The Price of Football Podcast - Derby County in Administration

StapenhillRam

A very interesting and worthwhile podcast with Keiran Maguire who I don't believe has any particular axe to grind with Derby County and so perhaps a more balance view than Mel's ramblings.

Unfortunately for some reason I can't get a link to the podcast to work so you may have to google it yourselves.

1 hour ago, StapenhillRam said:

A very interesting and worthwhile podcast with Keiran Maguire who I don't believe has any particular axe to grind with Derby County and so perhaps a more balance view than Mel's ramblings.

Unfortunately for some reason I can't get a link to the podcast to work so you may have to google it yourselves.

The main problem with Maguire’s ‘I thought Mel was better than that’ is that he’s not listened to what MM said yesterday. Or understood what’s going on

Here it is (not direct quotes)

“I can’t sell whilst the EFl is on my back

“The EFL aren’t resolving this. They are dragging their feet and it seems they will continue to do that so long as I am owner. “

In other words, the anti MM vote on the EFl board is forcing MM to pour money into the club whilst they reduce the value of the club by delaying resolution. 

Ok Mel is largely the unlucky author of his own misfortune. But Kieron, you foolish man, it’s not surprising he’s pulled the plug 

Edited by kevinhectoring

3 hours ago, StapenhillRam said:

people hate maguire here because he tells us the truth which we don't want to hear

The lesser impact on parachute clubs and clubs promoted from L1 was also downplayed.

Bournemouth were earning just £3.5m from tickets and £1.2m from hospitality. It doesn't take a genius to realise a club like that isn't going to be affectected as much from losing £3.5m income whilst receiving over £40m in parachute payments as we were (£16m match receipts and hospitality).

Promoted clubs would have been coming up with a much smaller wage budget and a much more flexible position to scale up their spending to suit what their income was going to be during a Covid season.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The lesser impact on parachute clubs and clubs promoted from L1 was also downplayed.

Bournemouth were earning just £3.5m from tickets and £1.2m from hospitality. It doesn't take a genius to realise a club like that isn't going to be affectected as much from losing £3.5m income whilst receiving over £40m in parachute payments as we were (£16m match receipts and hospitality).

Promoted clubs would have been coming up with a much smaller wage budget and a much more flexible position to scale up their spending to suit what their income was going to be during a Covid season.

Don't forget covid started before the end of the previous season do teams coming up could factor that in their spending

I listen also to their twice weekly podcast as it is good listening on my commute into work, however they are obsessed with the rams and slag them off at every opportunity which is annoying, they also laugh at their own jokes which is doubly annoying.

I will listen tonight on my way home but don't expect any great revelations from him.

I listened to it for the first time ever today. Kevin Hunter-Day seems a decent bloke. As for KM, he doesn’t have any axe to grind with Derby I don’t think, but he is extremely anti-Mel Morris and with good reason, and uncovered that we were issued with a winding up petition from HMRC pre-COVID. Furthermore he listened to Mel’s interview yesterday and it didn’t change his opinion in the slightest, when Jim Wheeler pressed him on Mel’s defence of the amortisation policy he shot it down quickly, amortisation isn’t meant to be a reflection of value. It isn’t perfect but it’s consistent. Using transfermarkt to value players is as reliable as using Wikipedia as a source!! 

I think he spoke a lot of sense and is merely exposing Mel for the charlatan he is.

I think part of Kieran's axe against Morris/DCFC is we don't publish our accounts and he loves ripping other teams accounts to shreds when they do release them, usually on his social media. I think he's a very intelligent man who knows his stuff and I do like most of his shows but he comes across sometimes as a bit of a Captain Hindsight who thinks he'd do a better job as an owner/chairman. 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

The main problem with Maguire’s ‘I thought Mel was better than that’ is that he’s not listened to what MM said yesterday. Or understood what’s going on

Here it is (not direct quotes)

“I can’t sell whilst the EFl is on my back

“The EFL aren’t resolving this. They are dragging their feet and it seems they will continue to do that so long as I am owner. “

In other words, the anti MM vote on the EFl board is forcing MM to pour money into the club whilst they reduce the value of the club by delaying resolution. 

Ok Mel is largely the unlucky author of his own misfortune. But Kieron, you foolish man, it’s not surprising he’s pulled the plug 

Absolutely nailed it far better than Professor Maguire @kevinhectoring