Relegation watch

Spanish

I've said for probably the last 2 months if it comes down to the final day then I can't see us staying up. I've got no faith in this team coming together and getting the job done and they've not shown any evidence they can do it. If we're looking at recent form then we can't be considered the favourites. At this point it'd probably be Wednesday for my money as Cardiff won't role over under Mick and they do look ever so poor Rotherham.  Maybe if we mark Bannan out the game we'll be alright but i can foresee one of our lads switching off as he roams free and puts one in the bottom corner.  

We have got a massive issue that I think many have overlooked. To be sure of survival we need Rotherham and Weds to lose/draw. I can see Rotherham losing/drawing but I can’t see Weds losing/drawing, not because they are good, purely because they’re playing us ??

We’ve relied on others for far too long. Go for the win on Saturday and take it out of everyone else hands. 

For anyone saying we have history at bottling it on the last day, reading was 6 years ago, since then we have won the last game to make the playoffs twice!!! 

All of that stuff is irrelevant. Form is irrelevant. It’s all down to what happens on that day and it’s in our hands. If we can’t do the job at the 7th time of asking then we I’ll get what we deserve and go down.

28 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

We have got a massive issue that I think many have overlooked. To be sure of survival we need Rotherham and Weds to lose/draw. I can see Rotherham losing/drawing but I can’t see Weds losing/drawing, not because they are good, purely because they’re playing us ??

We’ve relied on others for far too long. Go for the win on Saturday and take it out of everyone else hands. 

I think you may be have overlooked checking the table. Sheff Weds have to beat us to finish above us. On the other hand, if we draw and Rotherham win then Rotherham go above us on goal difference and we are down.

52 minutes ago, Robert Earnshaws Workrate said:

Sky are gagging for a tense and dramatic final day, each game full of twists and turns.

Personally I'm all set for Derby and Cardiff to be 2-0 up within the first 30 minutes.

Doubt Sky are 'gagging' for anything really. One of only two meaningful games left in the division so was always likely to be selected.

As for being 'all set for Derby to be 2-0 up within the first 30 minutes', were you also 'all set' for us to win 1 in our last 15 or to lose our last 7 straight too, because if not, I'm thinking your crystal ball might need re-calibrating. Hope you're right mind! 

COYR

14 hours ago, Spanish said:

No way Ken, much as though I would like to own the club my assets are not quite sufficient.  And my wife would kill me

You never know, the price may come down. And, deep down, your señorita might be happier than you expect to know that you are fulfilling your passion! ?

And as far as I can tell, the ire that will befall you from fans, will not be directed to your family!

So, my dear Spanish benefactor, please do try to persuade your wealthy asset-contributing compadres, and loving family, of the merits of Derby!

To be fair and looking at it logically, form does not come into it. Rotherham need to win, Wednesday need to win, the Rams need a draw or maybe a win. Cardiff v Rotherham and Derby v Wednesday is basically 2 individual cup finals and one team will come away with the winning ticket. For obvious reasons Derby are at a slight advantage, but that could be dangerous if they think that way.

Only football could throw up a moral conundrum like this:-

Rams need only to draw against Wendy to stay up (or possibly win shouls Rotherham pull off an unlikely victory).

BUT

If the EFL had not exercised a 6 points deduction on Wendy they would now be on 46 points and would be safe unless the Rams won by two clear goals on Saturday!

No wonder my brain hurts!image.png.f2f4f5680277b9a53fabadd814df8062.png

Edited by Brammie Steve

7 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Yes we've been relying on others and received numerous lifelines recently, yet still no response from the Derby players. I really don't think we are capable of beating any team in the championship, including Sheff Wed. Unfortunately, L1 seems inevitable. Hope I am wrong...

Edited by europia

35 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

To be fair and looking at it logically, form does not come into it. Rotherham need to win, Wednesday need to win, the Rams need a draw or maybe a win. Cardiff v Rotherham and Derby v Wednesday is basically 2 individual cup finals and one team will come away with the winning ticket. For obvious reasons Derby are at a slight advantage, but that could be dangerous if they think that way.

Absolutely!

