Our young guns

jono

1 hour ago, Wignall12 said:

So in January when Marshall moves on Plange should become eligible to play ? ....or am I misconscruing the situation regarding players ?

The agreement with the EFL allows us to increase the squad by 2 players, but at the moment those 2 spots are temporarily taken by Jags and Baldock to cover injuries. Releasing Marshall will free up 1 place, which will give us 3 players to be signed, number 1 on the list will be to retain Jags, Baldock is too injury prone to take a risk on, so we need to add a couple of players to our striking option, whether these are promoted from within or new free agents, I don't know. It would be unfair to Cashin, but I think that the 2 places must be given to strikers.

4 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The agreement with the EFL allows us to increase the squad by 2 players, but at the moment those 2 spots are temporarily taken by Jags and Baldock to cover injuries. Releasing Marshall will free up 1 place, which will give us 3 players to be signed, number 1 on the list will be to retain Jags, Baldock is too injury prone to take a risk on, so we need to add a couple of players to our striking option, whether these are promoted from within or new free agents, I don't know. It would be unfair to Cashin, but I think that the 2 places must be given to strikers.

I’d sell Jozwicack if anyone would pay $€ for him and try and get a cheaper (free) option that would contribute more. Failing that give his place to someone from within.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

21 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Predicting the success of young players is an absolute minefield. Reading between the lines on players' progression through the academy, the "buzz" generated, and how soon they break into the first team, it's good to look back on our youth products and imagine how good you think they will become. Here's what I thought:

Hughes looked like the best player on the pitch on his debut. I thought he would be a higher level Premier League player and play for England. He has done OK but not as well as I thought. For years our perception of us selling players off on the cheap was based on us valuing Hughes at £20m and selling him for £7m or whatever it was. In turned out to be about the right price.

Hendrick had far less buzz in the youth ranks to my mind and his breakthrough seemed a bit of a surprise when it happened. I was delighted when we got £11m for him but he has had a very good career and justified the price tag at Burnley. 

Bogle seemed like a raw product but very difficult to handle going forward. I think that many though he was underpriced when he was sold too. I never made my mind up how good he may be and I still haven't yet. Still occassionally looks awesome. My current suspicions are that we may have sold him at his peak value.

There are obviously many more than this, but from the current crop I think Knight will have a similar career to Hendrick in the Premier League and I think Bird will be even better than him. Early days with the others, but I don't see Premier League ability, and that should not be taken as an insult. Any player that goes through the academy and goes on to play professionally in the EFL at any level can consider themselves a great success. And I think we will be churning out quite a few professional players over the next few years.

I agree with everything you say here. Not sure that only Bird and Knight can make it in the Premier, it is too early to say for some, but you may be right. Those who show Premier potential  like Gordon and Delap are snapped up before they can make it for us. . Sibley has talent but not made the most of it so far. 

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Delap has had ONE senior appearance for Man City since leaving us nearly 2.5 years ago, instead of the, perhaps, 60-70 games he might have played if he'd stayed at DCFC. 

You have to wonder which would have been better for his development. 

Blimey, was it 2.5 years ago? Where is he playing now, their U23s?

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Delap has had ONE senior appearance for Man City since leaving us nearly 2.5 years ago, instead of the, perhaps, 60-70 games he might have played if he'd stayed at DCFC. 

Players agents are more interested in money than the football careers of those they represent.

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Being coached every day by one of the best coaches in a generation, as well as training with Foden, De Bruyne etc won’t do his development any harm though! 
I think if it wasn’t for injury he’d have been loaned out this year. Games are valuable but his game will have improved massively by training with the best in the world. 

7 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I’d sell Jozwicack if anyone would pay $€ for him and try and get a cheaper (free) option that would contribute more. Failing that give his place to someone from within.

He seems to have had no game time for quite a while, which smells of trying to avoid injury to move him on.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him back at his old club in lieu of transfer instalments we owe them in January.  We certainly have no chance of getting back his fee.

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

Made an absolute tit of himself on his first visit back to Derby so unlike other lads who we have seen leave, I'm not fussed if he disappears into the morass of young players hoovered up every year by the top 6. He's got the big wage now and plenty of time on his hands to spend it so for me, that's where the story ends.

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Made an absolute tit of himself on his first visit back to Derby so unlike other lads who we have seen leave, I'm not fussed if he disappears into the morass of young players hoovered up every year by the top 6. He's got the big wage now and plenty of time on his hands to spend it so for me, that's where the story ends.

Did he? What did he do?

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Dived in two footed because one of our lads had the temerity to take the ball off him, remonstrated with the ref and then trudged off like billy jumbo nads. Silly and a tad disrespectful to the club and guys he used to play alongside. 

All true but he also scored a hat trick which is a more relevant thing from our point of view 

16 hours ago, enachops said:

Being coached every day by one of the best coaches in a generation, as well as training with Foden, De Bruyne etc won’t do his development any harm though! 
I think if it wasn’t for injury he’d have been loaned out this year. Games are valuable but his game will have improved massively by training with the best in the world. 

If he's training every day, it's no wonder he's always injured ?

I know training with a great coach obviously benefits many players, but it's not guaranteed. And, eventually, if he doesn't get competitive 1st team games, his progress WILL falter. 

I guess we have to hope he turns out to be brilliant, because then we might get a bit of extra cash.

16 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

You've lost me. Do you mean in terms of any further cash we might earn from the transfer?

Nowadays it's a flat fee for appearances (on top of the development fee, will be round about £400,000), if he makes 10 apps for Man City then we get an additional £150,000, further payments up to 100 apps, which if he made it we would get circa £7m in total for him. I'd argue that £7m for someone good enough to make 100 Prem appearances is chicken feed.

However the PL essentially said when they pushed for EPPP that if the EFL clubs didn't vote for it then they'd stop or greatly reduce solidarity payments. Not a fan of the system at all as like mots things it rewards those at the top. That said as a youngster you have to look after yourself really, so I don't blame the kids more the system.