Trick or Treat

Day

Trick or Treat  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm down the pub, I've had 8 notifications on Ring for sweets. We have no decorations, lights out.

Don't tell me these families only target houses with decorations, it's rubbish. 

My dog is probably going nuts in there as the door bell keeps going.

Autumn is great, but these Americanised events need binning.

Here you go mate. You're welcome ?

I live in Hilton. We bloody love it round here.

maybe if there aren’t many jack o lanterns out, people clutch at straws. I remember assuming everywhere would be like Hilton after we first moved here, so tried going round my parents in Mickleover, and it was really hard work to even find a jack o lantern. We’d be like ‘is that one, dunno, maybe, in the window, let’s knock and find out.’ It was rubbish, eventually a local drug dealer, high on his own supply filled my kids bucket with all his munchies and we went home. 

So I can see how people might knock on a door that doesn’t have decorations up, in a place where it is sparse. But in Hilton, it’s every other house, so I think those without decorations up are left alone, cos there’s just no need to harass them. 

we’ve had a great time this season. Picking out mannequin parts from a mountain of mannequins a couple of weeks ago, painting them, pumpkin carving on Friday, cooking pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice biscuits on Saturday, loads of scary movies with the kids, some spooky games today, stressing out over my garden projector, topped off with trick or treating. Everyone’s knackered, it’s been a great weekend. 

you want to get yourself some kids @David and you’re whole outlook on all this stuff will change. 

But now haloween is over, don’t worry, I’ll be over on the fireworks thread soon to tell you why they’re the best Chinese invention since the wheel barrow. But first, I’m going to bed. 

F11EA5BB-0483-4A94-B922-729016E0A6A8.jpeg

Edited by TigerTedd

They used to do trick or treat when I was a kid. Before the American version (sorry Mr kichner) ruined it.

They used to knock on anyone’s door, sweets or a brick through the window.

Why do they have to make everything so Americanised?

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

you want to get yourself some kids @David and you’re whole outlook on all this stuff will change.

Can promise you it wouldn't, I've been a kid, never interested then either.

Never even touched a pumpkin, never will. 

Plenty of decorations on show round here, yet our door with none is harassed.

Absolutely no chance I would ever in a million years take my kid out knocking on strangers doors for sweets.

Rather buy them myself. 

46 minutes ago, David said:

Absolutely no chance I would ever in a million years take my kid out knocking on strangers doors for sweets.

Rather buy them myself. 

Never had physical contact with a Leeds fan.  I'm not buying it mate.

5 hours ago, David said:

Rather buy them myself. 

You’re really missing the point then. We definitely bought and gave away more sweets than we collected last night. It’s not about the begging. 

last year, for example, we weren’t allowed to knock on doors, so we just made it a treasure hunt for the kids. When they spotted a pumpkin, we gave them a sweet. 

you want to come round here and see how much fun the kids are having. it’s like a 1second Christmas for us. 

you’ll always get the odd toe rag. When people are out trick or treating, they’ll just leave a tub of sweets outside their door. Apparently there was on group of kids just clearing them out and pissing off. Literally everyone has a ring these days though, so the little idiots have been caught on camera a ton of times. Generally though, it’s a great day and good fun is had by all.

but if you didn’t do it when you were a kid, that probably effects it. We never had trick or treating when we were kids, and all the outside decorations, but my parents were one of the only ones on our street that would even acknowledge the day, and we’d do pumpkins and play games. My dad set up some great games. I guess I’m trying to recreate those happy memories for my kids.

they will never forget their haloweens in Hilton. 

Funny thing is, my wife never celebrated haloween, so this is all new to her too. They always celebrated day of the dead in South America. Not quite like what you’d expect from films with big parades. That’s mostly just Mexico. But she’d go visit the cemetery with her family, and they’d go have a picnic their remembering their loved ones. She used to really enjoy that day too. I can really get behind that idea. I think it’s nice to have a day when everyone remembers their lost loved ones (remembrance Sunday could be it, but it’s only for soldiers really). So we role haloween and day of the dead into one.