The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Me and my partner had a good conversation about the past year and how it has affected us differently. It has been really difficult on many relationships and COVID has made us both more resilient to deal with all kinds of rubbish being thrown from every direction.

My career went down the toilet as soon as it was evident COVID was here to stay, I was absolutely devastated. I finally found a job I was really interested in, good people supporting me at work as well. I've always found jobs to be very tedious after awhile because I want to learn new things so this was an ideal fit. Thankfully I found something else fairly quickly but it has been a grind, getting moved to different shifts every couple of months hasn't been great for my health. Paying the bills was the most important thing on my mind. My partner's university course has been awful. Students getting a rough deal because the miscommunication and lack of support, COVID being every excuse for very simple questions. Adapting to change is tough but we've got through it. 

It's good to see some normality resuming. You take for granted seeing family and going out for a drink in a local. I'm happy to forget about the last 12 months now and look forward. Vaccine all booked too. 

Somebody told me today that some 2nd dose appointments have been bought forward without the patient being told ?

Logged on to the swiftqueue thingy that mine was booked through originally and sure enough my 2nd jab have been moved forward 9 days.

Strange how there isn't a email to this this effect, as some people are going to end up missing their appointment if they're not aware of the change.

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Had my vaccine today, pretty much an immediately heavy arm and just feels dead now but nothing major. #wegoagain

First or second dose? I had my second today. 

Had flu like symptoms from the first one 12 weeks ago. Lasted a couple of days.

6 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

First or second dose? I had my second today. 

Had flu like symptoms from the first one 12 weeks ago. Lasted a couple of days.

Just the first one. Pfizer. Heard from a few people with Pfizer that they just had the sore arm for the first day and no other symptoms but the 2nd dose was the one that knocked them a bit so will have to wait and see.

56 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Just the first one. Pfizer. Heard from a few people with Pfizer that they just had the sore arm for the first day and no other symptoms but the 2nd dose was the one that knocked them a bit so will have to wait and see.

Had the Pfizer - no effect after the first jab but then with the second a sore arm (and armpit) for 24 hours then nothing. Actually more discomfort from the annual flu jab.

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

@ThePrisoner I meant you must be youngsters if you're getting the Pfizer jab. Us oldies had to have AZ! 

FWIW, I had bad symptoms with my second jab, nothing with first.

Yeah I wasn't sure what I was expecting but hadn't realised they'd severely lowered the age limit for AZ jabs to under 30s only! I'd have been happy with whatever I was given truthfully!

On 23/05/2021 at 21:47, Rev said:

I cancelled my second appointment today, and immediately booked a quicker one far closer to home.

Same - had mine yesterday instead of in a couple of weeks

Feeling a bit meh today, but nothing a paracetomol won't sort

Friend of mine had her 2nd jab last thursday and tested positive for covid on Sunday - talk about bad timing. She works in a secondary school so it's not exactly a surprise, and hopefully her symptoms will remain mild

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Why are so many jabs being brought forward? What's changed?

The much higher protection offered by 2 jabs I suppose, combined with the Indian variant well on its way to becoming the dominant strain.

Possible that we've got some spare AZ to use up too, now it's not being offered to younger ages.

Edited by Rev
Afterthought

11 minutes ago, Rev said:

The much higher protection offered by 2 jabs I suppose, combined with the Indian variant well on its way to becoming the dominant strain.

Possible that we've got some spare AZ to use up too, now it's not being offered to younger ages.

I get the first two points, but they don't explain why we're suddenly able to move people forward. I'd imagine capacity has increased somehow.

I presume the second line explains it.

34 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I get the first two points, but they don't explain why we're suddenly able to move people forward. I'd imagine capacity has increased somehow.

I presume the second line explains it.

Probably getting to the age of the population that aren't to fussed about getting the jab - therefore freeing up capacity?

Does anyone know what the latest uptake figures are, especially amongst the under 45s?

Edited by maxjam

Booked my 2nd jab through the NHS website a while back but had a text from my doctors the other day which allowed me to bring forward the date by nearly 2 weeks (this Saturday, 29th).  Only had a slightly stuffy head after the first (AZ jab) so hoping for the same again, especially as I'm playing golf the next day.  

NHS England has released a statement to the effect that 2nd dose jobs are being brought forward in an effort to combat the threat of the Indian variant.  

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/05/C1290-COVID-19-vaccination-accelerating-second-doses-for-priority-cohorts-1-9-.pdf