Who will be our first signing?

RoyMac5

"STEVE NICHOLSON: Fans asking about signings

The out-of-contract players/trialists trained yesterday and signings could still happen before noon today, I understand.

Medicals have been completed, it seems.

Now it is a waiting game."

The bit about medicals being done was in Nixon's piece yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Has our next signing actually been born yet?  By the time these accounts have been submitted money will no longer be a concept and we will all be hard-wired into a mainframe. 

@EraniosSocks is working on that one. Should happen today ????

Edited by ollycutts1982

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Here is a different option - the EFL could raise the bar on what an established player is from one appearance to three which may actually please a few other clubs as well whilst being a bit more realistic on what an established player is.

Yes, the 'not just for us' bit would be appealing. Isn't it 5 games if under soft embargo?

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I believe so yes

I boggles my mind that there can be two different definitions of what counts as a player of professional standing... 

Isn't the distinction between"professional standing" i.e. has played any football as a professional at all and "established player" which is the EFL term and used for soft embargo which has the 3 game/5 game / whatever criteria?

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Isn't the distinction between"professional standing" i.e. has played any football as a professional at all and "established player" which is the EFL term and used for soft embargo which has the 3 game/5 game / whatever criteria?

Ah yes, could well be

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would love it if we don't announce anything, only for Jagielka and Davies to be named on the teamsheet at 2 tomorrow. 

love it GIF

I think that would be excellent. The main frustration for managers is having their team leaked to opponents in advance and it has to give us an advantage and a lift if we can sign the key centre halves but keep it under wraps.

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But is this an area we're trying for, else I can't see how we could expect to sign all the trialists in one go?

There's been lots of hysteria here and on social around midday today as some kind of do or die moment. That's only for tomorrow's game, where the only real shortage is at CH.

We can still get players signed until the transfer deadline on September 2nd. 

Plenty of time to get this sorted, even if it means playing a younger side for the first couple of games. 

Folk need to calm down a little. 

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

There's been lots of hysteria here and on social around midday today as some kind of do or die moment. That's only for tomorrow's game, where the only real shortage is at CH.

Plenty of time to get this sorted, even if it means playing a younger side for the first couple of games. 

See Mel, talking direct to the fans is easy when you try! 

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

We can still get players signed until the transfer deadline on September 2nd

And beyond if they are free agents. 

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I think people are worried about us having to use up players tomorrow that aren't currently classed as having 'Professional standing'. If we do, then under current circumstances that reduces the amount of players we can add whilst the embargo is still in place?