The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Doesn't really seem to fit in with the data over the last 6 weeks.

Going back to your earlier post re lockdowns being the reason for cases going down last March, what is the reason this time?

The vaccine and the latest more benign mutation changed everything. Now speaking personally, if I have a sniffle/cold, I'm still going to do a home test 'just in case' - at least, for a while. I doubt that's the general attitude - it will be "Ah, it's probably a cold, I feel ok otherwise." So far, of my 4 boxes of tests, 1 (test) has been used as a precaution, because we spent a couple of days at my daughter's over Christmas.

Edited by Eddie

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I prefer to look at real world data to support my claims.

Don't know the ins and outs of his case to be honest.

Your last paragraph is a bit of a contradiction.

Not a contradiction. I happen to believe that madatory vaccination should be unnecessary except for people working in the health and care sector, where it is already mandatory for hepatitis. But i would respect the laws of places that decide to have mandatory vaccination for visitors to the country. 

Djokovic didn't have any valid exemption, whatever anyone might have told him. So he was not entitled to stay in Australia under the terms of  his visa. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The vaccine and the latest more benign mutation changed everything. Now speaking personally, if I have a sniffle/cold, I'm still going to do a home test 'just in case' - at least, for a while. I doubt that's the general attitude - it will be "Ah, it's probably a cold, I feel ok otherwise." So far, of my 4 boxes of tests, 1 (test) has been used as a precaution, because we spent a couple of days at my daughter's over Christmas.

But we already had the vaccine when cases went through the roof so that doesn't really stack up.

Is it a coincidence that the graph on case numbers without lockdowns mirrors the graph on case numbers with lockdowns?

45 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Not a contradiction. I happen to believe that madatory vaccination should be unnecessary except for people working in the health and care sector, where it is already mandatory for hepatitis. But i would respect the laws of places that decide to have mandatory vaccination for visitors to the country. 

Djokovic didn't have any valid exemption, whatever anyone might have told him. So he was not entitled to stay in Australia under the terms of  his visa. 

How many mandatory Hepatitis vaccinations do you have a year?

Djokovic had tested positive for Covid in the middle of December. 

He was less of cause for concern as far as the virus is concerned than someone who had received their second jab 3 months a go and was sat in the stands watching. 

I don't care if Australia want him there or not, but to say it was a decision on health grounds is just wrong. 

4 hours ago, Norman said:

He was less of cause for concern as far as the virus is concerned than someone who had received their second jab 3 months a go and was sat in the stands watching. 

I don't care if Australia want him there or not, but to say it was a decision on health grounds is just wrong. 

It would have looked bad for the mandatory vaccination lobby if a non vaxxed person, recently recovered from covid, won the tournament I suppose.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

You were very much in favour of a sovereign state being in a position to 'control our borders' a few years ago.

Why is there so much opposition to it now when it's somebody else's borders?

Just asking - and for the record, I think I'm inclined to agree with the 'what's the point?' argument given the as-now almost endemic nature of the milder variant of the disease.

Yes, there is no difference between deporting the world's best tennis player who followed all the rules that he was told to follow, and allowing freedom of movement for people to permanently live here? It's a false equivalency. 

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah suppose its not really any of my business what Australia chooses to do, would not be happy if our country was doing it though. 

Australia like every nation can choose who they do or don't want to enter their country. Why would you be unhappy for the UK to have the same control of who could enter our own country? Thought this is what brexit was all about, having control of our own borders and keeping jonny foreigner out.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Australia like every nation can choose who they do or don't want to enter their country. Why would you be unhappy for the UK to have the same control of who could enter our own country? Thought this is what brexit was all about, having control of our own borders and keeping jonny foreigner out.

Surely they need consistent rules though?

Novak has been thrown out, one other player left but what’s happened to the other 14 medical exemptions granted.

Novak wasn’t thrown out for incorrect information on his visa application.

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I'd be unhappy if we were blocking people from entering our country based on them not having a vaccination.

If you thought that was what Brexit was all about then I feel sorry for you.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd be unhappy if we were blocking people from entering our country based on them not having a vaccination.

If you thought that was what Brexit was all about then I feel sorry for you.

Never mentioned covid. I was pointing out that a country can set it's own rules for who can and can't come into their country. Something that was a primary issue for peolple voting for brexit.

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Never mentioned covid. I was pointing out that a country can set it's own rules for who can and can't come into their country. Something that was a primary issue for peolple voting for brexit.

Well I think its safe to assume that the post should be about Covid with it being the Coronavirus thread and the post being about Novak Djokovic.

Also, that isnt what you said, there is a huge difference between controlling immigration and 'keeping Johnny foreigner out' as you well know.

On 16/01/2022 at 13:43, Norman said:

0312CC1E-F2C6-47DA-A667-4528250D7A91.jpeg.e685248db9759971262a6521f08823d4.jpeg

On 16/01/2022 at 13:43, Norman said:

Still the right decision 

37 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Well, here I am. Finally caught it.

The best thing about it is you get to spend more time moderating the forum at a time it's really busy.

The worst bit about it is the tiredness, the raging pain in the throat, the coughing and sneezing.

Good job I had the vaccine. 

Hope you shake it off quickly.  Is that your first time? I seem to have avoided it, despite working with a lot of other people and no social distancing. Though I had something in January or February before the first lock down. Maybe that was it.