Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Better still is the article by Martin Samuel in this morning's edition of the same paper - he just nails the current ridiculous situation and the spurious claims of Middlesbrough and Wycombe.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Wanted him gone after last season and made no bones about it. Also said that if we kept him another season, I'd be 100% behind him and the team. Watching some of the passing movements in recent games I was reminded of some of the gorgeous one touch football we played under Mac1. That's pretty high praise for someone who appeared completely lost last season and has a threadbare squad made up of talismanic, but creaking old warriors and kids who probably don't shave yet. Honestly, I think the personal growth of Rooney, Rosenior and critically the team itself has been astounding, especially given the backdrop against which it's manifested. 

Will he go? My hunch would be that he would if asked, but I don't think he'll be flashing his knickers like Lampard did. He's worked hard, learned from his errors and is now starting to impress a style of play on the group. What's more, he seems genuinely happy at the moment as does Liam which did not always look likely.

Obviously I'd be gutted to see him go, but he's owes us nothing at all. I don't think there'd be any of the acrimony associated with Lampard's departure at all, indeed I think most Rams fans would sincerely wish him well. What is comforting right now is the knowledge that should Everton indeed come calling, we have a ready-made replacement in Curtis Davies.

+1

Perfectly describes exactly how I feel. Thanks.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Wanted him gone after last season and made no bones about it. Also said that if we kept him another season, I'd be 100% behind him and the team. Watching some of the passing movements in recent games I was reminded of some of the gorgeous one touch football we played under Mac1. That's pretty high praise for someone who appeared completely lost last season and has a threadbare squad made up of talismanic, but creaking old warriors and kids who probably don't shave yet. Honestly, I think the personal growth of Rooney, Rosenior and critically the team itself has been astounding, especially given the backdrop against which it's manifested. 

Will he go? My hunch would be that he would if asked, but I don't think he'll be flashing his knickers like Lampard did. He's worked hard, learned from his errors and is now starting to impress a style of play on the group. What's more, he seems genuinely happy at the moment as does Liam which did not always look likely.

Obviously I'd be gutted to see him go, but he's owes us nothing at all. I don't think there'd be any of the acrimony associated with Lampard's departure at all, indeed I think most Rams fans would sincerely wish him well. What is comforting right now is the knowledge that should Everton indeed come calling, we have a ready-made replacement in Curtis Davies.

Great post.

I don't think Liam would be part of Rooney's team and there is Drunken Ferguson who could take that role at Everton anyway.

However,  IF it happens then Davies could be a great option. He's got presence, a wealth of experience and speaks really well. Keep Liam in his current role, Davies steps up and see how he goes for a few games,  no need to panic. 

8 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Asked on Friday if there was any chance of signings this time, Rooney just laughed. ‘It would be nice to actually execute some of my plans,’ he said.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It strikes me that up to the end of last season, Rooney as a manager would have been mentioned in the same breath as John Newman or Colin Murphy.

Now he'll be in the pantheon with Clough, MacKay, Cox and Smith.

Very true…..those doubters ?

19 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It strikes me that up to the end of last season, Rooney as a manager would have been mentioned in the same breath as John Newman or Colin Murphy.

He could very well be.

My biggest fear that the mistake is made to think it's easy to find another 'good' manager. I'm not sure what his potential is, but I'd like us to be the Club to find out and hopefully benefit. #COYR

"He was then asked what kind of relationship he has with Morris. “He didn’t speak to me when I was first in this job and I don’t know why he’d speak to me now,” he said. “I’ve had no communication with Mel Morris. I actually don’t want to waste my breath on it.”

Rooney does, however, have tremendous empathy for the fans and the staff at the club. Remarkably, he said he has shared his phone number with fans groups so they have a direct line to him.

“Derby County is not just a football club,” he said. “It gives everyone in the city hope. It gives kids the right to dream of one day playing for their local team. It gives opportunities to some of those lads. Fans love seeing local lads playing for this club. There would be a lot of heartbroken people. It would be a massive loss to the city.

“It has been incredibly tough at times. Emotional too, seeing some staff members losing their jobs. The way I’m working, I’m trying to take on a lot of that burden. I know they look to me for guidance and I’m doing the best I can.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b94deebc-7ad5-11ec-9998-b2483743c25e?

22 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Steady on!

His football achievements are obviously not in the same league as Clough's at Derby, but as far as showing loyalty to the club and his players, and solidarity with the fans, he's already streets ahead of Clough. I've little doubt that Cloughie wouldn't have hung around this long under the same circumstances. 

27 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I was in the same position on WR last season.

My thoughts of him now however… match your last sentence ??

No matter what happens from here on in! ???

"Footballers are not always empathetic by nature. The world they know and come from is competitive, cruel and often unfair. It pays to be selfish. Rooney thrived at the top end of it on the back of rare talent and an insular streak. Now, as he prepares to lead his team in an East Midlands Derby game at Nottingham Forest today, he is relying on something softer and deeper.

He has already spoken to parents of his players about their mental health, asking them to look out for red flags. Local supporter groups, he revealed on Friday, have his phone number.

Rooney has paid for vital training ground equipment himself and has promised football staff made redundant over the last 12 months that, if brighter days do return, they will be the first ones back through the door.

In short, Rooney has vowed to carry the load of Derby’s troubles on his own shoulders and on the field at least there has been a revival."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10428891/Wayne-Rooney-opens-fight-career-desperate-Derby-County-face-oblivion.html

11 hours ago, Ramarena said:

He’s done well this season and deserves the credit.

Its strange that he’s doing better with a weaker squad, but maybe that’s down to the inexperience he had last season, which let’s be honest was utterly dire.

He made progress at the start of this season but there were still obvious improvements that could be made.

It wasn’t till Morrison was suspended that it finally seemed to click in his head what this division requires. 

Since then he’s really upped his game and has us playing much better than expected.

He may have stumbled across the solution, but he deserves credit for recognising it and sticking with the new approach instead of going backwards.

He’s made us solid, got us playing quicker and finally ina style that works in the Championship, we are now a dangerous team to play against.

Well done Wayne.

Agree about Morrison too….

35 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I was in the same position on WR last season.

My thoughts of him now however… match your last sentence ??

No matter what happens from here on in! ???

Circumstances meant we couldn’t afford to sack him at the end of last season. He has taken the opportunity with both hands. I actually like the way he conducts himself now, very good with the media, says the right things and has really grown in to the role. Would it work out if he went to Everton? Who knows? But if he did go I really hope that it works out for him ??

1 hour ago, Rammeister said:

Ok- I’ll try again: 

Derby County: The inside story of how the club reached brink of extinction

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b94deebc-7ad5-11ec-9998-b2483743c25e?shareToken=cbb0ae83213ee23687a20cd3b21d0b16

No mention of the Efl. Morris quantuma everyone else to blame except the Efl.

I don’t think that’s what Jim wheeler thinks but somehow the times seems to have spun that line again.