The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Philosophically it's a very difficult one - you could argue that it's very difficult to function in today's society without identifying ID already. Passports, driving licenses, National Insurance number, bank accounts - to do without all of them, you'd literally have to live in a squat and operate 100% on the black market

But somehow the idea of a new National ID card or a Vaccination Status card feels like an erosion of liberty too far - and I'd be against it

But I dont fully know why - compared to 30-40 years ago we are already tracked and monitotred through our lives in incredible detail. Maybe we prefer our erosions of liberty to be slow and silent and this just feels too obvious!

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Having a vaccination passport/national ID is in itself a good thing imo - if you've been jabbed, you are free to go about your business.

The concern is however that these things creep and governments change every few years, a vaccine passport could very easily morph into a credit score system similar to the one China uses and you could end up being denied real world services for not taking enough exercise, play computer games or having the wrong opinions etc.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

Its a NO from me!

Even with the continual rooster-ups from the current government, Labour are still a long way from being re-elected, so we can probably rule out any likelyhood of Chinese style monitoring in the forseeable future.

The bigger concern with any form of ID card is not really what is stored (governments already have vast amount of info about individuals) but the controls put in place around who can access the data. For instance the DVLA can probably put together a pretty convincing case to have access to a driver's medical records as it may help them keep medically unfit/unsafe drivers off the roads - but should they also be able to see that 20+ years ago you met a dodgy girl in a nightclub that left you with a bad dose of the clap?

Plus, if agencies with genuine requirements can access your data, it's only a (short) matter of time before that same data is available to those with more unsavoury reasons. Sorting out the mess when you've had your credit card details stolen is hard enough - wait til they can get hold of your full ID card info....

Once the data is pulled together and made easily available via an ID card, it's out there for good - that's a worry as there's no way back....  

14 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Philosophically it's a very difficult one - you could argue that it's very difficult to function in today's society without identifying ID already. Passports, driving licenses, National Insurance number, bank accounts - to do without all of them, you'd literally have to live in a squat and operate 100% on the black market

But somehow the idea of a new National ID card or a Vaccination Status card feels like an erosion of liberty too far - and I'd be against it

But I dont fully know why - compared to 30-40 years ago we are already tracked and monitotred through our lives in incredible detail. Maybe we prefer our erosions of liberty to be slow and silent and this just feels too obvious!

Don't forget once everyone has received the covid vaccine, Bill Gates will turn on the new tracker chip that as been injected into us all.

As we start to follow the roadmap to recovery, there's talk on how children are going to catch up on the education they have missed. One of the suggestion put forward is for a summer school, which all sounds fine but leaves a number question to how it will work in practice.

Will these lessons just be for certain years. Will the summer school just be for a couple of weeks or will it be spread over the entire summer break. Will there be enough teachers to cover the classes. What if the children's parents can only take certain weeks off from work for a holiday, do they give up a holiday for all the family or miss out on the extra schooling for one child.

Also are we not being constantly told of the benefits of a holiday to mind and body. I'm sure I've seen posters on here being despondent about not being able to take a trip abroad.

So I can only sympathise with parents who during this pandemic, have had to juggle doing home schooling while continuing with their citizensown jobs and the dilemma they face over a much needed family holiday or the education of their children.

Whenever I had to go overseas to work and live (over 24 years), I carried a NHS Vaccination Certificate, and later an Innoculation Record, which was issued by a private medical company called IHG, and I've still got them.

The NHS Certificate shows that I had the TAB (typhoid and paratyphoid A&B), followed by the Cholera jabs, in March and May 1983, respectively.

The IHG records shows that I had the Menengitis A&C jabs in June 1988; TAB 1&2 in Sept. 1988 and Cholera in November 1988.

Later on whilst I was with an international oil company, it was mandatory that I had the booster jabs for Polio, Typhoid, Yellow Fever and Cholera, which were all administered in March; May & September 2003, respectively.

In 2019, when I went out to India, and I had a further jabs for Yellow Fever and Typhoid.

And, I can assure you, if you ever wish to work and live in the Middle East or Asian countries, you will not be able to do so without all or most of the above vaccines.

Now, by carrying these certificates and records, where does it have any impact on my civil liberties? The conspiracy theories that the younger generation have in their heads just astound me and they have certainly had sheltered lives.

20 hours ago, Andicis said:

We're in the strictest lockdown in the developed world though? You were allowed to go to the park the first time around were you not? Ultimately, you're not going to get 100% compliance, but the rules are actually stricter now than in March of last year. Unless you're welding people into houses I don't see how you can make it stricter, or really why you'd want to.

