Double-Edged Sword

DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

you don't think once the 'standing' area of an away game sells out they'll simply buy the seating area tickets? The lack of availability and culture is the big issue for away games that means segregation unlike home games is going to be unlikely to solve it in my book. 

Agree it would be tricky to get the proportions exactly right, but there are a good 3 - 400 of us who would prefer to sit.

We moved at WBA into an empty block at the front to do this, but were followed by 20 - 30 lads who stood in front of us despite there being plenty of room in the stands behind us. It's like we're invisible. ? They weren't in their assigned seats any more than we were! ?

I stand at 80% of away games and don't really mind providing I am not being pushed about and abused by our own fans. I do want to watch the game, though, strangely. ?‍♀️ Sometimes that's very difficult! 

Anyway, I haven't given up yet, and as I say, some games are better than others. 

7 hours ago, angieram said:

I am speaking from my experience. You are 28. I am 64.

Supporting my club away from home is getting harder and harder due to people like you who can't see the problem.

It was worse in the 70s and 80s imho. My mum used to get freaked out at certain away games coaches got attacked on a semi regular basis. I had my car smashed up at QPR and we were regularly in physical danger  

That doesn't mean this is in any way acceptable or not bad, just that we tend to see recent events as better or worse than they usually are. 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Agree it would be tricky to get the proportions exactly right, but there are a good 3 - 400 of us who would prefer to sit.

We moved at WBA into an empty block at the front to do this, but were followed by 20 - 30 lads who stood in front of us despite there being plenty of room in the stands behind us. It's like we're invisible. ? They weren't in their assigned seats any more than we were! ?

I stand at 80% of away games and don't really mind providing I am not being pushed about and abused by our own fans. I do want to watch the game, though, strangely. ?‍♀️ Sometimes that's very difficult! 

Anyway, I haven't given up yet, and as I say, some games are better than others. 

I seem to remember when I bought an away ticket at Cardiff back in the N Clough days that I had two options, something along the lines of 'Singing and standard' or something like that.

Not sure if this is something I've dreamt though... ?

15 minutes ago, CollyerDCFC said:

I seem to remember when I bought an away ticket at Cardiff back in the N Clough days that I had two options, something along the lines of 'Singing and standard' or something like that.

Not sure if this is something I've dreamt though... ?

Yes it was a thing, basically it was do you want to be at the front or the back, now you get to choose your own seat but some people choose the front row but still stand up 

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

It was worse in the 70s and 80s imho. My mum used to get freaked out at certain away games coaches got attacked on a semi regular basis. I had my car smashed up at QPR and we were regularly in physical danger  

That doesn't mean this is in any way acceptable or not bad, just that we tend to see recent events as better or worse than they usually are. 

I know! Got to about 84 then had a full blown panic attack in a cage at Norwich. Didn't go to another away game for about 30 years.

Don't want to go back to those times. 

10 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Millwall away soon, something to look forward to.

I quite like Millwall as an away day. 

Nice enough part of London around the market pre-match, straight in and out on the train for the game itself, with little contact with the away fans apart from in the ground.

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

I quite like Millwall as an away day. 

Nice enough part of London around the market pre-match, straight in and out on the train for the game itself, with little contact with the away fans apart from in the ground.

yep, i agree probably the best away game to go to in this division.

11 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Seriously, why, sell it to me.

ok…. Here you go.
London Town, best city to VISIT in the country (would rather have my nuts trapped in a vice than live there) eh @Angry Ram 

Train drops you right outside the stadium. 

Great  view from the top tier. 

Almost always a decent atmosphere 

Never any trouble  

The name Millwall normally scares off a lot of the coked up numpteys that usually go to away games

Easy to get out of the stadium and back on the tube and back into London in minutes  

Decent pubs around the tube stops on the way to the ground 

We always win there…..almost always…sometimes…

11 hours ago, angieram said:

I know! Got to about 84 then had a full blown panic attack in a cage at Norwich. Didn't go to another away game for about 30 years.

Indeed we don't. I went with 4 mates to a night match at Millwall in the 1984 and we never even made it to the game. Youths on every corner, very menacing.

I say youths, at places like Millwall and Chelsea they were often big guys, many in their 30s and 40s.

We ended up in a pub in Chiswick and found the score out on Radio 2 driving back up the M1.

We lost.

11 hours ago, angieram said:

We went to the Dell Southampton in the mid 70s by train, Midweek game, On arriving at the ground we were hearded into the corner, It was a cage...front, Sides and top, Around 500 Derby if that were there, It was a raised terrace, Southampton fans to the left of us where their shoulders met the level of the terracing, We were getting dogs abuse, One Derby lad had a bottle of quink ink...fountain pen refill, He threw it on the floor on our side of the terrace...glass and ink went over several saints fans who were giving it us, The roar of laughter from those around us when we saw spotty faced saints fans covered in Ink spots.

All fans were treated as animals way back then, I knew some lads that became "hooligans" because of this.

22 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I have a really radical idea, why don’t we have an area for standing for those that want to stand and an area with seats in it so people can sit

am i right in thinking there will be plenty of standing away days in league one...?