The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I speak to a few schools and I know they have done literally hundreds and hundreds of tests without any positives. They are becoming increasingly concerned the tests need incredibly high levels before it delivers a positive. 

Based on what ? Have they found cases that haven't tested positive?

12 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Based on what ? Have they found cases that haven't tested positive?

No. They just think out of the literally hundreds and hundreds they are doing statistically they would have had one positive. 

Different teachers and pupils have at times done various random testing /pilots and they have had a few positives but no one has tested positive yet using the lateral flow tests. 

Edited by Chester40

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

No. They just think out of the literally hundreds and hundreds they are doing statistically they would have had one positive. 

Different teachers and pupils have at times done various random testing /pilots and they have had a few positives but no one has tested positive yet using the lateral flow tests. 

Some reports suggest they are only around 60% accurate but even then they are to be carried out 2-3 times per week. The basis is around the number of tests will increase the chances of detection, but it won't find a case if they haven't got it.

If they see a increase next week then maybe they have a point, but it seems that throughout the country we have had low returns. Given that we are seeing the virus cases declining, the schools have only just gone back and it would take a few days to transmit anyway, I wo  you I'd take it as good news rather than looking for something that probably isn't there.

Some other good news to report 

Pfizer announced the detailed results of the Israel data from real-world rollout of the Pfizer vaccine.

- 97% effective at preventing symptomatic infection, severe disease, and death
- 94% effective at preventing even asymptomatic infection (and thus onwards transmission)

https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2021/Real-World-Evidence-Confirms-High-Effectiveness-of-Pfizer-BioNTech-COVID-19-Vaccine-and-Profound-Public-Health-Impact-of-Vaccination-One-Year-After-Pandemic-Declared/default.aspx

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I speak to a few schools and I know they have done literally hundreds and hundreds of tests without any positives. They are becoming increasingly concerned the tests need incredibly high levels before it delivers a positive. 

Interesting, my wife starting feeling unwell last week , we took her for a test on Friday and she was positive, she’s not been well for about 5 days but on the mend now we are quarantined for the ten days , I have been one day behind her in symptoms but nowhere near as Heavy symptoms, did lateral flow test today ( daughter has some as a teacher) , came out negative, I’m 100 percent sure I have it??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

8 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Some reports suggest they are only around 60% accurate but even then they are to be carried out 2-3 times per week. The basis is around the number of tests will increase the chances of detection, but it won't find a case if they haven't got it.

If they see a increase next week then maybe they have a point, but it seems that throughout the country we have had low returns. Given that we are seeing the virus cases declining, the schools have only just gone back and it would take a few days to transmit anyway, I wo  you I'd take it as good news rather than looking for something that probably isn't there.

Agree.. these tests I'm referring to though have been going on through lockdown for vulnerable /key worker children as well as this first week back.  Not got any technical understanding myself, just reporting from a couple of the testers that weeks ago they stopped believing the tests worked. All sounds very 'conspiracy' type stuff, which they aren't. They wanted no positive tests, but weirdly they are now kinda wanting one to feel safe they work!

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Interesting, my wife starting feeling unwell last week , we took her for a test on Friday and she was positive, she’s not been well for about 5 days but on the mend now we are quarantined for the ten days , I have been one day behind her in symptoms but nowhere near as Heavy symptoms, did lateral flow test today ( daughter has some as a teacher) , came out negative, I’m 100 percent sure I have it??‍♂️

Look after yourselves you two.

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

Get well soon.

9 hours ago, Archied said:

Hope you all get well soon

We're down to basically a regular full ICU's worth of Covid patients now, so whilst still incredibly busy by normal standards, we're in a far far better than we were 2 months ago.

Vaccine has been the game changer and hopefully that continues as uptake increases further.

Increase in cases will happen as things start to open up and expect another week or so will see the impact of schools going back, but it's irrelevant if cases don't translate into serious disease.

Hopefully any malicious variants can be contained.

We're on the up.

18 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

We're down to basically a regular full ICU's worth of Covid patients now, so whilst still incredibly busy by normal standards, we're in a far far better than we were 2 months ago.

Vaccine has been the game changer and hopefully that continues as uptake increases further.

Increase in cases will happen as things start to open up and expect another week or so will see the impact of schools going back, but it's irrelevant if cases don't translate into serious disease.

We're on the up.

We certainly are. Looks like cases are staring to plateau now, which is as expected given where we are with the vaccination programme and the temporary decline / 2nd jabs.

As you say, expect an increase in cases, the worry is always that we still have a lot of the country that hasn't had a jab yet, so there is still a risk that these translate into serious cases. Given the age population left though, it would IMO need to be a big uplift in cases for this to materialise.