During the real lockdown my local children’s play area was barricaded off, but we all know children don’t really spread the virus right?!

54 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Also are we not being constantly told of the benefits of a holiday to mind and body. I'm sure I've seen posters on here being despondent about not being able to take a trip abroad.

Before this last 12 months I would agree with you. However, with working from home for about 50-60% of my time, I've felt more relaxed and haven't had the need for a trip away. If it wasn't for getting married and going on our honeymoon, I wouldn't have used any work holidays this year, yet I don't feel any worse off for it.
I guess it's down to saving on all that travelling to and from work which has made all the difference.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

As we start to follow the roadmap to recovery, there's talk on how children are going to catch up on the education they have missed. One of the suggestion put forward is for a summer school, which all sounds fine but leaves a number question to how it will work in practice.

Will these lessons just be for certain years. Will the summer school just be for a couple of weeks or will it be spread over the entire summer break. Will there be enough teachers to cover the classes. What if the children's parents can only take certain weeks off from work for a holiday, do they give up a holiday for all the family or miss out on the extra schooling for one child.

So I can only sympathise with parents who during this pandemic, have had to juggle doing home schooling while continuing with their citizensown jobs and the dilemma they face over a much needed family holiday or the education of their children.

From BBC:

As part of the latest announcements, schools will have the option to run summer classes for pupils who need it most, potentially starting with those who will be moving up to Year 7 at secondary school this year.

The government says it will be up to schools to decide how and if they run summer schools, how long they will be, and which pupils will be invited to attend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56175893

No mention of it being all summer or compulsary. I guarantee people would be complaining if the government wasn't trying to help those kids who need it to catch up.

2 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

Whenever I had to go overseas to work and live (over 24 years), I carried a NHS Vaccination Certificate, and later an Innoculation Record, which was issued by a private medical company called IHG, and I've still got them.

The NHS Certificate shows that I had the TAB (typhoid and paratyphoid A&B), followed by the Cholera jabs, in March and May 1983, respectively.

The IHG records shows that I had the Menengitis A&C jabs in June 1988; TAB 1&2 in Sept. 1988 and Cholera in November 1988.

Later on whilst I was with an international oil company, it was mandatory that I had the booster jabs for Polio, Typhoid, Yellow Fever and Cholera, which were all administered in March; May & September 2003, respectively.

In 2019, when I went out to India, and I had a further jabs for Yellow Fever and Typhoid.

And, I can assure you, if you ever wish to work and live in the Middle East or Asian countries, you will not be able to do so without all or most of the above vaccines.

Now, by carrying these certificates and records, where does it have any impact on my civil liberties? The conspiracy theories that the younger generation have in their heads just astound me and they have certainly had sheltered lives.

All those vaccines? Any of them experimental? Or were they all established, tried and tested? 

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Don't forget once everyone has received the covid vaccine, Bill Gates will turn on the new tracker chip that as been injected into us all.

Nope , he’s too busy selling books on getting to zero carbon emissions now the vaccine is a goer ?

7 hours ago, Gaspode said:

The bigger concern with any form of ID card is not really what is stored (governments already have vast amount of info about individuals) but the controls put in place around who can access the data. For instance the DVLA can probably put together a pretty convincing case to have access to a driver's medical records as it may help them keep medically unfit/unsafe drivers off the roads - but should they also be able to see that 20+ years ago you met a dodgy girl in a nightclub that left you with a bad dose of the clap?

Plus, if agencies with genuine requirements can access your data, it's only a (short) matter of time before that same data is available to those with more unsavoury reasons. Sorting out the mess when you've had your credit card details stolen is hard enough - wait til they can get hold of your full ID card info....

Once the data is pulled together and made easily available via an ID card, it's out there for good - that's a worry as there's no way back....  

I think you will find it was you who gave it to me big boy

Edited by Archied

Drove past Forest rec today. In the car park there's a Covid vaccination centre, and a Covid testing facility.

Meanwhile on the pitches next to them, two full matches were taking place, one team in full kits! 

Another 50 or so people standing around watching, or playing smaller sided games.

Not a copper in sight.

58 minutes ago, Rev said:

Drove past Forest rec today. In the car park there's a Covid vaccination centre, and a Covid testing facility.

Meanwhile on the pitches next to them, two full matches were taking place, one team in full kits! 

Another 50 or so people standing around watching, or playing smaller sided games.

Not a copper in sight.

Who won?