Trick or Treat

Day

Trick or Treat  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I'm gonna go knock on TigerTedds door and beg him to give me £50 - if he says he wouldn't, he needs to stop being grumpy and move to an area where they give out money to strangers. 

PS: My folks live in Hilton and they most definitely do not want to be part of handing out sweets to random kids when they're trying to finish cooking or look after the dog or chill out after work. They never put a decoration out and yet still get multiple knocks on the door every year, so, no it's not a party for everyone.

Well they shouldn’t be getting knocks. You’re spoilt for choice in Hilton from people who are involved, so it does piss me off when people are still getting knocked on when they don’t have decorations out. Most of the time all the kids need to do is go next door, and they’ll find someone who is taking part. 

My kids ask, ‘can we try that house?’, and we clearly say ‘no, they don’t have a pumpkin’. It’s a pretty simple tule that I’d be willing to bet the vast majority understand. 

Hilton is famously chocca block with young families. Biggest primary school in Derbyshire. So you’re going to have kids having fun. Kids are not there to be seen and not heard, they need to be allowed to have fun too.

And no, you can’t have £50, that is clearly not the same as a sweet from a £3 tub of sweets. Try finding something realistically analogous. You’re welcome to come and enjoy my decorations that probably cost more than that though. 

From my point of view, haloween in general and trick or treating in particular is a really wholesome family / community thing, I absolutely love it in Hilton. C’mon, I’ve got to have someone on my side here. Or does a thread title like this just naturally attract miserable buggers wanting to join in the moan fest.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I felt slightly guilty about what I said earlier....until I read this!

@Davidhas said it already, but wow have to say your opinion has hardened my attitude.

Because other people don't want to join in this strange custom that's being forced on them,  it's actually their problem?

That's such a modern 'me me me, my children deserve this' way of thinking. If you want to throw them a party that's up to you but to expect other people to feel guilty for not doing what you want is just so entitled. 

PS have to admit my personal hate is the children's football team supermarket bag pack. Where they make you feel awkward as anything and 'charge you ' to pack 2 things in a bag while you stand looking.

When I was young Halloween wasn't a thing, but as a Brownie, we always went door knocking this time of year for bob-a-job week. 

Far from coming away with presents for ourselves, we often spent hard time cleaning windows, raking lawns, polishing brasses, shopping. Card got signed, shilling (5p) handed over and all collected in for good causes by Brown Owl. 

We got a big thank you for our efforts, but nowt else apart from a few blisters.

Strangely enough, we all really loved it and competed amongst ourselves to collect the most money. Being from a poor family, every one of my donations had to be earned the hard way in blood, sweat and tears.

Character-forming, I think they called it! 

Not sure when the tables turned so completely? 

I can't think of anything worse than a child having their fun organised by their parents.

My mum and dad would never have let us set fires in a supermarket trolley, while we swung through it on a rope swing, neither mind knock on the local wierdos door for a chase.

This is also why I wouldn't want my kids knocking on strangers doors for sweets. Not an old story, published 12 hours ago.

-----------

Razor blades were placed in trick-or-treat bags handed out to children on Halloween, police have said. 

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said it had received two reports of blades being found in bags given to children in Finstock, near Charlbury, Oxfordshire.

They said the blades appeared to be attached to chocolate bars wrapped in what appeared to be a £5 note. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-59132542

Here we have a 12 year old that was allowed to go out trick or treating for the first time by himself, his mum is complaining he got no sweets as he was too tall at 6ft.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/twelve-year-old-boy-turned-22036252.amp

At what point do you think it's ok to send your 12 year old knocking on doors for sweets by himself. 

?

5 hours ago, David said:

Here we have a 12 year old that was allowed to go out trick or treating for the first time by himself, his mum is complaining he got no sweets as he was too tall at 6ft.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/twelve-year-old-boy-turned-22036252.amp

At what point do you think it's ok to send your 12 year old knocking on doors for sweets by himself. 

?

let it go GIF

8 hours ago, David said:

?

Let a kid be a kid. He’s still a kid. My daughter is 12 and she came out with us at first and then went and explored a different part of the village with her friend. She may have been rope swinging through burning trollies (I’m all for it, I’d join her if she’d let me), but I trust her to be polite and follow the rules.

Id rather that than she say ‘I’m too old for trick or treating, I’m going to dress in a tiny skirt and go to a friends party with lots of boys.’ That day will come I’m sure, but I’m happy to delay it for as long as possible. 

What you calling kids? 

I went with mine. 7 and 9. They loved carving pumpkins, they loved getting all dressed up and they loved trick or treat at all the houses that were lit up

Especially the guy who had coffins and light shows all over his garden and was dressed as dracula playfully scaring the little ones. 

We bumped into other parent with their kids and those kids were excited. Kids comparing sweets and costumes. Kids talking about houses that they've seen all lit up. 