My own view is that we have had our "3rd Wave", it was just a continuation of the 2nd which is what other countries are seeing now. I don't think / hope there is anything to worry about, especially given the variant over in Germany I believe is the one that formed the mainstay of our cases. 

29 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

We're on the up.

Vaccine has helped but this thing comes and goes in waves.  In Spain we are nowhere near any significant vaccination levels and yet our figures have reduced dramatically.  Wave 1 in the south, heavy lockdown limited cases, wave 2 limited lockdown massive increase in deaths and the only thing I can think is that the ones in wave 2 would have been caught by wave 1 if the lockdown was different.  We are slowly e[leaving lockdown but there is a great fear about Easter

Had to go to the Royal for a blood test yesterday - astonished at the casual approach to social distancing evident from pretty much everyone I came into contact with. I got there early so there were obviously large numbers of people arriving for work - they swarmed across road crossings, across the main concourse and through the main entrance and marched down the main coridor 3 abreast - it was impossible to stay anywhere near 2m away from them. There were people standing in groups chatting and as I waited to be called in a large number of staff walked past very close by - again a number in groups having a chat....If it wasn't for the fact that most people were wearing masks (and the numerous covid signs which were being ignored) it wouldn't have been at all obvious that there we were in the middle of a pandemic.

Also couldn't believe that people were allowed to walk through the main entrance without masks and then collect a mask from a bloke standing inside - seems the only people taking things seriously were the out-patients...I left (again walking past people in groups waiting for buses, having a cigarette or just chatting) feeling totally demoralised that the general public have in the main obeyed 'the rules' yet the very people we trust to supposedly keep us safe don't seem to give a toss....

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Had to go to the Royal for a blood test yesterday - astonished at the casual approach to social distancing evident from pretty much everyone I came into contact with. I got there early so there were obviously large numbers of people arriving for work - they swarmed across road crossings, across the main concourse and through the main entrance and marched down the main coridor 3 abreast - it was impossible to stay anywhere near 2m away from them. There were people standing in groups chatting and as I waited to be called in a large number of staff walked past very close by - again a number in groups having a chat....If it wasn't for the fact that most people were wearing masks (and the numerous covid signs which were being ignored) it wouldn't have been at all obvious that there we were in the middle of a pandemic.

Also couldn't believe that people were allowed to walk through the main entrance without masks and then collect a mask from a bloke standing inside - seems the only people taking things seriously were the out-patients...I left (again walking past people in groups waiting for buses, having a cigarette or just chatting) feeling totally demoralised that the general public have in the main obeyed 'the rules' yet the very people we trust to supposedly keep us safe don't seem to give a toss....

Pretty much describes the daily routine in and around my factory tbh.

57 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The vast majority of those staff will have been vaccinated at least once (and some twice.) 

I know it doesn't excuse the behaviour but they have to get up close and personal with patients every day so there's bound to be a certain amount of acceptance of their situation.

55 minutes ago, angieram said:

The vast majority of those staff will have been vaccinated at least once (and some twice.) 

I know it doesn't excuse the behaviour but they have to get up close and personal with patients every day so there's bound to be a certain amount of acceptance of their situation.

I know where you're coming from but until the social distancing rules have been relaxed, then no-one should think they have a right decide for themselves whether they obey or not.

Stats show that vacinated people have a far smaller chance of passing on the virus, but it's not 100% so they all have a duty to be considerate to others that they come into contact with (reports this morning also suggested that vaccine take up amongst hospital staff was around 90% due to pregancy or other medical conditions preventing some staff from having the jab). If I pick up the virus I could pass it to elderly relatives - I've been very careful during the pandemic, but I don't see why I (and my family) should be put at risk because others (who should know better) are complacent.

The NHS have rightly been praised for the sterling job they did treating people during the worst of the pandemic, but I'm hearing an increasing number of reports of people going into hospitals without Covid and then contracting the virus - a number of whom have subsequently died.....from my short visit yesterday, it's apparent why that's happening.

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Had to go to the Royal for a blood test yesterday - astonished at the casual approach to social distancing evident from pretty much everyone I came into contact with.

As an aside I book my blood tests at the Babington in Belper now, rather than the Royal. Free parking, similar travel time and virtually deserted. If I time it right I can walk up the stairs, straight to the seat, bloods done, back down the other stairs and into my car within about 3 minutes

Sith Happens
53 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

As an aside I book my blood tests at the Babington in Belper now, rather than the Royal. Free parking, similar travel time and virtually deserted. If I time it right I can walk up the stairs, straight to the seat, bloods done, back down the other stairs and into my car within about 3 minutes

Do my at Heanor. So much better since covid started with the booking system rather than just turn up and wait.

Hope they maintain it after,