The unlikely lads vs rest of squad

Ramarena

Interesting, if slightly tongue in cheek stat. (Or scary depending on how you look at it)

Curtis Davies, Graham Shinnie and Jason Knight (barely played) have the same goals and assists combined as the rest of the squad!

Davies, Shinnie and Knight 

5 goals and 4 assists

Total: 9 goal contributions

Rest of squad 

6 goals and 3 assists

Total: 9 goal contributions 

Makes Davies, Shinnie and Knight first names on the team sheet.

Time for a number of attacking players to step up to the plate!

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

Does anybody know why we can’t score goals? 
My guess is that without Kaz, there’s too many creative players and not enough ramrod finishers.

I would have agreed until yesterday, when we had 2 strikers on in the second half but no one to provide service to them.

Its all about balance it seems. Couple of creators, couple of finishers. Bit less ball security and trying to find the perfect chance (Ravel guilty of this) and a bit more risk taking when it comes to that killer ball/dribble.

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

Does anybody know why we can’t score goals? 
My guess is that without Kaz, there’s too many creative players and not enough ramrod finishers.

Kazim isn't a ramrod finisher either, he has only hit double figures one season in his career.

We just don't have what you would call a natural goalscorer. I have no doubts that Rooney identified at least 1 he wanted in the summer yet had his hands tied. 

Said it yesterday but we're in a grind until January. As long as we can remain in touching distance of the teams around us, then able to sign one in January, things will look a lot better for us.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Kazim isn't a ramrod finisher either, he has only hit double figures one season in his career.

We just don't have what you would call a natural goalscorer. I have no doubts that Rooney identified at least 1 he wanted in the summer yet had his hands tied. 

Said it yesterday but we're in a grind until January. As long as we can remain in touching distance of the teams around us, then able to sign one in January, things will look a lot better for us.

When I mean ramrod I mean someone who’s a presence up front, bully’s defenders, can keep a ball under pressure and release it to another player in the box or running on. Also knock a few goals in too, I think that’s Kaz.

A next level version would be a Mitrovic.

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

When I mean ramrod I mean someone who’s a presence up front, bully’s defenders, can keep a ball under pressure and release it to another player in the box or running on. Also knock a few goals in too, I think that’s Kaz.

A next level version would be a Mitrovic.

62A105AD-0A66-4400-A736-A6A8C1EF1C9F.gif

37 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I would have agreed until yesterday, when we had 2 strikers on in the second half but no one to provide service to them.

Its all about balance it seems. Couple of creators, couple of finishers. Bit less ball security and trying to find the perfect chance (Ravel guilty of this) and a bit more risk taking when it comes to that killer ball/dribble.

Agree with this - without service we’re going to struggle. We’re never going to be prolific at present, but we’re definitely not helping ourselves. 
For me, it’s time to swap Morrison out - David Batty would have made more forward passes than Ravel yesterday. Would be great to see someone like Watson given a chance. Can’t see it happening though!

9 minutes ago, Mountain Ram said:

Would be great to see someone like Watson given a chance. Can’t see it happening though!

Louie Watson has now been an unused sub for 11 games in a row. His last sub appearance was Middlesbrough where he came on at 0-0 for 20 minutes and completed 2 passes and touched the ball 8 times….he played 90 mins in the next game v Sheffield Utd in the cup and had no shots and created no chances and completed less passes than Ryan Allsop…..

He hasn’t kicked a 1st team ball since…I’m not sure Rooney is about to do anything too radical here…..although he does just seem a permanent fixture on the bench regardless of who is available.

1 minute ago, Abu Derby said:

Seeing that we are a receptacle for resurrecting player’s failing careers, we ought to go for Andy Carrol & Daniel Sturridge when a window opens. 

Sturridge signed for Perth Glory earlier this month 

15 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Seeing that we are a receptacle for resurrecting player’s failing careers, we ought to go for Andy Carrol & Daniel Sturridge when a window opens. 

As David said you can rule Sturridge out.

He's only recently signed for Perth Glory and will be playing (assuming he does play, he hasn't kicked a ball in anger since 22-02-2020) in the 2021-22 A-League season starting in November.  

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Why don’t we score? Here are the answers:

- No runners in behind, everyone wants it to feet.

- No focal point to play off - maybe CKR will help

- Creativity is middle of the pitch only (coupled with point one)

- Our free kicks from outside the box shooting are desperate to say the least - i’d let Bird have them all and I’d keep Lawrence well and truly away from them

- Morrison plays too deep so you’re constantly left with him, Bird and Shinnie being too far outside the box to scare the oppo

- Joz and Sibley just foat out of games (although they haven’t floated in to begin with)

- our crossing is atrocious (combined with point two)

We could do with just replacing the whole front four!

What we do well though:

- both fullbacks get forward well and at the same time - this is key so the inevitable overhit cross can be picked up (That’s when Buchanan doesn’t kick it out for a goal kick)

- We do find and create pockets of space through our middle third play but then we must get forward in numbers to capitalise on this

- Knight is massive for us and can be a real star. He’s prepared to do the dirty work yet has a huge engine to get up and down and tries to make the runs.