.

So it doesn't matter who comes in the same amount of money will be available to Rooney, or whoever else is in charge next season.

It's a boring prospect but until The EFL and EPL make this a fair competition that's how it is.

Appelby 2.0 will get us stable and edging back to the top of the championship in due course.

The club infrastructure is already in place - running costs plus a modest investment needed to keep it up dated. Not the same as investing to build the infrastructure from the ground up. 

Ashley, or any potential buyers, should take the view that the academy should pay for itself if it produces enough quality players, it seems to be doing this at the moment although all funds are currently being used to keep the club afloat rather than some being put back into the academy. 

29 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I lived in Newcastle during the Keegan years (Owner was Sir John Hall back then). There was a five year waiting list for season tickets (before they extended the capacity). I love Geordies, but their expectations of their football club have never been realistic. They want the moon on a stick and they want it now. They will be protesting outside St James' in the summer if they haven't spent £300m.

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Is this staged-release of season ticket money a normal thing? I was under the impression it was basically a one-off because of COVID, or possibly something related to admin.  Is it certain that any season ticket money taken for next season would be protected in this way?

I'm not 100% sure either way to be completely honest. I think I recall it being in place before admin, but I'm less sure about before Covid though.

13 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

All I'm saying is all of what you have said applies to every other Club too. If we have a new owner, surely we and the EFL can accept that the owner understands the Club's cashflow needs over the summer? We will have on of the highest (excluding parachute payments) projected income streams in the EFL....the new owners know this is fairly important part of their purchase.

New owner means the funding is guaranteed. But, until that it completed we will not have the funding to renew contracts.

12 minutes ago, sage said:

As we will be under an EFL business plan I imagine our allowed wage bill will be around £10-12m... If we stay up 

Reading's business plan allows for a £16m wage bill next season. Their normal revenue is just under £20m iirc.
I'm be surprised if the EFL restrict our club to less than 50% of revenue, with £10m being less than 33% of normal revenue

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Surely the whole point of a business plan is that you are allowed to plan for the future.

our player wage bill next year isn’t  going to be £16 million or anything like that. But if we don’t renew any contracts at all it won’t even be £6 million. We need to be renewing some contracts now otherwise there really is no business plan at all. 

We're still under administration. As such, I can't see us being allowed to commit to future spending without the funding being in place to cover it.
We should get £5m from the PB which will cover costs just beyond the end of this season. I very much doubt a PB will commit to cover costs for the entire of next season too (allowing us to extend deals) until the takeover is complete

Must admit that as of today, I couldn’t care less who the preferred bidder is. Just want somebody to come in so we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  
However, whoever it is, in the long term, I do hope they continue the investment in the academy. It’s our shining light at the moment, whether it be nurturing talent from a very young age or some tremendous scouting of prospects who we can bring in and turn round for a healthy profit in short timeframes. I can see that some investors might see the Academy as a massive resource drain and will see it as a way of cutting costs and being sustainable. If that happens it will be a shame.

But first things first… let’s get out of admin, let’s get stable and let’s get out of League 1 as soon as possible (?? if it comes to that obvs).

Edited by LazloW

i would be over the moon with ashley, he will stabilise the club, either succeed with it or sell it on

what we need is to be a stable club to move forward.

sheikh mansour could take us over he wouldnt be able to spend anything nor is that what we need at a time like this

but saying all this. even if ashley is preferred bidder there is a long long way to go. as with most administrations getting the preferred bidder in is one of the first steps, which is mad as we are 6 months into administration

Edited by alram

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not 100% sure either way to be completely honest. I think I recall it being in place before admin, but I'm less sure about before Covid though.

New owner means the funding is guaranteed. But, until that it completed we will not have the funding to renew contracts.

Reading's business plan allows for a £16m wage bill next season. Their normal revenue is just under £20m iirc.
I'm be surprised if the EFL restrict our club to less than 50% of revenue, with £10m being less than 33% of normal revenue

We're still under administration. As such, I can't see us being allowed to commit to future spending without the funding being in place to cover it.
We should get £5m from the PB which will cover costs just beyond the end of this season. I very much doubt a PB will commit to cover costs for the entire of next season too (allowing us to extend deals) until the takeover is complete

Pb won’t be asked to cover running costs beyond next season. They will be covered by revenue from ticket sales and from tv , sponsorship etc. Even in league one that will be substantial. 

13 minutes ago, NottmRAM said:

I lived in Newcastle during the Keegan years (Owner was Sir John Hall back then). There was a five year waiting list for season tickets (before they extended the capacity). I love Geordies, but their expectations of their football club have never been realistic. They want the moon on a stick and they want it now.

Mad innit? And based on what?

They last won the English top division in 1927 and last won the FA Cup in 1955

They had a brief 4 season spell in the late 90s where they nearly came good, but ultimately won nothing

I know a load of Geordies and they are all the same - seem to think a big ground and a loyal fanbase gives them the right to be successful

Edited by Stive Pesley

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Mad innit? And based on what?

They last won the English top division in 1927 and last won the FA Cup in 1955

They had a brief 4 season spell in the late 90s where they nearly came good, but ultimately won nothing

I know a load of Geordies and they are all the same - seem to think a big ground and a loyal fanbase gives them the right to be successful

Loyal fanbase, apart from when they were doing bad in the 80s and got 16k.