Our young guns

jono

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, was a great game going forward, for which we paid the price a bit defensively. Was a bit like watching a McClaren team! 

5-0 v Hull, 2017?

Arsenal simply had no interest in defending. They had 10 technically gifted footballers who all wanted to pass the ball take players on and look good…..and a goalkeeper! They had wing backs who were wingers and two CMs who’s only interest was splitting and getting on the ball with no interest in getting back together to close space when they (Arsenal) lost possession. It played right into Sibleys hands who just stayed on the space they left and waited for the ball to arrive….which it did from Watson several times. 

Patino is heralded as the new Wilshere but as talented as he is he has none of Wilsheres ‘bite’ and lost his way in the game as we gradually just out worked them….however it could easily have been 7-7!!!

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Wasn’t Gordon £1m ish? At a time when fighting off liquidation, then cash today could be more important than possible cash in 4 or 5 years.

Not 4 or 5 years though, more like 4 or 5 months, he's already signed his first professional contract for Liverpool.

Less than 12 months after they paid £1M ish for him, they would be asking double figure millions for him now. Our academy need to find some way of extracting the maximum value from these young players and stop losing them a few months before their 17th birthday, for peanuts.

Obviously, the youngsters are concerned that injury could cut short their career in an instant, but surely when we have a 'gem', we could get creative. Maybe, when the next 'gem' is being chased by several premier clubs, Derby could have a chat with him, maybe taking out an insurance against severe injury whilst still at the club, maybe a generous signing on fee on his 17th birthday or maybe even wrapping him cotton wool and not playing him until his transfer to the 'big' club.

Bellingham showed great loyalty to blues, appreciating that their academy had nurtured his talent and had set him up for a great career. Thanks to Derby's academy, these youngsters are in a great position to earn millions from their careers. As discussed on a different thread, our academy is barely breaking even on transfer fees. It could be argued that we should scrap the academy and just pick up youngsters from other clubs when they start to shine. If too many academies begin to think this way, there will be nowhere for future youngsters to go to.

Unfortunately, the current system is broken and academies are not being properly rewarded.

Predicting the success of young players is an absolute minefield. Reading between the lines on players' progression through the academy, the "buzz" generated, and how soon they break into the first team, it's good to look back on our youth products and imagine how good you think they will become. Here's what I thought:

Hughes looked like the best player on the pitch on his debut. I thought he would be a higher level Premier League player and play for England. He has done OK but not as well as I thought. For years our perception of us selling players off on the cheap was based on us valuing Hughes at £20m and selling him for £7m or whatever it was. In turned out to be about the right price.

Hendrick had far less buzz in the youth ranks to my mind and his breakthrough seemed a bit of a surprise when it happened. I was delighted when we got £11m for him but he has had a very good career and justified the price tag at Burnley. 

Bogle seemed like a raw product but very difficult to handle going forward. I think that many though he was underpriced when he was sold too. I never made my mind up how good he may be and I still haven't yet. Still occassionally looks awesome. My current suspicions are that we may have sold him at his peak value.

There are obviously many more than this, but from the current crop I think Knight will have a similar career to Hendrick in the Premier League and I think Bird will be even better than him. Early days with the others, but I don't see Premier League ability, and that should not be taken as an insult. Any player that goes through the academy and goes on to play professionally in the EFL at any level can consider themselves a great success. And I think we will be churning out quite a few professional players over the next few years.

2 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Predicting the success of young players is an absolute minefield. Reading between the lines on players' progression through the academy, the "buzz" generated, and how soon they break into the first team, it's good to look back on our youth products and imagine how good you think they will become. Here's what I thought:

Hughes looked like the best player on the pitch on his debut. I thought he would be a higher level Premier League player and play for England. He has done OK but not as well as I thought. For years our perception of us selling players off on the cheap was based on us valuing Hughes at £20m and selling him for £7m or whatever it was. In turned out to be about the right price.

Hendrick had far less buzz in the youth ranks to my mind and his breakthrough seemed a bit of a surprise when it happened. I was delighted when we got £11m for him but he has had a very good career and justified the price tag at Burnley. 

Bogle seemed like a raw product but very difficult to handle going forward. I think that many though he was underpriced when he was sold too. I never made my mind up how good he may be and I still haven't yet. Still occassionally looks awesome. My current suspicions are that we may have sold him at his peak value.

There are obviously many more than this, but from the current crop I think Knight will have a similar career to Hendrick in the Premier League and I think Bird will be even better than him. Early days with the others, but I don't see Premier League ability, and that should not be taken as an insult. Any player that goes through the academy and goes on to play professionally in the EFL at any level can consider themselves a great success. And I think we will be churning out quite a few professional players over the next few years.

Great post. I think my feeling is we have produced an excellent crop of young players, none of whom, even now look out of place in a championship side. Going to the next level is a different thing entirely. .. it’s that final 5% between skilled/competent or truly special ? What gives me such heart is that they are there now in numbers at this level and are all late teens/early 20’s .. There is scope for noticeable improvement… so, from ordinary champ players into to stronger ones with the chance to make a mark at another level. The next 6 months are going to be very interesting. 

As to values .. yep, spot on. We get enthused but you never know .. Will Allestree ever become “the place”  in a Duffield/Quarndon sense. ? But somewhere along the way there’s a few nooks and crannies in Darley Abbey that are commanding a serious premium 

No .. I am NOT an estate agent ?

Edited by jono
Tidying up