EFL Verdict

DCFC90

12 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

My post was in response to one which basically said: “the EFl approved our accounts. There is some arcane legal doctrine that gives us a basis to refuse a points deduction so if they try to apply one should we try that one on”

Im saying two things: first we should not be putting forward spurious and disingenuous legal arguments to avoid a points deduction if we fail FFP when we resubmit. We should take it on the chin, move on and focus on what is going on on the pitch. In the long run we’ll be better off 

the second thing is related, and Pearce has already said it: we need to build bridges with the EFl. So we should stop carping about them in club statements. We should stop briefing against them in the press. And we should establish better and less confrontational back channels with them and the other chairman. 

The distraction of the EFl proceedings has been damaging and has probably scared good buyers off. And as a club we are ridiculously isolated which is not a great place to be 

So sending the muck spreader to the efl headquarters is off then☹️

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2021/7/8/22564390/reading-fc-transfer-embargo-confirmed-efl-what-you-need-to-know-royals

On The Tilehurst End Podcast in April, football finance expert Kieran Maguire said: “The thing that Reading have got in their favour is that I don’t think there is any desire from the clubs in the EFL for their fellow clubs to end up with points deductions. We could end up with eight or nine clubs being on the end of points deductions, which means from a sporting integrity perspective, it would make a nonsense of 2021/22 as a season.

“I suspect there won’t be any profitability and sustainability points deductions for the forthcoming season. What the EFL will probably do is assess clubs over two years. Take the losses in 2021 and take the losses in 2022, halve them and use that as the basis for the three-year assessment. So things will be really challenging in 12 months’ time.”

Edited by rynny
Removed the whole article

8 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2021/7/8/22564390/reading-fc-transfer-embargo-confirmed-efl-what-you-need-to-know-royals

The English Football League have confirmed that Reading are currently under a transfer embargo for breaching profit and sustainability rules. Given the club’s inactivity in the transfer window this summer, this was already rumoured to be the case but we now have it in writing.

Whereas information on embargos was previously, err... embargoed, last month EFL clubs agreed that a list of all clubs under such restrictions should be published in the interests of transparency and fair governance.

Reading are one of eight clubs to be named on the EFL website, including two other Championship sides: Derby County and Hull City. But what does it actually mean for the Royals both on and off the pitch?

Why have Reading been placed under a transfer embargo?

The EFL state that the club have breached profit and sustainability rules, which essentially means they have spent too much money. Under the current regulations, teams are allowed to lose £39 million (pre-tax) across three seasons, but Reading’s most recent set of accounts revealed that the Royals lost £42 million in 2019/20 alone. Across the three-year period, they made an eye-watering pre-tax loss of £93 million.

It is right to say that the club have been actively cost-cutting in the 18 months. High earners such as Garath McCleary, Mo Barrow, Sam Baldock and Sone Aluko have been taken off the wage book and incomings have been limited to free signings and loan deals, with the exception of the £3.5 million spent on Ovie Ejaria. This is a positive sign, but it comes too late to save Reading from the grotesque amount of money they spent between 2017 and 2019.

Will we get a points deduction?

At this point, there is no indication that Reading will be docked points like Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday have been in recent seasons. The embargo may be seen as suitable punishment for now, particularly considering that the Royals are cost-cutting with vigour. There is also the impact of Covid-19 to consider, and the EFL are said to be understanding of the demands clubs have faced during the pandemic.

On The Tilehurst End Podcast in April, football finance expert Kieran Maguire said: “The thing that Reading have got in their favour is that I don’t think there is any desire from the clubs in the EFL for their fellow clubs to end up with points deductions. We could end up with eight or nine clubs being on the end of points deductions, which means from a sporting integrity perspective, it would make a nonsense of 2021/22 as a season.

“I suspect there won’t be any profitability and sustainability points deductions for the forthcoming season. What the EFL will probably do is assess clubs over two years. Take the losses in 2021 and take the losses in 2022, halve them and use that as the basis for the three-year assessment. So things will be really challenging in 12 months’ time.”

This what I am worried about hopefully we will not be dealt with more harshly than covid hit clubs

2 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

More EFL sanctions tonight. #dcfc have accepted a suspended 3-point deduction that will be activated if they fail to pay their players before June 30 2022. #swfc have accepted a suspended 6-points deduction, which becomes active if they don’t pay before the same date

That’s one off the list then

I know in the grand scheme of things this isn’t that big of a deal, but it’s so long since we’ve heard any sort of vaguely positive new (I’d really like to give the club my money, but even something as normal as buying a season ticket is out of reach) that my overwhelming reaction to this is “meh.” That’s a mark of how much we lurch from one off-field shenanigan to the next.

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I know in the grand scheme of things this isn’t that big of a deal, but it’s so long since we’ve heard any sort of vaguely positive new (I’d really like to give the club my money, but even something as normal as buying a season ticket is out of reach) that my overwhelming reaction to this is “meh.” That’s a mark of how much we lurch from one off-field shenanigan to the next.

Only for now but hopeful not much longer