To blame Derby fans for DCFC problems is nonsensical

Curtains

13 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

In what parallel universe would spending the thick end of £15 mill on Anya, Butterfield and Johhnson give 'the impression the club was being run responsibly'?

We're not complicit, not at all, but let's not pretend we were hoodwinked either. 

But it's not the headline fees that were the problem. It was the ludicrous wages (weren't clear when the players signed), plus the shambolic mismanagement which meant that they fully depreciated. 

The total cost of ownership was ruinous, but you could only realise that once they'd left. 

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

But it's not the headline fees that were the problem. It was the ludicrous wages (weren't clear when the players signed), plus the shambolic mismanagement which meant that they fully depreciated. 

The total cost of ownership was ruinous, but you could only realise that once they'd left. 

This is true, plus a succession of managers who couldn't get the best out of said players. Not entirely their fault as there was such a mishmash of playing styles over a very short period of time. We really lost our playing identity. 

Then those cheeky little sub-clauses that triggered contract extensions.

Gosh, it was any number of cumulative small disasters!

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

But it's not the headline fees that were the problem. It was the ludicrous wages

It's both. Are you seriously saying that even with the benefit of hindsight, that you think we got value for money? Players signed for big money tend to earn big money. The two rather go hand in hand.

Most folk who are saying now, 'I would have done this differently' and 'I wouldn't have done that' are simply past-posting because by and large, most revelled in the 'Sam always gets his man' era without ever questioning his methods. Mel's biggest failure was that he bought into the pipedream too and let Mel the fan overrule Mel the businessman, a failing for which both he and the club have paid a heavy price.

16 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's both. Are you seriously saying that even with the benefit of hindsight, that you think we got value for money? Players signed for big money tend to earn big money. The two rather go hand in hand.

Most folk who are saying now, 'I would have done this differently' and 'I wouldn't have done that' are simply past-posting because by and large, most revelled in the 'Sam always gets his man' era without ever questioning his methods. Mel's biggest failure was that he bought into the pipedream too and let Mel the fan overrule Mel the businessman, a failing for which both he and the club have paid a heavy price.

If players are played regularly, do OK then they attract bids from other clubs so that you can get a significant chunk of the transfer fee back. 

Wages are always sunk costs. 

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Has there been any suggestion he was terminated?  I’d have though he is indispensable as the only person who knows where the bodies are buried 

Pearce would have only part buried the bodies.

Dig a six foot hole you say Mel? How about we dig the hole in stages, let’s just go a few inches deep initially and revisit this annually. You know a few more inches. No, no, don’t nail me down on specifics. After 5 years, perhaps with a 1 year extension, I can get behind the fact that the body is then beyond the useful life of an asset.

I don’t think the spending of the money got the fans backing. What it did was put them into a mind set we were spending big and as with other big spenders success will follow. Fans don’t judge a club by how much it spends it but on its success. The fans thought that would follow and went with it. I assume they thought we’d just throw more money at it and that’s what it looked like. 
Now the opposite has happened it isn’t the fans fault they support the team and want the best results for it. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

A philosophical point. The grass isn't always greener etc. 

I guess I got confused due to the more technical engagement with our specific case as opposed to sticking to a broader philosophical point about spending. I'd still maintain that people being deceived by a false prospectus is different from the 'be careful for what you wish for' idea though. 

Edited by Leeds Ram