For the 15,000 folk unaware…

rammieib

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You can be offside in your own half!!!

Only if you are a player in an offside position (PIAOP in the opponent's half) then you return to your own half and play the ball after a teammate has touched the ball before the 'PIAOP' situation has been reset (i.e. before another player has touched the ball).

Edited by Eddie

But I’ve seen some praise for the ref today… a ref who doesn’t understand one of the most basic rules of football. Wonder if it was mentioned on the tele? (If it turns out I’m wrong, then it’s the first time on 47 years of watching football that I’ve seen a freekick for offside taken like that)

Edited by LazloW

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

But I’ve seen some praise for the ref today… a ref who doesn’t understand one of the most basic rules of football. Wonder if it was mentioned on the tele? (If it turns out I’m wrong, then it’s the first time on 47 years of watching football that I’ve seen a freekick for offside taken like that)

You’re wrong.

My point is, you can be offside in your own half.

But this is what bugs me, nothing personal against you, but 10-15k fans shouting at him because they thought they knew better.

Fans don’t know technical aspects of the rule book. 

As Eddie explained above, that’s how you can be offside and the free kick taken in your half.

Even if as a fan you didn’t know the rule, a referee is 1) A hell of a lot more qualified and 2) No players or coaches complained…. Why… because they know the rules.

7 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You’re wrong.

But this is what bugs me, nothing personal against you, but 10-15k fans shouting at him because they thought they knew better.

As Eddie explained above, that’s how you can be offside and the free kick taken in your half.

Even if as a fan you didn’t know the rule, a referee is 1) A hell of a lot more qualified and 2) No players or coaches complained…. Why… because they know the rules.

I believe Andy Hinchcliffe made a similar point in commentary, along the lines of 10000 unqualified people telling the 1 qualified person he was wrong.

The commentator waited a beat, and then added you don't have to be a plumber to spot a leak.

13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You’re wrong.

But the player furthest forward was CKR, who had a defender directly behind him when the flag went up. CKR wasn’t offside and neither was anyone else

20 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

But the player furthest forward was CKR, who had a defender directly behind him when the flag went up. CKR wasn’t offside and neither was anyone else

At the point of the pass into him, he was (according to lino, I was at game so don’t know for sure) but under the new interpretation you have to wait to make sure he effects play, which basically means touches the ball.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Only if you are a player in an offside position (PIAOP in the opponent's half) then you return to your own half and play the ball after a teammate has touched the ball before the 'PIAOP' situation has been reset (i.e. before another player has touched the ball).

Could you try to be a little clearer please. Struggling with play the ball after a teammate.........now before another player has touched the ball (it is the last one a player from the position)

10 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Could you try to be a little clearer please. Struggling with play the ball after a teammate.........now before another player has touched the ball (it is the last one a player from the position)

So basically from what I have read...CKR was offside, but because he then chested it down in our own half after being offside, their freekick is taken from where the offside player touched the ball not where he was offside - apparently its a new rule

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

So basically from what I have read...CKR was offside, but because he then chested it down in our own half after being offside, their freekick is taken from where the offside player touched the ball not where he was offside - apparently its a new rule

I've just checked and that seems to be so, but contrary to that interpretation, how many times do you see a long through ball chased by a striker who only gets flagged when he eventually catches up with the ball by the corner flag, the free kick is never given by the corner flag, but is given where the player was when the ball was played forward.

11 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Like someone said good job he didn't race back to our 6 yard box and touch it then lol

2 hours ago, Kid Pebble said:

You can not be offside in your own half. But the free kick from the offside can end up being placed/taken in the defending teams half.

Saying that, I'm sure today was one of the only times the law has been implemented and the ref is now in the pub trying to tell anyone who'll listen to him that he implemented the rule.

? I’ll try this on a Sunday morning, running the line for my lads U18 side.  See if I’ve got time to explain this  rule before I hit the ground ?

Edited by Ruud Aralliss
?

I (rightly) got pulled up for this on here, a couple of years ago(?) when it happened.

Without any checking at all, it's something like the (offside) offence is obviously in the attacking half, but the offence isn't called up until the attacker effectively comes into play (ie plays for, or actually touches the ball).  That's the point when the flag goes up, and that's the position the free kick is taken from.  Not from where the off-side position was.

I was (rightly) made to look foolish last time.  Yesterday, at the ground, I made myself look rather knowledgeable.  I like this rule!  ?

EDIT:
Might have been last season?  No idea!  ?‍♂️

Edited by Mucker1884