Relegation watch

Spanish

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Seriously - our performances are on a par with Sheffield Wednesday the 6 Pts deduction only changes their place in the league table 

You are talking as if we've been performing at the same level all season. Cocu had us way below our level you may as well just write off the first half of the season. It was completely unacceptable. Rooney is getting these players performing properly

6 hours ago, Rampage said:

Wendies have scored as many points as us but have had six deducted. Bournemouth beat Rotherham by a single goal but did not dominate them. A few teams around us are on the slide. Wayne has got cover for every position and for different formations. I think that the signings are shrewd and some will stay with us. The tactics that Wayne uses will garner a good haul of points.

If you gave Wednesday their 6 pts back, they would still be below us on goal diff. But lets look at the bigger picture. Jourdan and a few others on the forum are still worried, but they must agree on one thing, Wycombe are sunk. That leaves 2 places to avoid, 22nd and 23rd spot. Lets look at the teams currently below us. Wycombe; Only 4 wins so far 18 defeats and shipped in 51 goals (I predict relegated). Birmingham; Only 6 wins, lost 14 and played one game more than us (on current form could be relegated). Sheff Weds; agree simular record to us so far (most likely will stay up). Rotherham; Yes they have one game in hand over us, but if they won it they would still be 2 pts behind us and they have currently lost 15 times.(could go down). Coventry; Also played a game more than us and still 3pts behind and shipped in 42 goals.(could go down). Huddersfield; Played a game more than us even though they are only 1 point behind, they have shipped in 44 goals having lost 15 games. (could go down). Forest; another team thats played one game more than us, only won 8 matches, but with Chris Hughton in charge they should have enough to stay up.

Teams above could continue to have indifferent form and might be pulled into the scrap at the bottom (Bristol, Luton and Preston). I do agree that the Huddersfield and Forest game are very important and the worse case scenario is we lose them both. But all those teams below us would have to gain ground to put us back in the bottom 3. They (including us) all have matches to play against teams around them so points will be dropped. I  also look at how these teams in trouble have faired against the current top 12 teams. Huddersfield faired the best by winning 5, followed by Derby with 4, Then Birmingham, Wednesday, Coventry and Forest with 3. Rotherham were the stand out team with only one victory against a top 12 team and that was M'boro that they beat.

Looking ahead to tomorrow where all the teams below us will look at this as a good opportunity to drag us right back in. If we can hope for another set of "perfect" results, then it would probably be...

Brentford to beat Cov

Swansea to beat Huddersfield

Norwich to beat Rotherham

Blackburn to beat Forest

Weds and Birmingham to draw

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Looking ahead to tomorrow where all the teams below us will look at this as a good opportunity to drag us right back in. If we can hope for another set of "perfect" results, then it would probably be...

Brentford to beat Cov

Blackburn to beat Forest

The 1st four look completely believable. 

Last one I'd think Wednesday more likely to win. 

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The 1st four look completely believable. 

Last one I'd think Wednesday more likely to win. 

Yeah, the fixtures this week seem to have put the vast majority of teams below us against teams that should beat them. I think Forest might beat Blackburn, however the downside is sides might consider their games as "free hits" much like ours was tonight. They're not expected to get anything, but it's going to be a huge boost to the likes of Coventry or Rotherham if they get a win tomorrow.

Huge opportunity for Sheff Wed or Birmingham though. SWFC are still in a slightly false position with their points deduction. I'd be happy if we're still at least 4 points above 22nd by the end of tomorrow.

I've seen at least 2 posters use the phrase free hit referencing tonight's game, we are still scrapping for every point we can accumulate so is a very blasé and casual throwaway comment especially given that we yield more points from teams in the top half of the table then the bottom. 

Thought I'd want a Brum- Wedneday draw tomorrow .  That keeps them both a fair bit below.  Looking at the table though a Wednesday win means Birmingham are 6 points below us with a -6 goal swing having played a game more. Means third from bottom will be closer  but short term pain long term gain.  Conundrum ???

55 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've seen at least 2 posters use the phrase free hit referencing tonight's game, we are still scrapping for every point we can accumulate so is a very blasé and casual throwaway comment especially given that we yield more points from teams in the top half of the table then the bottom. 

I’d assume people have probably seen it as a free hit as we managed 3 points against Wycombe and the next 2 are definite ‘must take something from the game’.

If we had Swansea and Norwich after Watford I’d imagine people would see it differently. 

59 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've seen at least 2 posters use the phrase free hit referencing tonight's game

Morons. Some people are happy to suppeta... suppelta... suppeltate... yeah that's it suppletate in the Championship indefinitely. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

blasé

Hang on what's going off here? I'm trying to keep up Tyler but now you're throwing in foreign muck. What's that comma thing ăbout?

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

I’d assume people have probably seen it as a free hit as we managed 3 points against Wycombe and the next 2 are definite ‘must take something from the game’.

If we had Swansea and Norwich after Watford I’d imagine people would see it differently. 

My point being that if we did take something from this game then the pressure to get something out of the next 2 then diminishes somewhat. And also makes the assumption that we will do that which isn't a gimme either. 

We're in the business of accumulating points just like all the other teams in our position so every game should be seen as an opportunity to do exactly that.

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

My point being that if we did take something from this game then the pressure to get something out of the next 2 then diminishes somewhat. And also makes the assumption that we will do that which isn't a gimme either. 

We're in the business of accumulating points just like all the other teams in our position so every game should be seen as an opportunity to do exactly that.

Agree. And we’ve done an extremely good job of that since Rooney has taken charge, as demonstrated by the form table, and being 6 points clear of the bottom 3 off the back of one of the worst starts to the season ever in the championship.

Work still to do, we’re not out of it but absolutely nothing to worry about. There is no way this team is going down.

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thought I'd want a Brum- Wedneday draw tomorrow .  That keeps them both a fair bit below.  Looking at the table though a Wednesday win means Birmingham are 6 points below us with a -6 goal swing having played a game more. Means third from bottom will be closer  but short term pain long term gain.  Conundrum ???

I’d prefer a draw. One point each isn’t really enough. Don’t want either of them to get a win and start to build momentum or confidence

Edited by StrawHillRam

10 hours ago, Kernow said:

Brentford to beat Cov

Blackburn to beat Forest

I think that set of results would be the perfect storm.

Our next 2 games are really important. Must not lose them.

Defeats or one draw and we are back in the mix.  
Win both our win and draw and we can look upwards

Two draws and we need to keep this thread going

11 hours ago, Beetroot said:

Morons. Some people are happy to suppeta... suppelta... suppeltate... yeah that's it suppletate in the Championship indefinitely. 

Hang on what's going off here? I'm trying to keep up Tyler but now you're throwing in foreign muck. What's that comma thing ăbout?

It's not a "comma thing" it's a bit of dust, Just wipe your screen ?

11 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

A free hit isn’t the same as throwing the match though. It was a free hit, wee weren’t expected to get anything from a game away at Watford. Anything we got from that game would be a bonus. But we didn’t set out to loose, or throw the game, we went there to win. But the fact that we didn’t isn’t really a big deal. A good performance in the second half is pleasing, and we take that into the two must win matches next.