Season 21 - 22 survival bid statistics

Yani P

On 25/11/2021 at 09:08, Albert said:

The way I tend to look at this is by looking at our 21 point deduction over the whole season, rather than a lump sum. Think of it as amoritising the deduction, the straight line method, of course. 

Anyhow, on current points, this is the bottom 5 using this method:

20. Cardiff 18

21. Reading 17

22. Peterborough 15

23. Derby 13.3

24. Barnsley 11

We're not well placed, we're basically 4 points below where we'd be on 'par' for survival, but the situation looks more manageable at the very least. 

The thought linked to this is that usually 1 point per game is enough for survival, so the relegation battle can be seen as:

Win: +2 points v rivals

Draw: no change

Loss: -1 point v rivals

When averaged over time. The points deduction is basically making it so the above is the same, but minus 0.46 points per game, ie:

Win: +1.54 v rivals

Draw: -0.46 v rivals

Loss: -1.46 v rivals

So really, we need about 3 wins to put ourselves on par, then maintain about 1.5 points per game from there. It's not impossible, but takes so doing. Honestly, it's doable if we can survive January. A new owner before then, and not losing any key players and there is a real chance of the miracle. I'd say only about 1 in 4, but still...

Great minds think alike ?

I really hope we can get to halfway with at least another couple of wins..that will put us on track..the 3rd quadrant of games I highlighted are really the make or break.. if we match that run or get close I will call us staying up with 15 games to play with great confidence.

17 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Lol didn't see that one..

I think your analysis is another good way to look at it, and more sophisticated in truth, but they both offer greater nuance than simply looking at the league table, though that will be the only one that matters eventually! 

Ive put in the complete season 20-21 just to help with tracking.

This is a vital stat as if this season starts to track above last we will know that 44 points wont do.

At the moment its tracking at 45 - i'm expecting this to track back by the halfway point.

Last season was very linear in that half one and half 2 both tracked to 22 points.

The last 9 games of last season is a bit of a worry as the progress basically fell off a cliff - we were the main cause of that lol

4th bot.JPG

16 hours ago, LazloW said:

The chances of staying up are a million to one… but they said that about anything coming from Mars too… but still they come. (One for the kids).

It is extremely unlikely though. We all know that. Coming up with smart a*** stats to demonstrate this just makes you look like a bit of a sneering know-it-all who likes to think they know more about football that anybody else (but what else is new?).

The last two games have generated a bit of positivity and goodwill. Let’s enjoy it while we can, as I suspect the tone will change somewhat when we lose a couple, as we inevitably will. 

The problem is when people don’t actually live in Derby, they don’t get the actual real impact on the local community. Derby do well, and the whole place is lifted. We do badly, and there’s a cloud over the whole city. We need to grab whatever positivity we can or we just accept it, and the whole city spends the next year in the doldrums. It’s not just about football. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

The problem is when people don’t actually live in Derby, they don’t get the actual real impact on the local community. Derby do well, and the whole place is lifted. We do badly, and there’s a cloud over the whole city. We need to grab whatever positivity we can or we just accept it, and the whole city spends the next year in the doldrums. It’s not just about football. 

So so true. 

4th bottom now tracking 3 points higher than last season after the run of wins for hull..

That currently pushes the safety number up to at least net 47 after deductions - so 46 more points

it can easily change as the reality of relegation form is that there will be teams that go through dire runs of consecutive defeats like Sheff Weds and Derby did last season.

Also, will it be Hull, Reading and Cardiff holding the 4th bottom place later in the season? are there other clubs that could fall in there like a Bristol, Luton or even Blackpool?....who knows..

Edited by Yani P

39 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

19 points is a vast amount of points to pick up when you have a squad as thin as ours, Fingers crossed that we're sold before the window shuts and WR has players lined up, Is it possible...yes, Can we do it ?, It's the others above the bottom 3 we hope fail ?

We would be in trouble even without the 21 points deducted. Only 2 points from the bottom three even without the deductions. Mind you we would be only 10 points off a play off place .. seven if we win on Monday.  

On 26/11/2021 at 19:31, Yani P said:

Ive put in the complete season 20-21 just to help with tracking.

This is a vital stat as if this season starts to track above last we will know that 44 points wont do.

At the moment its tracking at 45 - i'm expecting this to track back by the halfway point.

Last season was very linear in that half one and half 2 both tracked to 22 points.

The last 9 games of last season is a bit of a worry as the progress basically fell off a cliff - we were the main cause of that lol

4th bot.JPG

How about 3rd bottom, considering it's that total we'd need to beat, rather than match 4th from bottom