vs Brummies (H) - Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

20 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not arguing that we deserve to stay up, or that I’m certain well will, I just think the situation is being exaggerated in the sense that we are consigned to relegation.

The teams below us are poor. Nobody is in form. Their fans probably can’t see where their next win is coming from, just like we can’t.

If we go ahead and win our next two we will stay up comfortably, however unlikely that is to happen.

We would also need the sides below us to find something they’ve barely managed so far. The pressure on them will be greater than on us. We would be incredibly lucky to stay up but we are still somehow in prime position. Rotherham have the games in hand, but 4 points is a big ask for them, and I’d much rather be in our position than theirs.

Currently odds to go down are 13/8 Derby, 1/4 Rotherham & 1/16 Weds. That is quite a big difference to be considered definitely down no matter how poorly we are doing.

When you look at the table, of course we’re not relegated just yet, as things stand we’re still somehow outside the danger zone, despite our awful form! But it’s when you see what’s happening on the pitch that you lose all hope. There’s no fight out there, no belief that we can win a match of football. 

Sure if we manage to win the next two games we might stay up, but can anyone realistically see that happening? I can’t. Maybe with a manager change so we get a bounce, but otherwise no. Just hope Mel sacks Rooney tomorrow morning to at least give us a chance. But we’re still relying on other teams messing up, our fate isn’t in our own hands, and that isn’t a nice thought. I just feel like Rotherham and Wednesday have that bit more about them than us. Players a bit more willing to put their bodies on the line. I can’t see Rotherham not getting 4 points from their 4 remaining games, and I can’t see us getting any from our last two. 

On those odds, they’re pretty good! Might stick some money on us to soften the blow when it happens!

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Sure if we manage to win the next two games we might stay up, but can anyone realistically see that happening? I can’t. Maybe with a manager change so we get a bounce, but otherwise no. Just hope Mel sacks Rooney tomorrow morning to at least give us a chance. But we’re still relying on other teams messing up, our fate isn’t in our own hands, and that isn’t a nice thought. I just feel like Rotherham and Wednesday have that bit more about them than us. Players a bit more willing to put their bodies on the line. I can’t see Rotherham not getting 4 points from their 4 remaining games, and I can’t see us getting any from our last two. 

I think we're going to have to get something from our remaining games. Rotherham will get to 43. I have a horrible feeling that Wednesday will get something at Forest. 

Maybe even a point would do it for us. A win definitely would, but it's just looking so unlikely. This was the opportunity, a win would have seen us safe and relegated Sheff Wed, but we simply blew it.

Just now, Ruud Aralliss said:

We sure did.

Apologies for the last post, but I reached for my half full glass, knocked it off the table spilling red wine on the carpet, panicked, jumped up taking the table with me, showering the room with the remains of a chicken Madras and falling on the Cat who has hid behind the sofa.

Wow, it’s a funny old game innit?

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

When you look at the table, of course we’re not relegated just yet, as things stand we’re still somehow outside the danger zone, despite our awful form! But it’s when you see what’s happening on the pitch that you lose all hope. There’s no fight out there, no belief that we can win a match of football. 

On those odds, they’re pretty good! Might stick some money on us to soften the blow when it happens!

I think first half yesterday the fight was there from us but it takes more , you also need a manager that knows what he s doing , when they changed it up we were lost , we got over run , panicked and dropped deeper and deeper , we needed to re organise and we don’t have the tactical nouse on the sidelines to do it??‍♂️,

only Rotherham and Wednesday can keep us up we don’t have what’s needed to keep ourselves up

I think we should separate Romney’s perceived deficiencies as a manager from his character. I don’t think any of us know him well enough to know what type of person he is. There’s a danger we accept what we read in the papers on that score. 

Rooney will be using the experience he has gained working under different managers to try to win football matches.

I am more angry with our recruitment than Rooney’s management. This group of players simply isn’t good enough. It lacks nous. It lacks strong personalities on the pitch.

Rooney will not be used to that. I think that’s what he’s struggling with most.

5 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I think we're going to have to get something from our remaining games. Rotherham will get to 43. I have a horrible feeling that Wednesday will get something at Forest. 

Maybe even a point would do it for us. A win definitely would, but it's just looking so unlikely. This was the opportunity, a win would have seen us safe and relegated Sheff Wed, but we simply blew it.

Forest are at Wednesday ?

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I think we should separate Romney’s perceived deficiencies as a manager from his character. I don’t think any of us know him well enough to know what type of person he is.

Quite, though why you're bringing a US Senator in to the conversation I do not know. Stick to football man!

8 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I was thinking of their goals against Derby. Joachim always seemed to score and this Birmingham lad seems to love scoring against us. 

Throw David Speedie in as well and we’d all need therapy. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think we should separate Romney’s perceived deficiencies as a manager from his character. I don’t think any of us know him well enough to know what type of person he is. There’s a danger we accept what we read in the papers on that score. 

Rooney will be using the experience he has gained working under different managers to try to win football matches.

