This season's 'breakout' star

Kernow

11 minutes ago, jono said:

Like the look of Hutchinson .. but on sparse evidence .. Blistering shot from 25 yds. On target, good technique 

The strange thing is he’s played the most minutes (level with Ebosele) of all the youngsters pre season and is the only midfield player to have looked like scoring (bird v Betis excepted as I mean from the attacking players). His shot from 25 yds caught the eye but his other effort in the second half was far more dangerous and better technique.

Thompson has caught my eye with his simplicity more than anything else. Someone mentioned Gilmouresqe and I couldn’t disagree with that.

Festy will always catch the eye with his hustle and bustle and pace always looks dangerous but he’s very hit and miss. Saturday first half he won NC three goal kicks in a row with poor touch or end product. 

Cashin did very well Saturday but a Championship CF will be a different kettle of fish physically and technically and will relish playing against inexperience.

Williams will dip in and out of squads but I don’t expect this season to be a breakthrough more one of regular 23s and regular contact with first team Monday to Friday. 

I'm less convinced about Festy from what I've seen than others. His raw power and pace are definitely assets but for me he needs better technique and positioning from what I've seen if he's going to be making a real impact this season. I do like Hutchinson from what I've seen and Bird apart from the Man Utd game and second half vs Salford looks to be better than last season. But all of this is based off pre-season so who knows. There's been debates about Cashin but again that is all off a single pre-season against a non-league team... so in my mind it's anyone's guess whether he'll be good enough or not.  

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

The season starts this weekend, and it's looking very likely that we may not have a choice but to throw some players in at the deep end, ready or not.

Even if we sign the players we want to sign, there is still going to be very little depth and the younger lads are going to have to contribute positively sooner or later if we hope to stay up.

So, even if we do somehow manage to sign 9 or 10 trialists, which young player do you think will emerge as the next regular for Derby?

In past few seasons we've had seasons where one player has come from the academy, played more than first expected and stood out more than other's in their first real season.

Jayden Bogle under Lampard, Jason Knight in Cocu's first season, and then Lee Buchanan last season.

There's quite a lot more possibilities this time round. Jack Stretton, Eiran Cashin, Festy Ebosele, Dylan Williams, Liam Thompson... someone's going to need to step up.

Festy for me.

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

What do you mean and? Doesn't matter if its once or 100 times , plus it was part of a wider argument which you only took 1 line from ?

Perhaps, you can inform us of all of those FFP breaches that we have had proven, against us. 

Things aren't great and MM has made many mistakes without people making up facts, but one of his successes has been the academy, which in the long run, may make the club self-sufficient.

Bird and Sibley to kick on, Watson to play a lot of matches this season.

If we don't get Mengi, Cashin could be on the bench, with a fair few 20 minute cameo's.

Hoping Buchanan doesn't go anywhere, or Lawrence  5Mil &  8Mil, anything less is a

joke! If Lawrence does leave then Stretton to make a big impact.

13 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm less convinced about Festy from what I've seen than others. His raw power and pace are definitely assets but for me he needs better technique and positioning from what I've seen if he's going to be making a real impact this season. I do like Hutchinson from what I've seen and Bird apart from the Man Utd game and second half vs Salford looks to be better than last season. But all of this is based off pre-season so who knows. There's been debates about Cashin but again that is all off a single pre-season against a non-league team... so in my mind it's anyone's guess whether he'll be good enough or not.  

Exactly my thoughts on Ebosele,  I would rate Cashin higher thou, as for me he's been a standout performer for

the Academy for a long time.