Goals problem will cost Derby

Barney1991

It might but the major improvement this season is we are creating a healthy amount of chances. We aren't talking as much as we should but we also haven't yet been able to really name a consistent attacking line up and arguably haven't had the rub of the green. 

Ultimately yes we should have scored more and yes it would help see games out but on the flip side you can easily make the argument that we've dropped points more down to rank awful mistakes.

Just now, Yani P said:

we have only had 2 since our last spell in the Prem..

That's true but rarely have had a side without someone who could at least get between 10 to 20..

At the moment we only have Lawrence who has got anywhere near that and the rest struggle to get 2 or 3.

We won't be getting anyone else in soon tho!

37 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Well hopefully if Mel can be arsed and the efl then it needs sorting out Monday to add the 3 players we need. We are conceding pressure and goals second half because we are knackered and the squad is threadbare to be changed in game 

It's a bank holiday on Monday, I bet those who work at the EFL have been given the day off...PS we aint going to get a 20 goal a season striker, The best i'd offer would be to get Glen Murray who was the pundit on our game today.

It might but i like what i am seeing at the moment, as soon as Roos has got the ball both full backs are pushed up on the half way line or higher. We played some really good football 1st half, Morrison is quality, his interplay with Lawrence, Sibley and Jozwiack was great to watch. Due to injuries wayne may have stumbled onto the solution to play Lawrence up top. All good stuff, just the result, real shame the 3 points were there for the taking, they werent very good.

I have been heartened by some of our slick attacking play of late, but not our finishing or decision-making. But we aren't far off. Partly we need to sacrifice a defensive player for another attacking body. Also, I know Sibley didn't have his best game against the Gumps but he is our player most likely to score so needs a consistent run and then he will get mid-to-high teens in terms of goals. Stretton is a natural finisher and goalscorer. I don't feel Jozwiak or Baldock will score very many. Lawrence will bag half a dozen, as will Ravel. Thinking aloud, it confirms to me we have to build the team around Sibbo and not play him on the left wing if we're to score enough to stay up.

On 28/08/2021 at 16:20, Barney1991 said:

Started this thread as I think out of everything that either takes us down with the squad size and other issues are biggest problem this season is going to be goals I feel. I’ve looked at players previous seasons and also the player themselves and looked at goals return. 

Byrne - 0 goals

jagielka - 2 goals 

Davies - 2 goals 

Forsyth - 0 goals 

bird - 0 goals 

shinnie - 2 goals. Most goals last season pens and not taking them now 

morrison - 5 goals 

jozwiak - 3 goals 

sibley - 6 goals 

Lawrence - 9 goals 

Buchanan - 1 goal 

baldock - 6 goals 

ckr - 6 goals

bielik - 3 goals

Stretton - 5 goals

probably been  harsh and some and more generous on others but obviously a guessing game. But even more I feel we desperately need a 20 a season striker 

That’s 50 goals there. If we stay reasonably solid i think that number of goals will mean we’re ok. 

The positive is we are playing in a way where we will create chances. There’s more to come as well as several dangerous situations in the game yesterday were stopped by a last ditch block or pass/decision wasn’t quite right. That’s common so early into the season. Depth is the issue because of our injuries. Get some players back it’s looking ok. 

If Lawrence plays down the middle who knows how many he could score, he could do a Kris Commons and bag 10-15 by Christmas (and hopefully not then clear off), I think he’d score more than the 9 you suggest, Sibley will get a few this season as well, I disagree I think he’s better wide

If we were going for promotion, I’d agree with you but we’re not. Ideally we need a couple more experienced heads in the midfield areas and we’ll be fine, if not then if we can keep injuries to the level we have right now then we’ll be fine, any more and it will be a struggle.

Even if we weren’t in an embargo we couldn’t afford a 20 goal a season striker.

Vydra cost us a packet from Watford but he didn’t get 20 til Rowett played him as a 10.

Brentford keep digging them up for peanuts but when we try, ie Marriott he doesn’t fulfil his potential and Duncan could even hold a place down in the U23’s

In my opinion, as we cannot afford a season championship operator, we may as well persevere with Stretton rather trying to find a pearl from lower leagues.

The obsession with playing 433 and 2 of the 3 not being goal scorers or goal scorers whom we turn into wingers has hamstrung us since Mac left. We buy players to play in a 3 and they don’t score goals, I’ve never understood it. 
we’ve needed strikers in our team even before Lampard, he wasted money on Waghorn (whom he played wide in a front 3) and Marriott who he never played. However you would of thought they could have been a fairly good partnership in the championship…….but again the 433 obsession put a stop to that being tried. 
Hopefully when all this is over, we are out of embargo and we have a owner who can fund transfers, then top of the list needs to be a striking partnership. Until then we will struggle to win games because we won’t score more than the other team. 

I actually thought Lee Buchanan looked very dangerous in an attacking sense when he came on Saturday, his movement, pace and neat control got him in and around the box in danger areas several times, would like to see him playing further forward more often, I think he's capable of finding the back of the net with a bit of confidence too.

13 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

I actually thought Lee Buchanan looked very dangerous in an attacking sense when he came on Saturday, his movement, pace and neat control got him in and around the box in danger areas several times, would like to see him playing further forward more often, I think he's capable of finding the back of the net with a bit of confidence too.

He did well, don't think he won a single header from a Roos kick out though as Forsyth had been doing (which seemed a strange tactic when Forsyth was still on the pitch, albeit now as a LCB) so hopefully playing him further forward wouldn't have to come with that an expectation for him to win those.

On 28/08/2021 at 16:47, DCFC Kicks said:

Which club doesn't want a 20 goal striker? they're very hard to get. Only four players scored 20+ goals and three of them are playing in the PL now. We don't have even a 10 goal striker and it doesn't look like we're making anymore signings. We need players like Lawrence, Sibley, Morrison and Jozwiak to all add 2/3 more goals each, which I think they're all capable of.

You’re right,  you can get by without a prolific one man scoring machine … but only if mids get in on the act. Good sides always have wingers and AM’s who got a hand full each every season. I think the names you mention all have it in them to change our fortunes. We just have to stick with the emerging, faster, front foot style of play. It is within reach, Confidence breeds success. 

2 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Even if we weren’t in an embargo we couldn’t afford a 20 goal a season striker.

Vydra cost us a packet from Watford but he didn’t get 20 til Rowett played him as a 10.

Brentford keep digging them up for peanuts but when we try, ie Marriott he doesn’t fulfil his potential and Duncan could even hold a place down in the U23’s

In my opinion, as we cannot afford a season championship operator, we may as well persevere with Stretton rather trying to find a pearl from lower leagues.

We've actually got one, Baldock scored 24 in 2013/14. It's a case of looking for someone who has/had potential and recreating the scenarios for them to score.

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We've actually got one, Baldock scored 24 in 2013/14. It's a case of looking for someone who has/had potential and recreating the scenarios for them to score.

8 years ago in League one.

That is a lot of hope there!

Playing two defensive midfielders and no goal threat from the full backs puts all the pressure on those ahead, therefore Sibley, Morrison and Jozwiak have to approach double figures for the way we play to work. Lawrence/Baldock/Stretton playing as the lone striker should score ten with the chances we are creating. 

We are no longer a threat from free kicks, no Waghorn, Rooney or Wilson. Lawrence will get the odd one, maybe Morrison, but it will be one in 20. Corners though we are crap at, we just don't direct a header at goal, Sibley and Jozwiak aren't good in the air, nor will the centre-forward be and it's either a Byrne near post delivery or a Shinnie coming down with snow on it.