Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, roboto said:

New tactic. Give the ball to Tom.

Unfortunately that'll probably work. It's the perfect solution for a team who just need a talisman to grab a few goals without having any real long term plan.

I nearly posted the other day that their best chance was probably to make him the star player, otherwise there wasn't really any point in having him.

When he was at Derby most of our managers seemed to act as if they were his dad managing a grassroots team with the only instruction to give it to his boy, and it worked for him individually (the rest of the team, not so much), I just never expected that a situation would arise where he literally has his dad doing it.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Unfortunately that'll probably work. 

I nearly posted the other day that their best chance was probably to make him the star player, otherwise there wasn't really any point in having him.

When he was at Derby most of our managers seemed to act as if they were his dad managing a grassroots team with the only instruction to give it to his boy, and it worked for him individually (the rest of the team, not so much), I just never expected that a situation would arise where he literally has his dad doing it.

Think he was his manager at Notts County and Blackpool as well.

3 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Funnily enough, this is the third time it's happened. He managed him on loan at Notts County and for a spell at Blackpool as well. Seeing as the Blackpool spell saw the club relegated while the Notts spell saw them lose 9 games in a row before Ince Sr.'s sacking, I'm hoping it's rule of three rather than third time's the charm.

22 minutes ago, JfR said:

Funnily enough, this is the third time it's happened. He managed him on loan at Notts County and for a spell at Blackpool as well. Seeing as the Blackpool spell saw the club relegated while the Notts spell saw them lose 9 games in a row before Ince Sr.'s sacking, I'm hoping it's rule of three rather than third time's the charm.

A very strange appointment imo, Ince senior has the ability to upset the dressing room with his "i'm the guvner" attitude, Players get comfortable with managers, Ince could be seen as someone especially with Ince jnr in the team who has favourites...with Joao in there he had better not upset him, I hope it turns into a good appointment for us.

4 hours ago, Oldben said:

Paul ince, managerial statistics, hoping he's as good as he was at the last team he managed and not as good as other teams he's managed.

Some of the teams hes managed, hes done well at, any return above 40% isnt bad ...

Screenshot_20220220-035226_Samsung Internet.jpg

They’re getting ready for league one then. He’s never done ‘well’ above that level (I say ‘well’ in air quotes because he’s only scraped past that 40% barrier apart from one occasion early in his career). 

Definitely this just proves his level is league 1 or below, and that he hasn’t lasted long in any job before being sacked. 

Unless he’s spent the last 8 years on some retreat led by Alex Ferguson, Pep, and the ghost of Brian Clough, I can’t see how they can possibly think Paul Ince is going to be their saviour. 

15 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Unfortunately that'll probably work. It's the perfect solution for a team who just need a talisman to grab a few goals without having any real long term plan.

When Tom was with us, PI was asked how good he reckoned T could be. He said something like: in the right set up, there’s no limit.  
Maybe they’ll struggle to make plans work if he’s marked out of the game 

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

When Tom was with us, PI was asked how good he reckoned T could be. He said something like: in the right set up, there’s no limit.  
Maybe they’ll struggle to make plans work if he’s marked out of the game 

Senior has been out of the game since 2014, In those 8 years the game has changed dramatically on and off the field, Agents more persuasive, More coaching staff, Excitable owners, Fans demanding more, Money getting tighter, Lower crowds...and more, What is an interim Manager...well I do know of course, Lose his nex 3 games and he's gone, I wish him no success what so ever.

Surprised Warnock wasn't installed?

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

When you look at Readings fixtures for March, they look a tough set of games. 

If we’re still within 3-6 points by the time we go into April, I’d be happy. 

Unless my maths is wrong which it normally is then we have 7 fixtures left to play in April and May......if we're 6 points adrift by the start of those then that's still a helluva tough ask to make up those points over those number of games left given that "all" Reading need to do is match our results

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Unless my maths is wrong which it normally is then we have 7 fixtures left to play in April and May......if we're 6 points adrift by the start of those then that's still a helluva tough ask to make up those points over those number of games left given that "all" Reading need to do is match our results

Currently we are 5 points behind with a better GD. So I make it that we have to gain a point more than them every 3 games ??

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Currently we are 5 points behind with a better GD. So I make it that we have to gain a point more than them every 3 games ??

Cool agree with your maths but if we're 6 points behind them at the start of April as the OP postulated then that would be an unassailable lead for Reading at that point with 7 games remaining if we were gaining points at the rate you've said.

Even a lead of 3 points at that time would be an unassailable one at that point in time.

18 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Senior has been out of the game since 2014, In those 8 years the game has changed dramatically on and off the field, Agents more persuasive, More coaching staff, Excitable owners, Fans demanding more, Money getting tighter, Lower crowds...and more, What is an interim Manager...well I do know of course, Lose his nex 3 games and he's gone, I wish him no success what so ever.

Surprised Warnock wasn't installed?

They couldn't aford him, he didn't want to do it, or both.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Cool agree with your maths but if we're 6 points behind them at the start of April as the OP postulated then that would be an unassailable lead for Reading at that point with 7 games remaining if we were gaining points at the rate you've said.

Even a lead of 3 points at that time would be an unassailable one at that point in time.

Really ? We still have nearly a third of the season left. Lots of twists and turns before then. My worry is a couple of injuries to key players and how demanding the run in will be for a threadbare squad. I didn’t dream we would be in this position so bring it on. Nothing to lose, all to gain ??

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I know it’s stating the obvious but they don’t even need to do that. Of course, it won’t be (or shouldn’t be) in their minds that it’s OK if we close the gap by much. If we’re within 2 or 3 points of them going into the final three games of the season then I would imagine they’ll be getting very nervous. I think our last three games look ever slightly easier with two home games compared to their one which is against West Brom.