EFL Verdict

DCFC90

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Exactly. It's not as if this is the first time it's happened so there should already be a precedent. 

Anyone heard of Notts Forest - no? me neither - didn’t pay their players in March 2016, and not for the first time as I recall. Carry on.

9 hours ago, Boycie said:

Trouble is, if the new investor promises to pay the wages and Mel goes to bed thinking all’s sorted. Then it’s not, I guess it’s Mels fault right?

If its payroll time and you own the club then you pay the players and staff. It's as simple as that in my mind.

If Mel went to bed hoping BZG would come through then as harsh as it sounds, more fool him. 

33 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If its payroll time and you own the club then you pay the players and staff. It's as simple as that in my mind.

If Mel went to bed hoping BZG would come through then as harsh as it sounds, more fool him. 

So if you are selling your house and contracts are being exchanged you would pay the next instalment of your mortgage , council tax bills etc just in case even though legally you are not obliged to do so ? 

4 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

So if you are selling your house and contracts are being exchanged you would pay the next instalment of your mortgage , council tax bills etc just in case even though legally you are not obliged to do so ? 

Yes you would, and you are legally obliged to. Other than that you nailed it with that analogy.

Edited by i-Ram

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Yes you would, and you are legally obliged to. Other than that you nailed it with that analogy.

Should I say at the point of sale then. Then if the sale falls through at the last minute you would make other arrangements to pay when known which is precisely what Mel did. 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

15 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Should I say at the point of sale then. Then if the sale falls through at the last minute you would make other arrangements to pay when known which is precisely what Mel did. 

If it falls through at the last minute you haven't reached the point of sale. 

Like Mel didn't. 

34 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

You can’t realistically expect the elf to go back to 2016 to punish a club, oh wait.

I don’t think that’s the point. The “crime” has been committed in the past by a number of clubs and therefore a precedent should have been set by now.

17 hours ago, Spanish said:

This what I am worried about hopefully we will not be dealt with more harshly than covid hit clubs

We are all COVID affected clubs, Reading average what 10-12000 per game so that’s £8mish lost to COVID, we average about 26,000 so that would be a loss of £20mish if you add food, drink and hospitality then the loss comparison gets even bigger. COVID affected the clubs with bigger fan bases more. 

I don’t agree with Maguire on this, the EFL should deduct what they judge clubs have lost due to Covid-19 and then treat everyone the same. They should have come up with a formula for this by now. Clubs like Stoke and Reading who have huge losses should be treated in the same way as SWFC and DCFC

28 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Whether we think it's harsh compared to Sheff Weds is pretty irrelevant when the club have accepted the penalty rather than appealing and sending it to a DC.

Well after saying we were trying to 'build bridges' with the EFL it'd be a little soon to appeal to a DC!!! We're no doubt 'keeping our powder dry' for later. They know that too. Why not 3 points suspended until January - similar to the Wendies?

8 minutes ago, Taribo said:

This a good and fair punishment isn’t it? We didn’t pay our players, we know that’s a big deal with the EFL, but if we pay players next season - like a club should - then we get away scot-free. Or have I missed something? 

You missed that another EFL club (Sheff Weds) didn't pay their players for 4 months and got what might be seen as a more lenient punishment. 

Submit the accounts, come out of embargo.

Pay employees, don't get points deducted. 'I thought someone else was going to do it' is the equivalent of 'the dog ate my homework'.

Sheffield Wednesday's punishment is neither here nor there if DCFC have accepted their punishment. The club saying' 'What about them?' is just going to make Derby look like Wycombe of Middlesbrough. Distasteful.

The professional standing thing seems a bit excessive to me, especially as it was in a competition that has nothing to do with the EFL and in extreme circumstances. Perhaps the club can call in the FA on their behalf as a character witness, though I'm not sure anyone thinks DCFC's character is all that at the moment.

Looking forward to the 2019 accounts. Someone at the club is sure they left them here somewhere.

3 hours ago, Carnero said:

Whether we think it's harsh compared to Sheff Weds is pretty irrelevant when the club have accepted the penalty rather than appealing and sending it to a DC.

Indeed, I think this is part of the new charm offensive with the EFL mentioned by Pearce. 

So to recap we fail to pay one period of players wages on the day due so we get 3pts deduction suspended for a year 

Sheffield  Wednesday fail to pay 4 periods of wages due 6pts deduction with 3pts removed by Christmas and the other 3 points carried over until June 

so there we have it the new settled standard for the EFL - consistent isn’t it ???

meanwhile despite being unable to pay one months wage payment ( on time) the EFL are happy to take £100,000 of us whilst wanting to relegate us and take a further guaranteed £6 million of us on top.