Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

I think it'll take a couple of seasons to get the players in to challenge at the top end of league one tbh. Can't see beilik or Lawrence staying, that leaves us with basically kids. 

Couldn't disagree more. Rooney turned a relegation bound side (20/21) into a mistable side under some of the tightest transfer restrictions the Championship has ever seen - max wages equivalent to the average in L1! I have no doubt we would have been top 6 if we weren't under embargo.

In League 1, without restrictions being as tight as the were this season, Rooney will build a very good side next season. This squad have so much faith in Rooney, if he tells them we'll be playing in the PL after two more seasons they will believe him.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just watched the highlights of Reading’s win at Sheff Utd. Well deserved and should have won by more. They look a decent side now with their injured players back.

‘Should’ve won by more’ translates as ‘create a lot of chances but can’t finish them.’ I’ll take that. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just watched the highlights of Reading’s win at Sheff Utd. Well deserved and should have won by more. They look a decent side now with their injured players back.

Sheffield United were dreadful. Fans saying it was their worst performance. Booed off at half time. Credit to Reading for getting the result but it felt like they didn't really need to do much. Awful defending from the blades at the death gifted them the 3 points.

Reading have improved but they're still not fantastic. They lost at home to Cardiff the other day. 

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Sheffield United were dreadful. Fans saying it was their worst performance. Booed off at half time. Credit to Reading for getting the result but it felt like they didn't really need to do much. Awful defending from the blades at the death gifted them the 3 points.

Reading have improved but they're still not fantastic. They lost at home to Cardiff the other day. 

We need to do the same at QPR, different approach from the previous 8 away games….

It’s written in history that if a team has t won away for ages, a player hasn’t scored for three years then step forward Charity Park Rangers. 
Peterborough have beaten us 3 times this season.

I was at Highbury when QPR won 3-1 and all the headlines the next was because John Jensen had scored his only Arsenal goal.

53 minutes ago, Bobby said:

It’s written in history that if a team has t won away for ages, a player hasn’t scored for three years then step forward Charity Park Rangers. 
Peterborough have beaten us 3 times this season.

I was at Highbury when QPR won 3-1 and all the headlines the next was because John Jensen had scored his only Arsenal goal.

Does every fan assume this of their club? I feel like Derby County are always the team you want to face when you’re looking to break a streak. I always remember a season in the premier league (talking a long time ago now), when Crystal Palace hadn’t won a home game all season, with about 3 games to go, up step derby county to gift them a home win. Totally predictable. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Couldn't disagree more. Rooney turned a relegation bound side (20/21) into a mistable side under some of the tightest transfer restrictions the Championship has ever seen - max wages equivalent to the average in L1! I have no doubt we would have been top 6 if we weren't under embargo.

In League 1, without restrictions being as tight as the were this season, Rooney will build a very good side next season. This squad have so much faith in Rooney, if he tells them we'll be playing in the PL after two more seasons they will believe him.

I agree but he's quoting saying we need 40 odd players and that's not possible over 1 season, we'd surely break ffp again even if we had free transfers, wages for 40 players, under 23s, 18s and senior, imo would be too much for 1 season. Were gonna be watched very closely over the next few seasons too.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How dare you? Who do you support? WUM?

Nah, I actually half-watched it on the red button. You're absolutely right. Reading were easily the better side.

The boost to them has been João getting fit again. They've turned it around despite having Ince senior as manager.

29 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I agree but he's quoting saying we need 40 odd players and that's not possible over 1 season, we'd surely break ffp again even if we had free transfers, wages for 40 players, under 23s, 18s and senior, imo would be too much for 1 season. Were gonna be watched very closely over the next few seasons too.

That's 40 players signing contracts at the club, not all new signings.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Does every fan assume this of their club? I feel like Derby County are always the team you want to face when you’re looking to break a streak. I always remember a season in the premier league (talking a long time ago now), when Crystal Palace hadn’t won a home game all season, with about 3 games to go, up step derby county to gift them a home win. Totally predictable. 

Remember that, plus an even earlier game away at Chelsea that I went to in the 80s. They hadn’t won in about 20 games but still saw us off 1-0 ?

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Remember that, plus an even earlier game away at Chelsea that I went to in the 80s. They hadn’t won in about 20 games but still saw us off 1-0 ?

Just checked, Chelsea 1 Rams 0, April 9th 1988…they finished 5th from bottom in the old Division 1 ?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's 40 players signing contracts at the club, not all new signings.

Like I said, still have to be paid. I hope he can achieve it, but I think it's going to take 2 seasons to get those players in. Even if all the players here now re signed (Lawrence and Beilik won't play in League one) we're still massively short.

11 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Like I said, still have to be paid. I hope he can achieve it, but I think it's going to take 2 seasons to get those players in. Even if all the players here now re signed (Lawrence and Beilik won't play in League one) we're still massively short.

Well, we're paying them as things stand, so I'll be surprised if we can't next season either.

Is it any different to the transformation of the squad for this season. Only 16 of those who played at least 1 minute of league football last season have done so again this season (36 players used last season, 30 used this season)

How times have changed our first title in 1971/1972 was won with a squad of around 14 first team players, who could play on any surface from the bog of the Baseball ground to a perfect pitch, and only allowed 1 substitute in the game, they played 42 league games alongside the FA Cup and League cup, and plenty of the team played for their country as well.

They also tackled with such players as Dirty Billy Bremner, Chopper Harris and of course Saint Dave Mackay (true ) these 3 would be sent off every other game today, were they better times, Yes in my view or am i just old and grumpy.