For the 15,000 folk unaware…

rammieib

19 hours ago, ram59 said:

I've just checked and that seems to be so, but contrary to that interpretation, how many times do you see a long through ball chased by a striker who only gets flagged when he eventually catches up with the ball by the corner flag, the free kick is never given by the corner flag, but is given where the player was when the ball was played forward.

Exactly the same example i said to my mates, clearly not all officials know the rule

Just wondering when the offence gets cleared. I thought that moving back into an onside position cleared the offence. 
Extrapolating and exaggerating for effect, if he hadn’t touched the ball when he did, could he still have been offside 10 minutes later?

Obviously not, but what is needed for him to be allowed to touch the ball / interfere with play again?

I’m obviously missing some trivially simple point, so be gentle. 

8 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

The new interpretation of the offside law says it is not necessarily an offence to be in an offside position.
... an attacker can stand in an offside position so long as they are NOT involved in active play in the three following scenarios:

Scenario 1- Interfering with play
Scenario 2 - Interfering with an opponent
Scenario 3 - Gaining an advantage by being in that position

Until either scenario occurs, the flag will stay down.

Interfering with play:
If the attacker receives the ball either directly or courtesy of a flick on from a team-mate or a defender then they are offside.
This is because by receiving the ball they are interfering with play.

Interfering with an opponent:
If an attacker interferes with an opponent by either preventing them from playing or being able to play the ball, then they are offside.
One way of doing this would be to block the goalkeeper.
Or get in their line of vision...

Gaining an advantage:
Lastly if the ball is played into the penalty area and the ball rebounds off either a post, the crossbar or an opposing defender, then the attacker is offside.
This is because they have gained an advantage by being in that position.

All above quoted from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/football/rules/newsid_3481000/3481977.stm

Of course, "Interfering with play" can effectively be wide open to interpretation.  To take that away, the rules would need to revert to "Off-side is Off-side", and a footnote referring to a famous and oft-quoted piece by a certain Mr B Clough OBE!  ?

quote-if-a-player-is-not-interfering-wit

Ffs who is going to explain this one to my missus?

21 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

So basically from what I have read...CKR was offside, but because he then chested it down in our own half after being offside, their freekick is taken from where the offside player touched the ball not where he was offside - apparently its a new rule

Thanks a lot . Years ago grey and keys were sacked for saying women don't understand off side. If they had said nobody understands offside that would have been nearer the mark