Barnsley v Derby, Match Day Thread

ram59

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Objective this season is to be in the championship next season - we have no one who looks like they will score regularly so we need to get points any which way we can - next season will be a different story again 

It's flawed thinking though on both accounts. Playing for a point rarely goes well and you are far better off trying to win the game in most circumstances, especially when you aren't even that solid. Between Mengi and the defence being chopped and changed so much it's hard to imagine we are going to be water tight. 

Plus perhaps if we aren't scoring goals we could name a line up with more technical ability and/or more attack minded players. At the minute we have two modes: pretty defensive or just a pile of defenders. And like I said before we aren't that great at keeping the ball out of the net.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If the Rams can't turn up for a game like tonight's they deserve to be struggling against relegation!"

Quote from Brammie Steve, well known authority on football predictions............not!

We're lacking that defensive confidence that comes from having David Marshall as our last line of defence. 

19 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What has Watson got to do to get a start? Maybe he will come on for the third time and be our best player and then start on Saturday ?

I think with them playing it direct and pressing so much its not really a game suited to watson, the ball will just fly over his head for most of the game. Hopefully start on Sat where you would expect us to have more of the ball.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But how does putting out a poo team help achieve that? I am getting a similar vibe as when I saw the Cardiff team selection...

Maybe it’s a poo team for tonight’s game or it’s a great team who knows yet but we are playing one of the form teams tonight 

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think with them playing it direct and pressing so much its not really a game suited to watson, the ball will just fly over his head for most of the game. Hopefully start on Sat where you would expect us to have more of the ball.

Thing is you can take the novel approach of deciding to play more of your techinical footballers to beat their press and pass around them. After all they aren't going to try to play through you so you don't need as much cover in the midfield and if you can keep the ball from them you can run them ragged by the hour mark.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Thing is you can take the novel approach of deciding to play more of your techinical footballers to beat their press and pass around them. After all they aren't going to try to play through you so you don't need as much cover in the midfield and if you can keep the ball from them you can run them ragged by the hour mark.

They play about 6 players centrally so to expect us to play around their press is asking a lot in our current situation. Game plan will be to keep the ball wide and get it into the box to CKR & Gregory

Archived