EFL Verdict

DCFC90

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So maybe it's saying to other clubs - you don't hold the upper hand in player negotiations. We're not rushing into signings, we're not overpaying and we're not panicking!

Yeah maybe, or maybe a subliminal message to us fans “If we don’t get taken over, don’t expect any new additions to the squad” 

3 hours ago, Malty said:

With Derby’s recruitment the problem is we actually need 8 or 9 new players to achieve the 3 players good enough to fill those positions. The rest will be jozefsoons or Blackmans or anyas or Ibes (mark 2).

Out of recruiting in last 12m is actually was not that bad. The worst signings were not costly mistakes which is key.

HIT = Byrne, CKR, Gregory, Clarke, Marshall

OK = Joz, Roberts, Mengi, Edmundson.

MISS = Te Wierik, Baningme, Ibe 

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

27 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

Got to agree, and from the way Pearce put it, it sounded to me like potentially no or very limited incomings until a takeover is completed. His line about "talented youngsters" sounded like signposting the fact many of them are going to have to play this year especially if no takeover is completed and they are hoping to god that they all step up.  I hope I'm totally wrong and they have multiple talented free agent players lined up ready to go and even with out a take over many of them will be signed, I just don't see it.

Is that so unreasonable? Over a month to go until our first league game so plenty of time to strengthen. Even with just 4 loans and 2 free the squad looks completely different.

GK: Roos, Marshall
RB: Byrne, Ebosele/McDonald
CB: Free, JBrown/Solomon/Cashin
CB: Mengi, Davies
LB: Buchanan, Forsyth
CM: Knight, Bird
CM: Shinnie, Bielik, Loan
AM: Sibley, Watson
RW: Jozwiak, Free
LW: Lawrence, Loan
CF: Loan, Kazim, Stretton

Roos and Marshall have both proven to be enough for the Championship.
We don't need a 4th senior CB, as we should be recruiting players who aren't injury prone (we've made that mistake too many times). This means JBrown/Cashin/Solomon's game time is limited to just a few late subs, or emergency cover if Davies picks up an injury. This position can be re-evaluated in January.
Full backs are fine, as Byrne and Buchanan have so far shown themselves to be fairly robust, meaning Forsyth and Ebosele/McDonald will only be needed for the odd game here and there during periods of fixture congestion.
Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Sibley and A.N.Other is enough to cover the 3 CM positions. This can also be re-evaluated in January depending on the recovery of Bielik and progression of Watson (or other U23)
4 wingers is obviously enough in this league.
3 CFs is enough for 1 position. The signing would expect to be a regular, with Kazim and Stretton providing good backup.

We should not be making signings for the unfortunate event of an injury. We've done that in the past and it led to a bloated wage bill, full of players we couldn't get rid of.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is that so unreasonable? Over a month to go until our first league game so plenty of time to strengthen. Even with just 4 loans and 2 free the squad looks completely different.

GK: Roos, Marshall
RB: Byrne, Ebosele/McDonald
CB: Free, JBrown/Solomon/Cashin
CB: Mengi, Davies
LB: Buchanan, Forsyth
CM: Knight, Bird
CM: Shinnie, Bielik, Loan
AM: Sibley, Watson
RW: Jozwiak, Free
LW: Lawrence, Loan
CF: Loan, Kazim, Stretton

Roos and Marshall have both proven to be enough for the Championship.
We don't need a 4th senior CB, as we should be recruiting players who aren't injury prone (we've made that mistake too many times). This means JBrown/Cashin/Solomon's game time is limited to just a few late subs, or emergency cover if Davies picks up an injury. This position can be re-evaluated in January.
Full backs are fine, as Byrne and Buchanan have so far shown themselves to be fairly robust, meaning Forsyth and Ebosele/McDonald will only be needed for the odd game here and there during periods of fixture congestion.
Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Sibley and A.N.Other is enough to cover the 3 CM positions. This can also be re-evaluated in January depending on the recovery of Bielik and progression of Watson (or other U23)
4 wingers is obviously enough in this league.
3 CFs is enough for 1 position. The signing would expect to be a regular, with Kazim and Stretton providing good backup.

We should not be making signings for the unfortunate event of an injury. We've done that in the past and it led to a bloated wage bill, full of players we couldn't get rid of.

