Lee Gregory, signed on loan for the rest of the season.

Bubbles

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

When I mentioned your own agenda it was a general point. Non person specific.

Original points still stand. 

But yer you're not going to admit that either Rooney was being economical with the truth or in fact he was telling the truth absolutely so can't see much point in progressing this.

Have we signed anyone yet. 

Guys- I've been tempted in the past to put both of you on ignore, but decided not too as occassionally I'll be interested in something one or the other of you has to say...but this is getting fecking RIDICULOUS. Could you at least try to keep vaguely on topic (clue:@ the topic is in the name of the thread which in this case is Lee Gregory - something you both appear to have forgotten). Alternatively ios there any chane you can take your petty squabbles somewhere else (The Jim Smith Room for example) and leave this to news/opinions about Gregory?

And to drag this post back on topic - I happen to think that Gregory will be a decent signing - always a nuisance when he's played against us and will offer an alternative to CKR for the last 30 minutes of games or if Big Col gets injured/too knackered to play every game....

He’s a a decent championship striker nothing more, nothing less.

He’ll help maintain the physical presence up top allowing Kaz a rest and we can revisit the position in the summer.

This is where we are right now, he won’t suit some of the snobby fans we have, but it’s been a long time since we actually bought players in that gave us the attributes needed for this division.

Rooney is also heavily constrained here. No money, just above the relegation zone, club in an unstable period and he’s fishing in a smaller pond now a large chunk of foreign talent is no longer available due to the new restrictions.

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

And to drag this post back on topic - I happen to think that Gregory will be a decent signing - always a nuisance when he's played against us and will offer an alternative to CKR for the last 30 minutes of games or if Big Col gets injured/too knackered to play every game....

Yes he had a decent few seasons at Milwall but for whatever reason(s) has failed to replicate this at Stoke. 

Probably best described as a solid, experienced Championship player. 

Was hoping for more of a flair player but windows still open so still time.

20 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Guys- I've been tempted in the past to put both of you on ignore, but decided not too as occassionally I'll be interested in something one or the other of you has to say...but this is getting fecking RIDICULOUS. Could you at least try to keep vaguely on topic (clue:@ the topic is in the name of the thread which in this case is Lee Gregory - something you both appear to have forgotten). Alternatively ios there any chane you can take your petty squabbles somewhere else (The Jim Smith Room for example) and leave this to news/opinions about Gregory?

By the way. You're right. Enough said. 

Sensible signing as he is local, available, experienced, on loan ( contract ends at the end of the season at Stoke) cheaper than most forward options and something that Rooney wants a Workhorse up front 

do people remember Kuci and Dikov both were excellent for us on loan whilst everyone moaned when we signed them because they never had a record of scoring goals - they were both workhorses and scored a few whilst making others around them better for the team. 
CKR and Gregory are in the same mould and our battle is getting to the end of the season in the championship and re looking at what finances we have available then in this covid affected reality of the championship financially 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

I remember Paul playing against us for Blackburn, may have been the second leg of the play-offs, and someone behind me shouted:

"Get that Dickov"

I'm still laughing now ?

STILL laughing? Or you’ve resumed laughing? 

a twenty-seven year fit of laughing sounds like hell! 

The only concern for me with Gregory is will he suffer from ‘Martin syndrome’?

You look at Martin. He always scored goals here and always seemed to play his best football here. He was a good fit for the team and the style of play encouraged here. He has gone to other clubs in the Championship and has had far more mixed results.

In the same way, Gregory has only really produced regularly for Millwall and his style of play - working hard, running the hard yards, being a nuisance for defenders, using his pace to get in behind and being able to find or create space in the box - seemed to just fit for Millwall.

It is fair to say that he hasn’t had quite the same impact at Stoke, although many good players have struggled to replicate their best form there.

It’s an interesting one. Not a signing that will necessarily jump off the page at you or get you dancing in your living room when it’s announced, but he could have a similar impact to the one Sam Winnall had here under Rowett and pop up with some important goals.

Fingers crossed.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

STILL laughing? Or you’ve resumed laughing? 

a twenty-seven year fit of laughing sounds like hell! 

Yeah, you got me.
More precisely: "I still laugh every time I think about it".
I wish my life could be a 27 year old spell of laughter but let's not go down that path.

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Too many off thread posters. Come on.

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You look at Martin. He always scored goals here and always seemed to play his best football here. He was a good fit for the team and the style of play encouraged here. He has gone to other clubs in the Championship and has had far more mixed results.

In the same way, Gregory has only really produced regularly for Millwall and his style of play - working hard, running the hard yards, being a nuisance for defenders, using his pace to get in behind and being able to find or create space in the box - seemed to just fit for Millwall.

It is fair to say that he hasn’t had quite the same impact at Stoke, although many good players have struggled to replicate their best form there.

It’s an interesting one. Not a signing that will necessarily jump off the page at you or get you dancing in your living room when it’s announced, but he could have a similar impact to the one Sam Winnall had here under Rowett and pop up with some important goals.

Fingers crossed.

Who's Martin ?

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Fingers crossed.

Perhaps we are more like Millwall than what we would like to think. Rock hard to beat, likely to lose by a single goal to them. Ex football player as a manager. Nah.

Archived