This season's 'breakout' star

Kernow

The season starts this weekend, and it's looking very likely that we may not have a choice but to throw some players in at the deep end, ready or not.

Even if we sign the players we want to sign, there is still going to be very little depth and the younger lads are going to have to contribute positively sooner or later if we hope to stay up.

So, even if we do somehow manage to sign 9 or 10 trialists, which young player do you think will emerge as the next regular for Derby?

In past few seasons we've had seasons where one player has come from the academy, played more than first expected and stood out more than other's in their first real season.

Jayden Bogle under Lampard, Jason Knight in Cocu's first season, and then Lee Buchanan last season.

There's quite a lot more possibilities this time round. Jack Stretton, Eiran Cashin, Festy Ebosele, Dylan Williams, Liam Thompson... someone's going to need to step up.

There are several possibilities and they all stem from Mel's vision in developing our academy to be one of the best in the country. If, as hoped, several of those young players go on to perform well for us and move us up the table, how many of those currently slagging off Mel Morris will be prepared to eat humble pie and recognise that?

Without signings, we have a lot of academy lads in backup positions until Knight and Bielik return, and even then we're still lacking a lot of depth. Sibley, with just 1774 minutes of Championship football to his name, is our 10th most experienced outfielder.
We would need one of the CBs to be the breakout start - whether Cashin, JBrown or Solomon. We'd also need one of Sibley, Hutchinson, Watson and Ebosele to claim one of the 3 AM spots.
Stretton could be a serious contender if he's got over his injury troubles.
Williams will have a bit of a run in the side whilst Buchanan recovers, and I think he'd do well enough to keep the spot even when Buchanan's fit.
LThompson would also be our backup CM for a few months.

Get all of the trialists in and the picture looks a lot different. The breakthough start would then be between Ebosele, Watson, Hutchinson and Stretton. The first three would be competing with Morrison to get into the starting lineup, whereas Stretton competing against Kazim and Baldock.

No signings: Cashin
With signings: Ebosele

Watson, Thompson and ebosele could all really develop this season. 

Bird and sibley to hopefully progress on from breakthrough to established. And by that I mean more consistent performers. 

Edited by Ramos

50 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

There are several possibilities and they all stem from Mel's vision in developing our academy to be one of the best in the country. If, as hoped, several of those young players go on to perform well for us and move us up the table, how many of those currently slagging off Mel Morris will be prepared to eat humble pie and recognise that?

Not paying clubs wages multiple times , having more ffp breaches than water holes on the titanic , putting the club into uncertainty to the point we don't know If we will have a starting 11 on Saturday that doesn't include forcefully played academy players ,  but yes let's praise Mel and eat humble pie because we have a good academy ? give over 

I think I am with @RoyMac5on this one. He looked useful in his cameo against Man U. Even in a few minutes you could see determination and quick feet. The clips I saw from the Notts game cemented that .. woooo and he has pace / acceleration/ physique. Just waiting to see what the decision making is like in a rough and tumble league game. He really looks the full package at the moment.

Like the look of Hutchinson .. but on sparse evidence .. Blistering shot from 25 yds. On target, good technique 

Watson … Against the Real he looked to be made of the right stuff.

Cashin .. everyone is over the moon. I haven’t seen him first hand so difficult to tell but that late run in for the header, and how he banged it low and down, tells me .. this is a bright boy who knows his stuff. 

For me though, the big question is Sibley and Bird. Both talented and easy to see that they could be top championship level players … but can they achieve consistency and can, in Sibley case, control some of the hot head reactions. Also with Bird .. what’s his best position .. as a DM, I don’t think he’s learned enough to do it on his own. Further up the field, he isn’t afraid to shoot and looks very positive ? 

soz guys .. I always ramble ?

8 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Not paying clubs wages multiple times , having more ffp breaches than water holes on the titanic , putting the club into uncertainty to the point we don't know If we will have a starting 11 on Saturday that doesn't include forcefully played academy players ,  but yes let's praise Mel and eat humble pie because we have a good academy ? give over 

December 2020 when the takeover fell through, and....?