This makes sense, but I guess this is based on the assumption that nobody is sold. If someone puts a a semi-decent bid in for Sibley or someone like that they are gone, then we are left scratching around in the bargain bin for a replacement as well as trying to fill the gaps we already have.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This makes sense, but I guess this is based on the assumption that nobody is sold. If someone puts a a semi-decent bid in for Sibley or someone like that they are gone, then we are left scratching around in the bargain bin for a replacement as well as trying to fill the gaps we already have.

I'd assume if we did sell someone, it would be for enough to at least buy a replacement of equal ability.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Next season will be tough but I genuinely think this is the start point of something positive, and we need positivity around the club again if only to shut up some of the doomsters who post on here 

Are gloomsters still allowed? 

(asking for a friend) ?

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd assume if we did sell someone, it would be for enough to at least buy a replacement of equal ability.

I'd hope so, but then we are at the mercy of the EFL and what they are willing to sign off as we are still embargoed. I suspect they are going to be incredibly petty over it after they didn't get the result they wanted.

They wanted us relegated last season and failed, this is how they get us this season.

16 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I don't mean to be funny here bit why would players wait just to play under Rooney other than for his name?

He really did little to impress outsiders with his coaching ability last season either in terms of the more established players or the youngsters who mostly regressed under his supervision.

I think the biggest draw would be to have a stable big club once sgain with fantastic facilities with the ability to both pay them on time and have the ambition and funding to move the club onwards and upwards.

We have cleared a hurdle in not being relegated and we will hopefully be in new hands soon which should address the rest,thank God but i really don't see Rooney as being the big draw that some do.

Starting the season positively and seeing the team perform in a coherent fashion may increase his draw as a manager come January but we shall see.

Derby are a big draw for signings.

Rooney is the same.

Both rely on the new ownership stabilising the club.

Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Derby are a big draw for signings.

Rooney is the same.

Both rely on the new ownership stabilising the club.

Just my opinion.

Both were before last season.

With our current financial problems and our season's woes under Rooney I'd say that we are a risky looking option to a player as it stands.

A positive start to the season which puts Rooney's abilities in a better light and new ownership would turn that around for the January window.

New ownership is a must.

I do worry how much of a draw either DCFC or Rooney are after the last two seasons. We clearly were a draw on the academy side, but I'm sure how that's looking right now and for established signings, well, we're skint and paid wages late last season.

If it's a carry on on life support situation for the rest of the window we're not going to be high on anyone's list of "I'd really love to play for" so we're looking at free agents, need first team or "it's a chance to step up into the championship" players.

New owners come in and it's an entirly different situation.

In our current state I don't know why anyone would sign for us if they have any sort of alternative. We have a recent incident of unpaid wages, nobody knows who the owner is going to be, the EFL are determined to see us relegated one way or another.

Having Rooney show them around Pride Park isn't going to suddenly make all of that go away.

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

In our current state I don't know why anyone would sign for us if they have any sort of alternative. We have a recent incident of unpaid wages, nobody knows who the owner is going to be, the EFL are determined to see us relegated one way or another.

Having Rooney show them around Pride Park isn't going to suddenly make all of that go away.

Even the media draw of Rooney is likely to be far more based on the savage tear them down narrative than the "england's greatest and household name saves little Derby County" narrative.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I was going to ask the forum what people thought about this guys credibility. He says a lot of things that I’m liking - which is an obvious red flag!

When it comes to Derby that is the golden rule to live by, I've learnt. 

49 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Are gloomsters still allowed? 

(asking for a friend) ?

I’m presuming you are asking for a friend and not yourself because I don’t think you’re a gloomster at all. I actually find your posts quite amusing. I did say doomster!! Gloomster is ok.?

I have no issue with anyone being glass half empty as long as their opinions demonstrate some sort of logic or humour, but bloody hell there are some depressing posters on here who post either nothing positive ever, or post that impending doom is around the corner based off nothing but hysteria on Twitter or sensationalist media click bait, and sometimes it’s not even that they just love a drama. 

42 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think there will be other clubs that are just as bad if not worse.

We only didn’t pay wages due to the takeover.

Pearce also said that the players deferred wages due to covid was with the idea that once the stadium is full again we will repay it, but they’ve already repaid them early.

I bet a lot of Championship clubs have deferred wages and they’re still unpaid. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So maybe it's saying to other clubs - you don't hold the upper hand in player negotiations. We're not rushing into signings, we're not overpaying and we're not panicking!

Surely the sensible thing for him to say would have been “ We are desperate to sign players and we will pay whatever you want” not.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We're in an embargo at the moment so can't pay anything anyway ?

Wages? I presume we're also pre-negotiating for when we come out of embargo or if like last summer we're allowed signings?