Why? Because kids enjoy it. Like trampolines and video games. What's the point? What's the point in anything? 

Crying that it's begging. I can soend a tenner on sweets and kids come to my door not to beg but because they're out having the same excitement as mine. Costs me a whole tenner. Wondering around in the spooky dark having fun. They're not begging me for sweets. They're out experiencing the night as whole. It's an excuse to have fun. Imagine 

If they were sat inside on ipads they'd be getting slated for that too? 

They're kids man. 

What's the point in being an adult and going out getting pissed up? Being loud and talking utter nonsense? Maybe... fun? 

Let's all sit inside and watch news about Covid. It's kids having fun ffs. And what because some 15 year old in a tracksuit steals a bucket of sweets that's what Halloween really is. It ain't. 

You choose to see antisocial youths knocking on old ladies doors. Look again and you might see excitable 6 year olds who get to dress up and have social interactions with likeminded others. 

Dare I say some people like to have little kids knock and their doors in their little costumes and use their manners. It actually warms some people to see kids having fun. 

Others just want to sit and cry about it. Funny, on a football forum. I can't think of any antisocial behaviour I could use as example to paint all football fans with. They certainly don't waste their money. Paying £60 for a Derby County costume to then go and swear, shout and moan in it. Blocking my roads with bad parking etc moan etc moan etc

Edited by Alpha

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

What you calling kids? 

I went with mine. 7 and 9. They loved carving pumpkins, they loved getting all dressed up and they loved trick or treat at all the houses that were lit up

Especially the guy who had coffins and light shows all over his garden and was dressed as dracula playfully scaring the little ones. 

We bumped into other parent with their kids and those kids were excited. Kids comparing sweets and costumes. Kids talking about houses that they've seen all lit up. 

Why? Because kids enjoy it. Like trampolines and video games. What's the point? What's the point in anything? 

Crying that it's begging. I can soend a tenner on sweets and kids come to my door not to beg but because they're out having the same excitement as mine. Costs me a whole tenner. Wondering around in the spooky dark having fun. They're not begging me for sweets. They're out experiencing the night as whole. It's an excuse to have fun. Imagine 

If they were sat inside on ipads they'd be getting slated for that too? 

They're kids man. 

What's the point in being an adult and going out getting pissed up? Being loud and talking utter nonsense? Maybe... fun? 

Let's all sit inside and watch news about Covid. It's kids having fun ffs. And what because some 15 year old in a tracksuit steals a bucket of sweets that's what Halloween really is. It ain't. 

You choose to see antisocial youths knocking on old ladies doors. Look again and you might see excitable 6 year olds who get to dress up and have social interactions with likeminded others. 

Dare I say some people like to have little kids knock and their doors in their little costumes and use their manners. It actually warms some people to see kids having fun. 

Others just want to sit and cry about it. Funny, on a football forum. I can't think of any antisocial behaviour I could use as example to paint all football fans with. They certainly don't waste their money. Paying £60 for a Derby County costume to then go and swear, shout and moan in it. Blocking my roads with bad parking etc moan etc moan etc

Finally, thank you. You’re my new favourite. 

We've never had any problems with trick or treaters. We are both ex primary school teachers and we are thrilled to see the youngsters all dressed up and their parents accompanying them, we put pumpkins and lights outside our house and hallowe'en  lights in the windows and all our young visitors have always been so polite. I tell them to dig deep into the sweetie bucket but they only take a few and always say thank you.

Mr Miggins dresses up as a witch but only when older ones come round! It's a wonderfully happy and exciting celebration for the youngsters and it's in annual celebrations like this that the children develop a sense of chronology and as a species celebrations are part of our culture.

On 01/11/2021 at 17:59, Highgate said:

Which is precisely what Halloween's predecessor Samhain really is.  It also happened to be the one night of the year that dead spirits could cross over and revisit the world of the living, or so people believed.  Hence all the 'spooky' aspects of Halloween I suppose. 

No idea how this ancient pagan festival has become what it is now, a night where kids relentlessly chase their biggest sugar high of the year. 

I actually enjoy this festival although I guess it all depends on where you live and how out of hand and anti-social it gets.

Festivals such as Hallowe'en are great for giving children a sense of chronology which infants find hard to understand. As ex-primary teachers we both enjoy welcoming youngsters to our home and sharing their enthusiasm and excitement - something we both miss so much.

All the youngsters who come to our door in response to our decorations are unfailingly polite and so charming and make us wish we were both still in the classroom. Their parents are lovely too.

Ghosts and witches are scary to small children, but when you see them dressed up as the things they fear and they are laughing and having a good time then I think that is good as well. As long as parents go along with children and only go to houses which display a welcome then I see no harm in it at all.

Having said that, I realise that we live in a law abiding place where trick or treaters are not a problem.

Edited by Miggins
Laptop froze and I thought my post had been lost! Sorry for any repetition!