To blame Derby fans for DCFC problems is nonsensical

Curtains

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I've not seen @Eddie or an other poster blame the fans bar that chap who seems to ducked off the forum. What I have seen is some suggest that some folk should recall that they won't so fussed about spending big when it actually occurred.

Not the same thing at all and you know it full well.

Now you tell me, all that effort putting that person on Ignore for nothing....

4 hours ago, sage said:

I wouldn't say we were to blame, but there was a lot of moanijnv during the Glick/Clough years about lack of investment and there weren't too many fans moaning about how much we were spending in the Clement and Pearson eras

I mean there is a massive space in-between what gse did for a few years and what Mel did. 

Just now, sage said:

i'm not blaming fans, just be careful what you wish for

I didn't say you were but I think even the claim 'well the fans were moaning under GSE and now moaning about mel' alluding to the idea we're wanting our cake and eating it too is a bit misplaced. There is a massive gap between the two models that most fans thought Mel was straddling which was more money to be competitive but not so much it would damage the club if it didn't work. 

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

I didn't say you were but I think even the claim 'well the fans were moaning under GSE and now moaning about mel' alluding to the idea we're wanting our cake and eating it too is a bit misplaced. There is a massive gap between the two models that most fans thought Mel was straddling which was more money to be competitive but not so much it would damage the club if it didn't work. 

People were lapping it up when he was spending big. When did fans become concerned?

Just now, sage said:

People were lapping it up when he was spending big. When did fans become concerned?

Do you think fans lapping it up assumed Mel was spending money that he couldn't really afford to spend and would lead to this? I personally assumed that Mel had spent money on the basis that it could be sustained at a reasonable level for the long term and this was not a boom or bust project as it in fact turned out to be. Now, unless you think fans were aware of the danger Mel was putting us into at that time and were aware of the ffp manipulations then what you're saying counts for nought in my book. 

13 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Do you think fans lapping it up assumed Mel was spending money that he couldn't really afford to spend and would lead to this? I personally assumed that Mel had spent money on the basis that it could be sustained at a reasonable level for the long term and this was not a boom or bust project as it in fact turned out to be. Now, unless you think fans were aware of the danger Mel was putting us into at that time and were aware of the ffp manipulations then what you're saying counts for nought in my book. 

Well that's your perception. 

13 minutes ago, sage said:

Well that's your perception. 

I think if people aren't made clearly aware of what is going on then you can't really dole out the 'you weren't complaining then' card. It's akin to those who say 'you shouldn't have voted them in' when a government reneges on a manifesto commitment or does something totally unexpected and unmentioned in a manifesto. You may say it's naïve to trust the owner to not take risks that could end with the club battling for its life and end up being deducted points but I'd suggest it's a starting point most fans factor in when discussing issues such as transfers. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

44 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think if people aren't made clearly aware of what is going on then you can't really dole out the 'you weren't complaining then' card. It's akin to those who say 'you shouldn't have voted them in' when a government reneges on a manifesto commitment or does something totally unexpected and unmentioned in a manifesto. You may say it's naïve to trust the owner to not take risks that could end with the club battling for its life and end up being deducted points but I'd suggest it's a starting point most fans factor in when discussing issues such as transfers. 

You are taking a very literal view of my point. 

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

I’d say Mel is a Derby Fan and he wouldn’t of wanted the Club to fail despite contrary opinions to the fact .

Duck the EFL

Morris knew exactly what he was doing and I believe he knew what the eventual outcome would be too.

I cannot have any sympathy for him at all.

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mods!

I think we need a poll on who is really to blame for DCFC's current prediciment!

a) Mel Morris

b) @Curtains

c) All the fans

d) Richard Keogh

I mean, we all know the real answer (it's d) but it'd be fun to see the results.

Before you enter the poll you also have a unique opportunity to sign a declaration to say that you think the EFL are a supper spiffy organisation full of splendid blokes with the best interests of the leagues and fans at the heart of their every decision.

Don’t miss this great opportunity to support your local organisers. A prize draw will be held after the poll and one lucky club will receive 12 bonus points and all their season ticket holders will get a dinner out with Steve Gibson. (Funded by club contributions obviously, but not an allowable expense ) 

If you don’t sign, our forensic accountants will be all over your books like a rash. Anyone trying to sneak a used rubber band out of the office will be in deep do do for the next 3 seasons. 

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mods!

I think we need a poll on who is really to blame for DCFC's current prediciment!

a) Mel Morris

b) @Curtains

c) All the fans

d) Richard Keogh

I mean, we all know the real answer (it's d) but it'd be fun to see the results.

How can the Derby faithful be to blame ? Ridiculous ! But you should add Covid and Brexit to your list and maybe BoJo.

4 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

“There weren’t too many fans moaning about how much we were spending in the Clement and Pearson eras” ?

Maybe that’s because they were under the impression the club was being run responsibly and any investment was budgeted for.

In what parallel universe would spending the thick end of £15 mill on Anya, Butterfield and Johhnson give 'the impression the club was being run responsibly'?

We're not complicit, not at all, but let's not pretend we were hoodwinked either.