The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

10 hours ago, maxjam said:

If you mix with largely under 65yo people (certainly those far younger than 65) you're probably not seeing much impact of the pandemic other than what you're getting from the media - that has certainly been my experience. 

I don't deny whats been happening and I've (mostly) followed the guidelines but as far as can tell the pandemic has been happening elsewhere

This in Spades.

I stopped counting at 8 deaths of people I knew or had worked with in the past. It got very depressing and I eventually deleted my old LinkedIn and other work-related networking accounts (it's not as if I was going to be using them to get a job anyway). None of those who died were younger than me and most were considerably older, but it was difficult to not think that the net was closing in.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry to be honest. So much for all the politicising the virus BS that was so prevalent on these threads. The stream of near hysterical denunciations looks even more silly now than it did at the time.

As for Cummins, has he really told us anything we didn't know already, or has he simply confirmed that much, if not all of what was being suggested by some on here, was in fact absolutely true?

Led by donkeys indeed ?

52 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree. I’m sure plenty of what he has said is true and those in power have a lot to answer for but I don’t remember him being very vocal or critical of the approach when he was part of the inner circle.

That was my thought in a nutshell. Where was his principles when he was of the opinion Johnson wasn’t fit to hold office ? Too busy milking the gravy train that’s where. He just comes across as vindictive as well as bitter to me so while I’ve no doubt shocking mistakes were made I don’t give yesterday’s bile much credence because as the number one advisor to Johnson he’s got to have played a part in the decisions made surely so by definition he’s as culpable. Buckpassing twot. 

48 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

That was my thought in a nutshell. Where was his principles when he was of the opinion Johnson wasn’t fit to hold office ? Too busy milking the gravy train that’s where. He just comes across as vindictive as well as bitter to me so while I’ve no doubt shocking mistakes were made I don’t give yesterday’s bile much credence because as the number one advisor to Johnson he’s got to have played a part in the decisions made surely so by definition he’s as culpable. Buckpassing twot. 

Ah, but we were expressly told that he was not the de facto leader of the government, nor was he shaping SAGE and COBRA directives in relation to Covid, as our erstwhile leader was fulfilling that role. Odd given he can only pass the buck if the buck was his to pass in the fist place. Fully agree that he's as culpable but having said that, he's been fired whereas the other fella is sat keeping schtum on the subject in number 10 whilst warbling sweet nothings about the NHS. He must be too busy to respond I suppose... ?‍♀️

28 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The press don't see the irony in spending months telling us that Cummings was a lying toad and now quoting every comment he makes as gospel.....

Which bits, if any, do you think he's lying about? For all that he's a grotesque, scheming little toad, he's a very intelligent man and I'd venture that there's documentation that will back up his claims. He seems to infer there is. 

Meanwhile, Hancock is to be grilled in the commons this morning and we've yet to hear so much as a squeak from Downing Street.

Doesn't look great, does it?

43 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The press don't see the irony in spending months telling us that Cummings was a lying toad and now quoting every comment he makes as gospel.....

Yep just headlines to sell advertising, don’t get all the fuss , man spurned , man spills the beans , majority of people know the beans anyway or at least knew there would be beans ??‍♂️, just a matter of whether Hancock can hang on until he is sacked at the proper scapegoat moment after inquiry ,

give it a year and the headlines will be how lockdowns were not needed and the incompetent panic stricken politicians have destroyed the country,,,,,,, no matter what side of the debate you sit you just know that’s how it will work 

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

All well and good, but since we showed them Europeans how to get vaccine supplies, I have been struggling to get wood.

* and some other building materials.

Prices going mad now and punch ups in builders merchants over a bag of cement??‍♂️,   

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Prices going mad now and punch ups in builders merchants over a bag of cement??‍♂️,   

Until we get concrete agreement on border tariffs the issues will continue. Them Europeans though, they seem ready to mix it. 

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

That was my thought in a nutshell. Where was his principles when he was of the opinion Johnson wasn’t fit to hold office ? Too busy milking the gravy train that’s where.

I have a strong dislike for Cummings and I'm sure he is vindictive, but people in government rarely take out against government whilst they're in government, no matter what they thought/think at the time.

We can remember people like Michael Heseltine and John Nott (if you're old enough) because grand gestures and resignations like that are so rare.

Even opponents of Trump like Mattis, Tillerson and Cohen waited until they were on the outside before speaking up.

Once you do speak out you lose your influence, so 99% of people in politics prefer to stay quiet and try to make changes from the inside.

Even Obama spoke of the need to sometimes just keep your mouth shut.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

That sounds like it should be true, but from the news reports I have read, it isn't.

I've only followed the BBC and The Guardian and they have just been reporting what Cummings has been saying.

In fact, that is pretty much what the BBC always do to the chagrin of right and left.

I never heard them say Cummings was lying then, and I have never heard them say he is being truthful now - they're just reporting.

They reported what he said then and they are reporting what he says now.

Lots of people took what was reported at the time and thought Cummings was clearly lying - me included - but I don't remember the media spending months telling us Cummings was lying then any more than they are telling us what he is saying is gospel now.

It just feels that way because of what other people say about the media.