The Chris Coles appreciation thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

Graham Richards

Verbose, imaginative, emotive but excessively hyperbolic and often wildly inaccurate. He managed to create vivid memories for people of things that never really happened!

Rightfully loved at the time and remembered fondly, but would get absolutely slagged if he was commentating today, or rather someone else would if they had the same exact approach.

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Verbose, imaginative, emotive but excessively hyperbolic and often wildly inaccurate. He managed to create vivid memories for people of things that never really happened!

Rightfully loved at the time and remembered fondly, but would get absolutely slagged if he was commentating today, or rather someone else would if they had the same exact approach.

Ed Dawes is a bit of a modern day Graham Richards and I have no problem with that. I do think that some of the anti Ed criticism on here is more to do with people wanting uncritical sugar coated coverage of the club rather than a general dislike of his match day delivery. Ed is a Rams fan and I like his passion for the club. If I want unchallenging coverage I’ll tune in to Rams TV.

18 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Agreed. Even at the time he had his detractors. At times they could get themselves into a tizz and forget the game was on. They'd be going on about how cold it was and how long the ladders were to get to the press room at Charlton for about 20 minutes. We could only assume the game was dull... Anyway, they had their charm. And all their nostalgic talk about the various grounds made me want to visit them - which I mostly did. Even Charlton...

Chris Coles was excellent last night, as others have said.

If someone can teach Charlie Palmer how not to talk over the main commentator during important moments then that would be great, lost count of the amount of times he did it against Boro! Otherwise he was a breath of fresh air, be happy with him and Coles in future.

I also like Eric Steele. Some people find him too negative but in his defence, he's been brought in to co-commentate at a time where we've barely won a bean, and generally been woeful - perhaps he's just being honest and people don't like hearing the truth about their beloved Derby County?! 

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Ed Dawes is a bit of a modern day Graham Richards and I have no problem with that. I do think that some of the anti Ed criticism on here is more to do with people wanting uncritical sugar coated coverage of the club rather than a general dislike of his match day delivery. Ed is a Rams fan and I like his passion for the club. If I want unchallenging coverage I’ll tune in to Rams TV.

Ed Dawes THINKS he is a modern day Graham Richards, that’s one of his many faults. He isn’t even in the same stratosphere as Graham. 

As someone has perfectly put It already, like a Mardy 8 year old. 

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I didn’t listen last night, but I did at the weekend, I think we have been and still are blessed with the standard of our presenters over the last 30yrs. 

its been said numerous times, but you should go out of the area and listen to what other fans have to listen to on their local stations! It’s awful mainly!

Not sure who co-commentator was last night, it was Charlie Palmer on Saturday and whilst what I could hear was decent, his voice was too low pitched and I couldn’t pick up what he was saying quite often. It also sounded like he’d started mumbling into the mic when excited. ?

He talked some sense, but I also didn’t think he added much whenever it was his turn to speak and offer insight.

Ive liked Adam Bolder when he’s been on. I also quite enjoy Eric Steele, even if it’s just because I have a soft spot for him being part of a successful management team here!

I have nothing against Ed Dawes as a person or a fan but his commentary isn’t really commentary. He is more like a fans tv style, he tells us his feelings on things more than he comments on the actual events like, tv commentary on sky or five live for example. I prefer Chris coles when I’ve listened to him as it feels more like he’s describing in detail what’s happening. Which on the radio, is exactly what you need. You can’t knock Dawes’ passion, he just needs to channel it a little better into more descriptive commentary. 

19 hours ago, Rev said:

What a difference this fella makes to listening on the radio.

Finally, a commentary that provides a decent picture in your mind of where the ball is on the pitch, what the level of threat is at that moment, and doesn't leave you fearing every single moment your team isn't in possession.

Vast improvement on Ed Dawes, imo.

They could have stuck a broom with a face drawn on it in the commentary seat and it'd be an improvement on Ed Dawes.

Chris Coles and Eric Steele are such a much needed bit of fresh air on Radio Derby. I like Ed Dawes but the negativity together with (especially when playing Millwall) hearing about the next train arriving and the details regarding the train are not needed. I just want to picture the game in my head if I can’t be there! 

Ed Dawes isn't my favourite tbh but I'm sure I'll end up listening to radio Derby when I can't get to matches. If I had to choose a duo it'd be steele and coles tbh as they have the right blend of analysis but liking the club they're commenting on. I don't think the commentary a lot of the time reflects what is necessarily happening on the pitch (descriptions tend to be off in terms of positions, chances etc.) but it's not easy being a radio commentator I guess. I prefer it to rams tv though that was too biased for my taste tbh.