Barnsley v Derby, Match Day Thread

ram59

I enjoyed the game, it was a throwback, like watching two boxers going for it. Its football Jim but not as we know it as McCoy would say. As much as I enjoyed it I would not like to watch that every week. 

Barnsley play a route one style that's effective for them, but struggled to play against the same style. with some really quick wide men we could have exploited their high line.  So the secret is - beat their press by passing the ball wide over their defence and get some speed merchants to do them for pace.

Apart from the Shinniesta shot- who thought that was in, I did, the one on one that Gregory should have scored and the shot that Roos saved nothing to report really. I am booked in to the Chiropractor for 10.30 to sort my neck out, killing me that's the problem with watching ping pong   

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

You've obviously forgotten Graham Taylor's reign from 1990 to 1994 which was exactly predicated on Hughes' philosophy. And whilst Robson, Venables etc tried to play better football, they were hampered by players with poorer technique than foreign players on account of poor youth coaching focused solely on 'getting the ball up to the big lad'...again courtesy of Hughes' coaching legacy.

Going back to Barnsley, there is no shame in being effective & direct...Stoke did it very well under Pulis in the Prem but what we saw last night was an inept version of that. Aimless hoofs to no-one in particular, misplaced passes, poor technique & delivery. Ive then questioned how on earth they won 7 straight based on last night's evidence. Not a style observation as you claim (right or wrong way) but a lack of quality observation.

Revie, Greenwood, Robson, Hoddle, Venables, with Taylor the exception rather proving the rule, sandwiched between lots of managers with football-playing philosophies, so Taylor was very much the exception and actually would've had some success but for injuries to key players (Gascoigne, Shearer) and diabolical refereeing (Ref! what is occurring here?!). 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I’d like to point out that Mengi was written off as a duff purchase after two below par performances, one of which was not in his natural position.

Joining a new club is hard, especially when confidence may not be high. 

I’ve read lots of criticism of Lee Gregory. Yes he has missed chances, but he puts himself in the right positions to score like no other in the squad. He is an experienced striker and will score goals for us. Once he gets a couple under his belt we will be glad Wayne brought him in.

Just watched the highlights, and was expecting to see an absolute shocker of a miss by Gregory. Yes perhaps he should have scored, and of course his first touch could have been a lot better, but pitch and wind conditions were far from ideal. The keeper was also on his toes. Those are no easier than 50/50 chances in my book, unless you have Kane or Lewandowski quality.  Sublime pass from CKR however.

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Am I the only one who thought Gregory was good ??yes he missed to big chance but every time the ball went to him it’s stuck and he chased and harassed the back line. If he scored people would have saiid he was motm

If you recall the feedback from Stoke fans on their forum when he came over to us it is was Gregory is ok around the box but dismal when it comes to taking chances inside the box. Which is exactly what we saw last night.

The moaning of Mengi in the last two games was justified, but, bare in mind he was played out of position. He looked a natural when playing in his normal Centre Back role last night, against a very physical Barnsley team. 

Also, shout out to George Edmundson. Really liked his style since he came to the club, would love Gerrard to do us a favour and let us get him. (Finances of course being a major factor) 

24 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Just watched the highlights, and was expecting to see an absolute shocker of a miss by Gregory. Yes perhaps he should have scored, and of course his first touch could have been a lot better, but pitch and wind conditions were far from ideal. The keeper was also on his toes. Those are no easier than 50/50 chances in my book, unless you have Kane or Lewandowski quality.  Sublime pass from CKR however.

Spot on, A heavy touch and he's lost control, The Roos save altho good the Barnsley player should have scored, So each one cancels the other out.

Another point to the collection ?

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Am I the only one who thought Gregory was good ??yes he missed to big chance but every time the ball went to him it’s stuck and he chased and harassed the back line. If he scored people would have said he was motm

you could say that for anyone?

54 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It's not exactly a sitter but your striker has to be taking chances of that quality really.

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

The majority who considered that Mengi played well are correct. The ‘string’ of mistakes just didn’t exist. I think someone is being ‘picky’ for whatever reason. 

I mean that's not true really. Several times first half he either got caught ball watching or let players run off him without tracking them, he went and challenged for a ball Edmundson was clearly going to win when he no need to causing it to fall loose, he played a dodgy square pass straight at Barnsley player (very similar to Byrne's pass) that fortunately ricocheted away and he was fortunate to not concede a penalty.

I will admit though I seem to be in the minority about his performance last night and I could be wrong about it, perhaps I was more accutely aware of where he made errors after recent weeks and was looking out for it. But I do still think he made a fair few mistakes that could have cost goals on another day.

5 hours ago, i-Ram said:

He has missed 3 gilt-edged chances in 3 games at crucial times though. 

Archived