And it is not unlikely, that it is something along these lines that has contributed to our run of defeats - an assumption that we had the advantage of only needing two or three points for the past few weeks.

Superstition is endemic among sport too. And, I imagine that any element of this - that we are "unlucky", or "cannot win" - could well affect us more than the other two teams - who may feel like underdogs, and aiming for a Great Escape.

Look at how many forum members have expressed our losing on Saturday as being a fait accompli. "We're going to lose!" "No chance!" "I've been realising it for weeks!"

I think that it's natural and human to think in this way. And within the team, they say, "They score every time that we lose concentration."

Maybe some players think, "It's inevitable. We are bound to lose concentration at some point, and when we do, they will score. It's hopeless. There's nothing we can do ." They cannot magically improve their concentration levels!

I questioned whether it was absolutely better, that on Saturday, we cheer on the players when they arrive - wondering if some players might react better to a good dose of booing!

But, maybe, the most vital thing is that they have maximum self-belief! That they are relaxed. Best able to focus on the game. And react, and play better than the opponents.

In preparation for the game, they cannot learn new tactics that they haven't already learned this season and throughout their careers. They cannot learn new concentration techniques.

They can just be in the best possible state to do what they can already do, and to do it to the best of their ability.

Actually, come to think of it, that might mean them thinking that they do have an advantage over Sheffield and Rotherham. Maybe they need to think that they are better - believe that they will win - remove doubts - and be as focussed and passionate as possible!

For example, absolutely not worry if we a go a goal or two down. But be confident that we will score three in reply!

(What a load of psycho-babble claptrap. I've gone from 'absolutely' agreeing with you, to suggesting that you might not be right, and that it may help for them to think that they had an advantage! I do know what you mean, though!) 

I hope that the team has far better quality people than me helping them to prepare for the game!

38 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Only football could throw up a moral conundrum like this:-

Rams need only to draw against Wendy to stay up (or possibly win shouls Rotherham pull off an unlikely victory).

BUT

If the EFL had not exercised a 6 points deduction on Wendy they would now be on 46 points and would be safe unless the Rams won by two clear goals on Saturday!

No wonder my brain hurts!image.png.f2f4f5680277b9a53fabadd814df8062.png

Just a win would put us above them on goal diff if they had no points deducted. We are on -22 they are on -21, 1-0 win for us and thats switches round.

You could also look at it that if the EFL stuck to their original punishment of 12 points Sheff W would be gone already

15 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes we've been relying on others and received numerous lifelines recently, yet still no response from the Derby players. I really don't think we are capable of beating any team in the championship, including Sheff Wed. Unfortunately, L1 seems inevitable. Hope I am wrong...

Oops. See my post above - written before I read what you wrote! But, it was perfect timing in relation to my point about it being absolutely human to think that there is no hope.

It may be the most sensible thing to do - to assume that we'll get relegated! You will be delighted to be proved wrong - but if the worst happens - you will have prepared yourself.

As long as the players aren't thinking like that! It's okay for fans!

The good news is that although all three contending teams are at the bottom of the league for a reason - all of the teams have won games this season - and each team has a chance of winning on Saturday.

And, statistically, based upon home and away form, and each team's opponents, on average, we actually have the best chance of success. There bookmakers seem to think so too!

But, in human terms, many of us cannot believe it! It maybe we are trying to protect ourselves! (Psycho babble again.)

Think of a roulette wheel! After six red outcomes in a row - even a great mathematician (possibly) will have a sense of belief that it's time for the roulette ball to land on black.

But, the chance of the next roll being either red or black remains equal.

Just as is the case on Saturday - the three teams are all bottom of the league, all have lost more games than they have won - and all three have a form that would predict a loss - and it is human to assume that we will lose - but all three have a real chance of winning - and we have the best chance.

Unfortunately, we may get relegated. The outcome of single matches can often come down to a moment of luck.

PS. I hope that you are wrong too!

I hope that I have either made you feel a little more hopeful - or at least, if you feel bad about predicting relegation, that you don't beat yourself up about it!

PPS. And fans assuming that we may lose may not be such a bad thing to do! These fans won't mind if they're wrong - and they have prepared themselves to cope better if it happens.