Barnsley v Derby, Match Day Thread

ram59

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off topic I note with interest that this matchday thread is only 8 pages long about an hour from kick off....does this insinuate that there is a resignation about this match in particular or a general lack of enthusiasm about this season now the longer it goes on?

Or people just cba to post anymore in general?

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

They play about 6 players centrally so to expect us to play around their press is asking a lot in our current situation. Game plan will be to keep the ball wide and get it into the box to CKR & Gregory

I honestly believe we have the players to do it if we picked the right players in the right system. The issue is with getting out wide will be trying to do that with one winger and no attacking full backs..... also I strongly suspect "just putting the ball in the box" is something that they won't have much difficulty dealing. If we'd have played genuine attacking wide players or genuine wing backs, I might have said fair enough but this is just so unbelieavabley negative.

To be honest our plan is hope that Mengi stays switched on for 90 minutes and hope to cling to a point. And I think it will backfire

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Slightly off topic I note with interest that this matchday thread is only 8 pages long about an hour from kick off....does this insinuate that there is a resignation about this match in particular or a general lack of enthusiasm about this season now the longer it goes on?

Everyone is in the bathroom with a carrot and parsnip...

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

why the heck are we setting up to play so direct?

Barnsley are the best team in the league at it. Does Rooney really think we are going to beat them at their own game?

I don't he is trying to beat them. More hope not to get beat.

Once again I’ve got absolutely no idea what’s going on with that team, doesn’t seem to be any obvious formation that suits that group of players. 

Bad news that Marshall is still out, I remain unconvinced by Roos’ decision making. Shame for Byrne to have picked up an injury as well, though I’m not convinced I’d have started him anyway after that ludicrous mistake the other day. Still not convinced by Wisdom either with his vulnerability to anything played in the air, Shinnie and Knight are lucky to keep their places as well for me - their passing and ball retention has been so poor in recent games.

Good to see Wilson make the bench though, interesting to see how he’s developed.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I was actually weirdly looking forward to this game up to an hour a go. I thought we'd learn the lessons from recent weeks and name something like a positive looking team. 

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Thing is you can take the novel approach of deciding to play more of your techinical footballers to beat their press and pass around them. After all they aren't going to try to play through you so you don't need as much cover in the midfield and if you can keep the ball from them you can run them ragged by the hour mark.

Yep we need a blend of the technical players and players with physical presence. In the past I've always felt we've gone to far towards the former for the division. But at the moment I fear we are pushing too far towards the latter. 

I'll hold judgement on this line up.........that said I'm not sure what I make of it anyways!

Well that's made my mind up... I'll save myself £10 and listen to it on RD.

Absolutely zero creativity in that lineup whatsoever. Seems like our game plan is to just lump it up to the big men up front... it's anyone's guess who's playing where behind that though (other than Roos being in goal of course!). Best I'm hoping for is 0-0. I'd love to be proved wrong, but can't see it.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

kick off is in 7 mins

Archived