Double-Edged Sword

DarkFruitsRam7

This thread wasn't about whether cocaine should be legalised, but about the poor behaviour of some fans. Whether it is due to alcohol or drugs, fact is some fans at away games are out of contol and their behaviour is impacting on the rest of us.

Do we try to modify that behaviour, whatever it is due to  or just throw in the towel and accept away matches are no go areas for some fans?

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

This thread wasn't about whether cocaine should be legalised, but about the poor behaviour of some fans. Whether it is due to alcohol or drugs, fact is some fans at away games are out of contol and their behaviour is impacting on the rest of us.

Do we try to modify that behaviour, whatever it is due to  or just throw in the towel and accept away matches are no go areas for some fans?

I think they go hand in hand, It's a socialtel problem/issue, Look at how some crimes are treated today, The OB are damned if they do or damned if they dont do anything, I work in a very wealthy area of South Derbys, They have a strong issue with drugs, There is no standing police force there, It's run by an arm of the Mercian police...ie patrol in their cars, Crime has become rife, Drugs are high on the list, Familys have moved there from the South and brought their habits with them also, There are deliveries of the stuff, After a weekend of Birthdays, Weddings, Christenings, Concerts I have to clean up the left overs that have been used in all the Ladies and Gents.

Posters on this thread have said when travelling away...The police have seen all this taking of stuff...but do nowt, If they refuse/can't act then they dont see it as an issue

I agree that it can/will spoil your day...but what is the supporter to do?

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I often find myself feeling a bit uncomfortable with fans’ behaviour. I won’t let it stop me attending because if people like me stop going there’s no one to dilute the idiots. 

Been lucky enough to not hear the 2 mentioned in the original post by @DarkFruitsRam7but the Collymore song and the Rooney shxgs who he wants song make me cringe to my core. Toenail curling stuff. 

The newer version of the Collymore song is overly offensive, although he did bring a lot of that on himself with the celebration with Dwight Yorke, after Yorke finished off Dean Yeates's career. (Still don't make it right though). The original version that is a lot more passive about him not being good enough to play for England is ok.

31 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

The newer version of the Collymore song is overly offensive, although he did bring a lot of that on himself with the celebration with Dwight Yorke, after Yorke finished off Dean Yeates's career. (Still don't make it right though). The original version that is a lot more passive about him not being good enough to play for England is ok.

Seeing that in the flesh and the high five afterwards he most certainly deserves a lovely song.  

1 hour ago, 24Charlie said:

The flippant attitude to drugs, taken even by some on here, makes my blood boil.

It destroys people. It makes us less safe because the police spend all their time dealing with drugs, the effects of drugs and the crime caused by addicts trying to get money the pay for drugs.

Me, I’’d get death penalty tough on suppliers and long long prison terms on dealers even if they are only carry two bags and that includes cannabis.

Surprising view given your username...

In all seriousness, the 'war on drugs' has merely resulted in widespread drug use & a very profitable & very violent organised crime problem. The countries of Latin America have suffered horribly from the US led blacklist & no amount of tough action will change that. And those countries with death sentences still see drugs consumed & supplied...why? Money talks & bribery/violent coercion will always ensure supply.

To the subject in hand, there's a couple of things at play here. Firstly, lockdown easing has released a lot of very bored teens/early 20s & boundaries were always likely to be pushed in terms of substance abuse (coke, booze, pills) & general lairy behaviour. Saw similar from some England fans in the summer. Secondly, with Derby in particular...we are in a Leeds-type siege mentality with the threat of liquidation, humiliation & all the emotion that brings. Whilst I dont for a second condone some of the really grim chants or aggressive behaviour, I do understand why some simply dont care what they say or do. 

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Appears Sheff utd sing this song regular as well about some one.  Must be in the in thing.  Probably not the only club who should be self flagellating it appears.

Derby fans are so thick they actually believe what they were singing is true Then again so did some of ours at Hull that were singing it

They were singin that about ? on the kop today, no idea why tbh

I didn’t understand the Billy Sharpe chants, I don’t understand where it came from either, a bit bizarre really.  However I’m reading this thread thinking where has everybody been the last 30 plus years ? None of this new, the drink, the drugs, the dodgy songs, away day all dayers. It’s been happening for as long as I’ve been going to football, each to their own I say. The Derby away following demographics hasn’t changed, nor has the behaviour, it’s no different now than the 90s, in fact I’d say it’s actually mellowed and less violent than it was and if you want to avoid idiots it’s not difficult. Anyway   Watching football is not all blankets, bovril and happy clapping. It never has been there has always been and will always be a laddish culture attached to it, can’t see that changing anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

I didn’t understand the Billy Sharpe chants, I don’t understand where it came from either, a bit bizarre really.  However I’m reading this thread thinking where has everybody been the last 30 plus years ? None of this new, the drink, the drugs, the dodgy songs, away day all dayers. It’s been happening for as long as I’ve been going to football, each to their own I say. The Derby away following demographics hasn’t changed, nor has the behaviour, it’s no different now than the 90s, in fact I’d say it’s actually mellowed and less violent than it was and if you want to avoid idiots it’s not difficult. Anyway   Watching football is not all blankets, bovril and happy clapping. It never has been there has always been and will always be a laddish culture attached to it, can’t see that changing anytime soon. 

Q.E.D.

17 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Appears Sheff utd sing this song regular as well about some one.  Must be in the in thing.  Probably not the only club who should be self flagellating it appears.

Derby fans are so thick they actually believe what they were singing is true Then again so did some of ours at Hull that were singing it

They were singin that about ? on the kop today, no idea why tbh

??

Not excusing the behaviour for one moment but think the young uns may have a bit of pent up aggression/frustration after not being able to do anything for a couple of years. Trouble is, it needs stamping out quickly. Because if it’s allowed to become the new normal, myself and I suspect thousands of others my age or above simply won’t bother 

37 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

There is a difference between good natured laddish behaviour and loutish, socially unacceptable behaviour.  Anti social behaviour whether from 30 years ago or yesterday is no longer acceptable. It's no different from the 90's? Sorry, but times and attitudes have changed and demographics have changed as well. We don't want it all to be about blankets, bovril and happy clapping but equally we don't want to be sat next to someone who is out of their mind on drugs or alcohol screaming foul mouthed abuse all through the match. When behaviour impinges on the enjoyment of others and makes them feel intimidated then it is wrong.

Agree with your 1st and last 2 sentences. Disagree that demographics have changed since the 90s they haven’t, my assumption based on what I see when traveling with the Rams is the majority of away fans is males between 18-40 that’s exactly how it was then and I assume how it will be in 10 years time and 10 years after that and so on and so on. 

Would you not agree that over the last 30 years there are far more families going to matches? Granted that 18 - 40 year old men are still in the majority and probably make up the bulk of the away fans. Maybe the families just go more to the home games? You go to away matches and I don't so I won't argue! ?