The Chris Coles appreciation thread.

Rev

I don't get the slagging of Ed Dawes, he's OK not brilliant and he does care and i just grin at the goofs that get made in the heat of the moment during a game. I kind of don't expect perfection from RD as a local station but I do like to feel it's not a put on.

But yes, Chris Coles is better.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

What a difference this fella makes to listening on the radio.

Finally, a commentary that provides a decent picture in your mind of where the ball is on the pitch, what the level of threat is at that moment, and doesn't leave you fearing every single moment your team isn't in possession.

Vast improvement on Ed Dawes, imo.

Its great that Dawes is a Ram but you have to say he comes across as a rather immature individual who you would tend to move away from if he was seated at your table in the pub.

Coles is professional, relaxed and good, although I have noticed this season that he doesn't half draw out his opinions and turns them into a bit of a never ending monologue, even providing the answers to the questions he is about to put to his guest. Maybe he needs to talk less and listen more.

Talking of which, fantastic to hear from Charlie Palmer, and what sense he makes ! 

46 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

I have stopped listening to RD because I couldn’t take any more of Ed Dawes sure he’s passionate and better without Craig Rammage but no not for me. Turned on tonight reluctantly and so refreshing to hear Chris Coles the game flew by. No hyperbole no squeaking like a wronged child just good clear balanced commentary. Well done that man.

You mean your not inspired by 5 minutes of apoplectic rage about an opposition throw in on the half way line, followed by a further minutes about reffing some U12s team and the 15.30 train from Hull to Filey appearing in the distance followed by a couple of Canadian Geese.

I didn’t listen last night, but I did at the weekend, I think we have been and still are blessed with the standard of our presenters over the last 30yrs. 

its been said numerous times, but you should go out of the area and listen to what other fans have to listen to on their local stations! It’s awful mainly!

Not sure who co-commentator was last night, it was Charlie Palmer on Saturday and whilst what I could hear was decent, his voice was too low pitched and I couldn’t pick up what he was saying quite often. It also sounded like he’d started mumbling into the mic when excited. ?

21 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

The comments on here from I presume mostly grown men and women towards an individual’s ability to do their job are appalling.

Name calling? Really?

He most likely reads this forum.

Grow up.

It's 'name calling' not abuse, mostly. Doing his job is the point most were commenting on. Nothing I wouldn't say in conversation to Dawes. If he comes on here and reads what people think he can take a balanced view, some like him. 

I’m drawn to Radio Derby as it’s our local station but I can’t agree with all the reporting on our troubles regarding the EFL and the reflections on Mel Morris as I think it’s been unfairly slanted by interviewing podcast guests who have been criticizing Derby .

Lets hope the good times return and RD can enjoy praising the club .

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I’m drawn to Radio Derby as it’s our local station but I can’t agree with all the reporting on our troubles regarding the EFL and the reflections on Mel Morris as I think it’s been unfairly slanted by interviewing podcast guests who have been criticizing Derby .

Lets hope the good times return and RD can enjoy praising the club .

You can't just blindly praise the club curtains,there has to be a balance and if questions remain,they should be asked.

I haven't seen or heard any unfair criticism on any podcast and I think i subscribe to all of them.

I've only heard guests questioning what is going on at the club.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You can't just blindly praise the club curtains,there had to be a balance and of questions remain,they should be asked.

I haven't seen or heard any unfair criticism on any podcast and I think i subscribe to all of them.

I've only heard guests questioning what is going on at the club.

Like I say I’m drawn to RD for local news. .

I just want Chris to question these podcast people more about why they say what they do because most of the time he just agrees with them  

I thought people like Charlie Palmer and Adam Boulder were refreshing.

Quite funny that people come on here criticising people for being a little bit mean about the ‘commentator’, but there are literally 100s of threads that openly abuse the owner, manager and individual players!

I’d be more than happy to see all ‘abusive’ posts removed on the off-chance the individuals mentioned might see them. However, from what I’ve read on this thread, it mostly seems to be reasonable criticism of the persons work (which is in the public eye and thus open to critique).  I don’t know the man personally (I walked past him on the Cromford Canal path a few weeks ago but doubt that makes us friends) so would never comment on his personality. He might be a lovely man off air. However, it is fair to say that I find his ‘commentary’ excruciating.  That isn’t being abusive, it is merely a ‘review’ (much as I might a tv show or film). If I don’t like a tv show, I don’t watch it. As it is, I can’t listen to RD. 

I really don’t know where people get this ‘passion’ thing from. I assume it is from people who equate endless moaning and negativity as passion (perhaps reflecting and rationalising their own way of supporting the club?). Is it the shouting that equates to passion? Not for me. Noise is just noise.  Is it, as other people say, the way that every time the ball is in our half, the inflection in his voice makes you assume they’re about to score? I must admit that I often have the same feelings, but it isn’t passion.

My Dad can no longer go to the games due to age. However, he listens to RD and I can honestly say that when we talk about the matches, it’s like we were watching two different games. If the commentary gives you the wrong impression of what has happened, then it isn’t good commentary. But then, perhaps I’m not passionate enough?

10 hours ago, Bianoic said:

Its great that Dawes is a Ram but you have to say he comes across as a rather immature individual who you would tend to move away from if he was seated at your table in the pub.

Coles is professional, relaxed and good, although I have noticed this season that he doesn't half draw out his opinions and turns them into a bit of a never ending monologue, even providing the answers to the questions he is about to put to his guest. Maybe he needs to talk less and listen more.

Talking of which, fantastic to hear from Charlie Palmer, and what sense he makes ! 

This. 

Like a mardy 8 year old.