I am more angry with our recruitment than Rooney’s management. This group of players simply isn’t good enough. It lacks nous. It lacks strong personalities on the pitch.

Rooney will not be used to that. I think that’s what he’s struggling with most.

Maybe, but both goals yesterday reeked of poor set up as a side. We all knew, everyone on this board, who was the danger man in the Birmingham side yet on three occassions in the last ten minutes he was able to run through our defence completely unmarked. Even after the first goal someone should have got word to Matt Clarke, or Edmundson, and just said to them "as soon as he gets to the penalty area you are on him like glue". And the free throws deep in our half - where's the pressure to make it difficult for them? I really don't want to jump on the 'Rooney out' train but these are basic, basic, basic things that fall squarely at the coaching team for not addressing.

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Maybe, but both goals yesterday reeked of poor set up as a side. We all knew, everyone on this board, who was the danger man in the Birmingham side yet on three occassions in the last ten minutes he was able to run through our defence completely unmarked. Even after the first goal someone should have got word to Matt Clarke, or Edmundson, and just said to them "as soon as he gets to the penalty area you are on him like glue". And the free throws deep in our half - where's the pressure to make it difficult for them? I really don't want to jump on the 'Rooney out' train but these are basic, basic, basic things that fall squarely at the coaching team for not addressing.

I still think this is the players' responsibility. 

When I played we knew who the danger men were. We sorted it out by talking. 

I cannot believe that time after time our centre halves fail to mark the centre forward. 

We end up with Byrne, Buchanan or Knight marking the opposition's main danger man. That reeks of a lack of responsibility bordering on cowardice from the central defenders. 

12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

how do you know they weren't told to mark him tightly? Would a different set up have prevented him being allowed to run through the defence unmarked?

I don't want to jump on the Rooney in bandwagon (if there still is one) but sometimes we don't know if it's poor coaching or poor execution. Probably a combination of both. I can't imagine the nine outfield players for the first goal and ten (yes, nine and ten) for the second in the penalty area were told to simply ignore their danger man.

Edited by Tamworthram

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

how do you know they weren't told to mark him tightly? Would a different set up have prevented him being allowed to run through the defence unmarked?

I don't want to jump on the Rooney in bandwagon (if there still is one) but sometimes we don't know if it's poor coaching or poor execution. Probably a combination of both. I can't imagine the nine outfield players for the first goal and ten (yes, nine and ten) for the second in the penalty area were told to simply ignore their danger man.

From what I can gather under Rooney and I can’t for the life of me remember if it was part of cocus strat but we go zonal in the box 

if that’s genuinely the case and it’s clearly not working then Rooney must carry the can for some of our ineptness at defending set pieces ... as u say the players do for not being able to execute it 

but to allow Darius “I’m a big ducker” two free headers in our box tells u it ain’t working 

what’s actually wrong with man to man 

put Clarke on him I wager he doesn’t score two free headers 

Rooney probably carry’s the bulk on this one for me 

Edited by NottsRam77

31 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

From what I can gather under Rooney and I can’t for the life of me remember if it was part of cocus strat but we go zonal in the box 

if that’s genuinely the case and it’s clearly not working then Rooney must carry the can for some of our ineptness at defending set pieces ... as u say the players do for not being able to execute it 

but to allow Darius “I’m a big ducker” two free headers in our box tells u it ain’t working 

what’s actually wrong with man to man 

put Clarke on him I wager he doesn’t score two free headers 

Rooney probably carry’s the bulk on this one for me 

You may well be right but there didn’t seem to be a lot of zonal defending by the 10 outfield players for the second goal. There were five defenders in or around the six yard box but they were all in a cluster in the centre. 

1EF2DA7E-6F1C-4D58-8ECA-1F60674DC357.png

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Agree with all of that. There’s no way we stay up with the current points we’re on, not when Rotherham have two games in hand and we still have to play Wednesday. Like you say, we had the chance to put ourselves in a really strong position yesterday, but we didn’t have the bottle to see it through. Pathetic really. Now we need to do something special in these final two games. Can you see this side showing the fight required? I can’t.

4 hours ago, Archied said:

I think first half yesterday the fight was there from us but it takes more , you also need a manager that knows what he s doing , when they changed it up we were lost , we got over run , panicked and dropped deeper and deeper , we needed to re organise and we don’t have the tactical nouse on the sidelines to do it??‍♂️,

only Rotherham and Wednesday can keep us up we don’t have what’s needed to keep ourselves up

Indeed, I was actually quite pleased with how things were going at half time. We had the lead and looked pretty comfortable and organised, even if it wasn’t pretty. But that was before the almost inevitable second half collapse. Heads went as soon as Wednesday took control of the game, and there was only one outcome from that point onward. This team don’t have the mental strength to compete when the going gets tough, we’ve seen that through the lack of points we’ve picked up from losing positions this season. As you say, having a piss poor manager doesn’t help things either, with his only tactical knowledge coming from the oppositions set up, and his delayed reaction to any changes they make. 

If we stay up, it’s pure luck. This club really don’t deserve it.