Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 18/11/2021 at 09:02, BucksRam said:

That's a thought that crossed my mind a week or so ago.  He seems to like Kirchner, stressed the right buyer more than once yesterday, is massively committed to this club when he doesn't need to be and no-one would expect him to be, plus of course has got a net worth of some £150m I believe.  Surely has some free cash to play with. 

I also think it’s just possible Rooney could be an investor. But whether or not he is, Kirchner (‘Chris’ as Rooney oddly calls him) is clearly the one Rooney wants. 
It creates a really strange dynamic in the sale process. 
Rooney is successfully motivating the players. If today’s form continues, and if people really start to believe, he is going to appear indispensable by mid-December. Which surely means CK will take over. If we have a bad run into Xmas, the admins may sell to someone who has privately let them know that they will not keep him. If that’s what happens it really is a total reset and relegation seems certain. 
As for the words in bold in your post, if Rooney were to cut bait now then some would say, don’t blame you. But his record is not good, and it’s far from certain he’d get another job in the Ch  and no way does he get a job in the PL. So I think staying around is good career management on his part 

Edited by kevinhectoring

35 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I also think it’s just possible Rooney could be an investor. But whether or not he is, Kirchner (‘Chris’ as Rooney oddly calls him) is clearly the one Rooney wants. 
Rooney is successfully motivating the players. If today’s form continues, and if people really start to believe, he is going to appear indispensable by mid-December. Which surely means CK will take over. If we have a bad run into Xmas, the admins may sell to someone who has privately let them know that they will not keep him. If that’s what happens it really is a total reset and relegation seems certain. 
As for the words in bold in your post, if Rooney were to cut bait now then some would say, don’t blame you. But his record is not good, and it’s far from certain he’d get another job in the Ch  and no way does he get a job in the PL. So I think staying around is good career management on his part 

It's not possible for a manager to have an ownership interest, against the rules.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Well the sky ******** (ducking Kaveh Sohlekol again!!) talking up this story of Rooney going to be interim manager!! Media have got hold of this and will try and drive it now.

It's complete nonsense.

Rooney has said the right things "I'm committed to Derby and I'm here until I get told otherwise." Of course he would find it difficult to turn the United job down if it was offered to him. That's obvious.

But there's nothing in it at all, they're just trying to create headlines. There is no chance man United would offer him the job anyway after what's just happened with Ole. They won't go for another club legend who is inexperienced. I imagine they will now go for a proper elite level manager.

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree with everything you've said.  I guess I was more angling for financially he doesn't need to stick around.  

I do have a sneaky suspicion he and Kirchner have some sort of deal in mind.  To call him Chris is quite pally.  2+2=5 probably 

10 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

I guess I was more angling for financially he doesn't need to stick around.  

Certainly true. And he likes hanging out in sunny places. But more than money I’d think his management career is about pride and purpose, and he’s still a young man.  
He’s told the world that management is for him and he’s aware other great players have tried it and failed. 

If Man United came calling he would be gone, make no mistake about it, even as interim if he did well the permanent job would be his.

However I just don't see it, not after Ole. Carrick and Fletcher will continue until they can appoint a Poch, Zidane or ten Hag.

They have a lot of superstars in that dressing room, needs experience and respect in there to take control of the situation.

It's still one of the biggest jobs in the world, can't see many not being interested, with the squad they have as well to walk into.

1 hour ago, David said:

If Man United came calling he would be gone, make no mistake about it, even as interim if he did well the permanent job would be his.

However I just don't see it, not after Ole. Carrick and Fletcher will continue until they can appoint a Poch, Zidane or ten Hag.

They have a lot of superstars in that dressing room, needs experience and respect in there to take control of the situation.

It's still one of the biggest jobs in the world, can't see many not being interested, with the squad they have as well to walk into.

Yes, I think it's lucky for Derby that Man Utd have recently experienced the limitations of a former player appointment, unlike Chelsea with Lampard.

They'll both do it again when they get fed up with paying off a few other superstar managers, but in the meantime Rooney should stick with us. Feels like we're learning a lot from each other.

13 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

It's complete nonsense.

Rooney has said the right things "I'm committed to Derby and I'm here until I get told otherwise." Of course he would find it difficult to turn the United job down if it was offered to him. That's obvious.

But there's nothing in it at all, they're just trying to create headlines. There is no chance man United would offer him the job anyway after what's just happened with Ole. They won't go for another club legend who is inexperienced. I imagine they will now go for a proper elite level manager.

Yeah completely agree. This definitely isn’t another Lampard situation, partly because Rooney the coach still has a lot to prove even at our level, despite his leadership and motivational skills already coming to the fore and clearly evidenced.

My point was this is nothing but a sky sports driven story, basically to generate interest views and clicks. Interestingly they discussed it all morning on talk sport and in the bits I listened to Rooney’s name didn’t come up once. Not sure he’d be interested in an interim role and United have done the ex-player thing with Ole and it hasn’t worked. They need a big hitter, if they want Poch they need to just go and get him now and not mess around an interim

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yes, I think it's lucky for Derby that Man Utd have recently experienced the limitations of a former player appointment, unlike Chelsea with Lampard.

They'll both do it again when they get fed up with paying off a few other superstar managers, but in the meantime Rooney should stick with us. Feels like we're learning a lot from each other.

Interestingly I think United prompted Chelsea into moving for Lampard by appointing Ole. But Chelsea have been much more decisive in rectifying their error. 

Edited by BramcoteRam84

On 22/11/2021 at 00:00, Rammy03 said:

It's complete nonsense.

If only SM had said this, when Newcastle came calling a few years back. 

How different things could have turned out. Just one of many small incidents, which combined, have contributed to our downfall.