Players Derby have ruined, and why are there so many?

DCFC Kicks

Inspired by the other topic listing our best signings during the Mel era, I thought I'd bring a bit of positivity to this forum and list every player whose ruined or damaged their career by joining us during the Mel era. As in players who had a good reputation before joining Derby but were never played in the correct position or system, or whose confidence seemed to just disappear as soon as they joined us for whatever reason.

Jacob Butterfield

Raul Albentosa

Abdoul Camara

Nick Blackman

Bradley Johnson

Ikechi Anya

Tom Lawrence

Florian Jozefzoon

Jack Marriott

Martyn Waghorn

Kieran Dowell 

Mike te Wierik

Kamil Jozwiak (on the way to be)

Why has this happened so often? You could say it's because we changed manager so much but there's other clubs who sack their manager regularly and their players aren't affected on this scale. Did we overpay players that much that they joined us anyway even though they knew it might not be a good fit football wise? Is our recruitment just bad and these players were never good? What is it about Derby that seems to destroy the confidence of some players?

I personally think it's because each time we changed manager, their style varied too much from the last.

Take Dowell as an example: 

- Gets promoted with Sheff Utd

- Does nothing at Derby

- Scores 5 goals in 12 games for Wigan

- Now playing in the PL with Norwich

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Inspired by the other topic listing our best signings during the Mel era, I thought I'd bring a bit of positivity to this forum and list every player whose ruined or damaged their career by joining us during the Mel era. As in players who had a good reputation before joining Derby but were never played in the correct position or system, or whose confidence seemed to just disappear as soon as they joined us for whatever reason.

Jacob Butterfield

Raul Albentosa

Abdoul Camara

Nick Blackman

Bradley Johnson

Ikechi Anya

Tom Lawrence

Florian Jozefzoon

Jack Marriott

Martyn Waghorn

Kieran Dowell 

Mike te Wierik

Kamil Jozwiak (on the way to be)

Why has this happened so often? You could say it's because we changed manager so much but there's other clubs who sack their manager regularly and their players aren't affected on this scale. Did we overpay players that much that they joined us anyway even though they knew it might not be a good fit football wise? Is our recruitment just bad and these players were never good? What is it about Derby that seems to destroy the confidence of some players?

I personally think it's because each time we changed manager, their style varied too much from the last.

Take Dowell as an example: 

- Gets promoted with Sheff Utd

- Does nothing at Derby

- Scores 5 goals in 12 games for Wigan

- Now playing in the PL with Norwich

Some of them were just bad buys .  Blackman was a perennial sub for Reading and had golden ten games, see the same for Jozefzoon at Brentford, same for Waghorn at 5 million a 250 k signing 12 months before - always limited but better than the other two as at least notable effort was there. Lawrence had 3 years at Leicester without a game for them at 7 million. We spent 4.5 on Butterfield after Boro swopped him for Clayton as a 300 k makeweight, he only had 10 months at Norwich before that.

We might have played some out of position but we also spent a fortune, including big wages, on very average players

Did we actually ruin any of them players.

I don't look at any of them and think they got massively worse during their time with us.

We overpaid for some of them, bought some of them based on highlight reels and played some out of position.

Other than Anya, dont think we affected any of their careers though, they left exactly as the players we signed in my opinion.

In about 1996 I had a season ticket and also played football (every other week) on Saturday also. Often I was sub (not unreasonably due to my irregular availability) and manager told me I would play every week if i did not go to watch the rams.

So in conclusion. Derby County ruined my Allestree Reserves career.

29 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Albentosa…was rubbish when we signed him, was rubbish for us and is still rubbish now. 
Same for Blackman

Blackman did score 11 goals in 25 games at the start of the 15/16 season. He's done nothing in any other season but we were so short sighted and impulsive at the time I suppose one good half of a season was good enough for us.

30 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think that you're apportioning the blame in the wrong area, the majority of the players on the list were never worth the exorbitant transfer fees we paid for them and were judged accordingly against this inflated metric.

Actually many of them had a good season or half season before we signed them. Waghorn, Lawrence, Butterfield, Blackman, Jozefzoon, Johnson

1 minute ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Blackman did score 11 goals in 25 games at the start of the 15/16 season. He's done nothing in any other season but we were so short sighted and impulsive at the time I suppose one good half of a season was good enough for us.

Blackman scored 11 goals in 58 seasons… he was always rubbish. 
 Actually looking down your list, they were all rubbish before, during and after being at Derby. 

16 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Actually many of them had a good season or half season before we signed them. Waghorn, Lawrence, Butterfield, Blackman, Jozefzoon, Johnson

Yes and thats exactly the crux of my point - we bought them on the basis of purple patches and paid over the odds accordingly which is typical of our lazy, shambolic scouting system.

36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did we actually ruin any of them players.

I don't look at any of them and think they got massively worse during their time with us.

We overpaid for some of them, bought some of them based on highlight reels and played some out of position.

Other than Anya, dont think we affected any of their careers though, they left exactly as the players we signed in my opinion.

What about:

Waghorn - 16 goals, 13 assists in 17/18

Lawrence - 9 goals, 11 assists in 16/17

Marriott - 27 goals in 17/18

Johnson - 15 goals in 14/15

I suppose you could say none of them were good for an extended period over multiple seasons. They're were all just part of Mel's short term gambling

36 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

In about 1996 I had a season ticket and also played football (every other week) on Saturday also. Often I was sub (not unreasonably due to my irregular availability) and manager told me I would play every week if i did not go to watch the rams.

So in conclusion. Derby County ruined my Allestree Reserves career.

Couldn't you make the Allestree first team?! Which year was that?