Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

8 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Nobody in their right mind would have said we would lose 10 away games on the bounce. Peterborough can get results , why not us? We can kick Mel all night long but this away form cannot go on.

Jim, you know my views on the matter. I've been calling for three at the back and a more solid set up away from home all season. 

Too many games we've lost goals going for wins when those points would have added up. It's naive management from a young man learning on the job, just like there's a young team learning as they play. 

Not going to knock him for it, don't see Peterborough or any other team for that matter playing so many kids.

Proud of the lot of them.

Should we change the title to "Relegation Partners", soon to be Peterboro and Barnsley. Derby have been relegated with 21 points deduction, transfer embargo's galore, forced  players sold, dodgy stonewall penalties not given etc. Apperantly the EFL are having a party tonight and Steve Gibson is footing the bill 

8 minutes ago, The Big One said:

We all laughed, sniggered and thought we had been dealt the perfect hand when Reading FC appointed Paul Ince, but wow, what a job he has done there.  They have pulled some incredible results out of the bag, instilled some fight, which showed against Swansea yesterday.  To think he is only interim as well.

It more than helps that Joao is fit and daddy knows to play Jnr! I'm still laughing if they get to keep Ince Snr.

11 minutes ago, The Big One said:

We all laughed, sniggered and thought we had been dealt the perfect hand when Reading FC appointed Paul Ince, but wow, what a job he has done there.  They have pulled some incredible results out of the bag, instilled some fight, which showed against Swansea yesterday.  To think he is only interim as well.

They've got good players as well, finished 7th last season. To be honest I think it's more that they were really poor under Paunovic than Ince doing some kind of amazing job. All they needed was to get a bit of morale back in the team and they would start picking up results again.

The teams above Reading are Birmingham, Hull, Bristol and Cardiff and they've all got 45+ points on the board with 3 games to go. The points total needed to stay up this season has been higher than average. We've been very unlucky.

14 minutes ago, The Big One said:

Maybe - but with a striker like Joao they were always going to improve.  If only we had someone like that.  Since he returned from injury mid Jan, Reading have scored 19 goals, of which 10 were from Joao, plus, I think 2 assists. 

48 minutes ago, The Big One said:

You are very pro Reading FC looking at your posting history. Just an observation. 

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You are very pro Reading FC looking at your posting history. Just an observation. 

He is Reading mate and I've mentioned to him before.  Strange he's come out the woodwork today.  Whatever.  He supports a club that are so boring, non descript and terminally beige that no-one gives a s*** about their far worse indiscretions. 

morning-yawn.gif

1 hour ago, The Big One said:

"We"? ?

You're a Reading fan, don't you remember? ?

Don't sit too close to the fire.

Regardless of penalties I think Reading were also just a better side than they had been showing and the previous manager was just not getting anything like the best out of them . Top striker back and showing some spirit and fight as a team so fair play, they did what we couldn't do and picked up consistent points at the sharp end of the season whereas our away form has just killed us. Sadly if we'd even been lower mid-table on away form we'd probably have made it.

What I will say though is that Birmingham City are lucky sods. Without the deductions for ourselves and Reading they would surely be going down. They're a mess off the pitch and in really poor form on it, getting absolutely battered on it on Monday by a Blackpool team in poor form themselves. Seems pretty toxic with the fans there at the moment although they seem like a pretty toxic bunch at the best of times.

1 hour ago, The Big One said:

And tell us, What were your thoughts when 1-4 down at home to a team who couldn't give a sh it.

23 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

Regardless of penalties I think Reading were also just a better side than they had been showing and the previous manager was just not getting anything like the best out of them . Top striker back and showing some spirit and fight as a team so fair play, they did what we couldn't do and picked up consistent points at the sharp end of the season whereas our away form has just killed us. Sadly if we'd even been lower mid-table on away form we'd probably have made it.

What I will say though is that Birmingham City are lucky sods. Without the deductions for ourselves and Reading they would surely be going down. They're a mess off the pitch and in really poor form on it, getting absolutely battered on it on Monday by a Blackpool team in poor form themselves. Seems pretty toxic with the fans there at the moment although they seem like a pretty toxic bunch at the best of times.

That’s exactly what happened with Reading, can confirm that is the case. Still shaky defensively, but our players stepped up. Drinkwater went from being a waste of space to a quiet but very effective midfielder, Tom Ince has stepped up in Swifts absence (say as you will with him, but I haven’t felt as if he didn’t want to change the results we were getting), Laurent has been a revelation (he’s played as a no.8 recently just as well as he did playing centre half earlier on) and Joao, well you’re all keen admirers of him so I won’t add anything. The only difference between now and then for Reading is that the desire was there along with Joao coming back. 

Probably can tell by my name and profile I very occasionally post here as a Reading fan. Just wanted to say good luck and see it as an opportunity to rebuild. For some clubs it forced a change of direction that ended up helping them rise even stronger than before. Brentford, Brighton and Southampton I’m sure don’t remember their years fondly but probably would acknowledge that was the league where the foundations were set for them to thrive. And the examples do not stop there either.

2 hours ago, SoneAluko said:

That’s exactly what happened with Reading, can confirm that is the case. Still shaky defensively, but our players stepped up. Drinkwater went from being a waste of space to a quiet but very effective midfielder, Tom Ince has stepped up in Swifts absence (say as you will with him, but I haven’t felt as if he didn’t want to change the results we were getting), Laurent has been a revelation (he’s played as a no.8 recently just as well as he did playing centre half earlier on) and Joao, well you’re all keen admirers of him so I won’t add anything. The only difference between now and then for Reading is that the desire was there along with Joao coming back. 

Probably can tell by my name and profile I very occasionally post here as a Reading fan. Just wanted to say good luck and see it as an opportunity to rebuild. For some clubs it forced a change of direction that ended up helping them rise even stronger than before. Brentford, Brighton and Southampton I’m sure don’t remember their years fondly but probably would acknowledge that was the league where the foundations were set for them to thrive. And the examples do not stop there either.

We live in exciting times. The question now is: will we be:

a) the next Sunderland / Ipswich - assuming we’ll bounce back up, but spend years trapped in league 1. 

b) the next Sheffield United / Bournemouth - coming storming straight back up on a wave of momentum and get back to back promotions.

c) the next Forest - eventually get back up, but restart the cycle of being also rans with the occasional flirtation with the play offs.

d) the next Leeds - see forest, but actually make it to the premier league years later.

14 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

We live in exciting times. The question now is: will we be:

a) the next Sunderland / Ipswich - assuming we’ll bounce back up, but spend years trapped in league 1. 

b) the next Sheffield United / Bournemouth - coming storming straight back up on a wave of momentum and get back to back promotions.

c) the next Forest - eventually get back up, but restart the cycle of being also rans with the occasional flirtation with the play offs.

d) the next Leeds - see forest, but actually make it to the premier league years later.

As long as we’re not the next Portsmouth/Bolton and carry on down into L2