Double-Edged Sword

DarkFruitsRam7

I’ve been vocal about how proud I am of our fans’ support this season. The singing has been pretty much non stop. I think it’s partly because there seems to be more younger fans (16-21) going at the minute.

However, there have also been a lot more unsavoury chants in recent months, generally led by that age range. Barely a game goes by without hearing songs about Nigel Doughty these days. And I must have heard the words “Billy Sharp” and “sex offender” 1,000 times yesterday.

Not sure there’s really a point to this post. Just an observation.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’ve been vocal about how proud I am of our fans’ support this season. The singing has been pretty much non stop. I think it’s partly because there seems to be more younger fans (16-21) going at the minute.

However, there have also been a lot more unsavoury chants in recent months, generally led by that age range. Barely a game goes by without hearing songs about Nigel Doughty these days. And I must have heard the words “Billy Sharp” and “sex offender” 1,000 times yesterday.

Get tanked up, can't handle their beer and ruin a day out for everyone else. 

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I heard the Doughty one pre match a few times and was simply gobsmacked. Thankfully, it never picked up any traction as that was a line too far even for those singing about Sharp it seems. 

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

They don’t even seem to be that drunk. Think it’s more a case of not understanding where the line is.

Too busy throwing beer in the air to get drunk. 

I do worry with little to play for except  potentially turning up to some of these bigger grounds/teams for the last time in a few years and being noisy..the mentality will get worse not better.

I remember being in a pub outside old Trafford (a long time ago when we were in the premier league, Jim smith days). The United fans in there were singing ‘96 was not enough.’

we were trying to work it out. ‘96 wasn’t the treble year, so what are they singing about. 

turns out it was a chant about Hillsborough. 

the line is nothing but a dot in the distance to some of these idiots. 

39 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I remember being in a pub outside old Trafford (a long time ago when we were in the premier league, Jim smith days). The United fans in there were singing ‘96 was not enough.’

we were trying to work it out. ‘96 wasn’t the treble year, so what are they singing about. 

turns out it was a chant about Hillsborough. 

the line is nothing but a dot in the distance to some of these idiots. 

The Strawberry Field?

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I have seen several people refer to this. Is cocaine a casual thing, then? 

I don't know anyone who has ever taken it. Maybe because I am old. Is it easy to detect/prevent?

Yeah pretty common. I know quite a few people, not just Derby fans, who treat it as part of the matchday experience now.

I don't think you can stop it without being extremely invasive.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't know anyone who has ever taken it. Maybe because I am old. Is it easy to detect/prevent?

Read the evening Telegraph, Full of drug dealing convictions, One group sent to prison another group take their place, Derby is full of the stuff, Even in the affluent areas

6 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Yeah pretty common. I know quite a few people, not just Derby fans, who treat it as part of the matchday experience now.

I don't think you can stop it without being extremely invasive.

There are sniffer dogs at PPS around the away fans section presumably to catch people with it still on them rather than those who have already taken it

I went to the Bramhall Lane game in August when we played them in the league cup.

First away game in quite a while and the atmosphere was fantastic. But, it did also remind me why I've not been to too many in the past. A few young lads who were clearly 'on' something and falling about all over the place. A few other lads who were much more interested in trying to get the attention of the home fans than watching the match.

However, it is part of the identity of football as the working man's game. I wouldn't want it to become a sanitised middle class experience.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

A few seasons back, caught the train from Notts for the Forest game. 

More fans than not were on the sniff, in full view of the many coppers also on board. 

It's little different for some of our fans, from what I've seen on Away days. 

Forget the movies where you see users chopping lines with a credit card and snorting through a bank note, it's far easier to take discreetly than that.

Just now, CollyerDCFC said:

I went to the Bramhall Lane game in August when we played them in the league cup.

First away game in quite a while and the atmosphere was fantastic. But, it did also remind me why I've not been to too many in the past. A few young lads who were clearly 'on' something and falling about all over the place. A few other lads who were much more interested in trying to get the attention of the home fans than watching the match.

However, it is part of the identity of football as the working man's game. I wouldn't want it to become a sanitised middle class experience.

What about the working women, old folks and kids? 

I think the behaviour of some of these people is an insult to the "working man" you refer to.